Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Lexus GX460

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I think Prado and GX have always offered quite good driving skills... it is billion times better car IMHO than RX450h...
only a billion, huh? why do you say this? certainly it's MUCH more capable off road in crazy situations, but on the road? i like the RX better, although the RX isn't quite as luxurious inside.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The RX350, for a number of people, is not only, IMO, a better and less-expensive overall daily-driver for on-pavement work, but is also very refined, and drives like a silk purse.
agreed.

the high, narrow stance and high center-of-gravity, even with the stability-control, makes me a little nervous in sudden sharp corners or if you have to swerve abruptly to aavoid hitting something.
maybe you're influenced by consumer reports having previously called the vehicle unsafe or something like that? after which lexus changed the stability control program? or maybe your perception is unduly influenced by it's shape, because i certainly have zero concerns about being 'tipsy'. i drove a gx on an off road course even with all kinds of banks and dips and it's wonderful.

even a london bus is surprisingly unlikely to tip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2_T4WVnnFU

it has been built from components that are significantly higher quality and more durable than RX... it is going to last... forever.
i agree it's likely to be a whole lot more durable, if someone treats either like crap or keeps it for 15 years.
Old 03-22-11, 08:16 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.

Well, two things. First, the interior-trim was so nice that it tended to keep you fully-awake just looking at it. Second, (if you saw some of my subsequent posts), the vehicle's tall, narrow stance, despite the standard stability-control system, made me somewhat nervous about its center-of-gravity, especially during some of the more-aggressive steering inputs I gave it (I wasn't dumb enough, though, to really try something stupid).
Hmm..........

I think interior is okay-ish (though the steering wheel is a bit brutish)

However, when I look at the exterior

While it's not offensive, it's still makes me go to sleep (like that Toyota Avalon which is booooooooooooring as well)

It's too bad though because I've felt that the LX 570 still looks more dynamic (even if it is a bigger vehicle). The kind of dynamism that separates it from big bulk bricks like the Escalade or the Expedition.

With that GX 460, I've felt they've taken a step back compared to the predecessor. As I've said, it's not bad............but I feel they've taken things way too safe.

In short, it is a decent or okay Lexus SUV. However, I wouldn't even be caught in it nor would I ever shell out money to own one.

Two cents.........

P.S.
And man, with how boring this new GX 460 is, I can't believe that I would say this but that new Lexus RX350 is really starting to look damn refined imho.
Old 03-22-11, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
MM, are you sure that the metro DC new car market is larger than the metro NYC, Chicago, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Philadelphia, Houston, Miami etc.?

All of these areas have larger populations, with varying degrees of public transportation systems, meaning potentially more new car buyers.
I know that the Washington, DC is not the largest metropolitan area in physical size, though its suburban sprawl has gotten tremendous....somewhat like L.A.'s on a slightly smaller scale. But there is a LOT of money in the D.C. area, and, because of its vast suburban sprawl and the limted bus/subway network, a lot of people buy and drive private cars. That is also reflected in the large number of auto-dealerships here. No, we're not Los Angeles (yet), but the local auto market here can go up against (or beat) just about anyone else in the country, even NYC. The thing in NYC, despite its huge population, is that so many people there take cabs or public transit instead of private cars.
Old 03-22-11, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe you're influenced by consumer reports having previously called the vehicle unsafe or something like that? after which lexus changed the stability control program? or maybe your perception is unduly influenced by it's shape, because i certainly have zero concerns about being 'tipsy'. i drove a gx on an off road course even with all kinds of banks and dips and it's wonderful.
Maybe....hard to say. Part of it may (?) be a psychological thing with high, narrow vehicles, but I have, in fact, seen too many SUVs and minivans in my area lying on their sides or roof. In fact, not too long ago, on foot, I watched a 16-year-old kid flip a Ford Aerostar on its roof right in front of me. I went up to help, of course, and, fortunately, he was unhurt....he was well-belted-in.

even a london bus is surprisingly unlikely to tip!
Aren't the double-decker buses generally operated at quite-slow speeds? After all, they are often used as tour-buses....and you can't rush past the sights.

i agree it's likely to be a whole lot more durable, if someone treats either like crap or keeps it for 15 years.
Local Toyota dealerships in my area sell used 4Runners (which, of course, the GX is derived from) with 175-180K miles on them.....and they often run a lot longer than that.
Old 03-22-11, 01:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Aren't the double-decker buses generally operated at quite-slow speeds? After all, they are often used as tour-buses....and you can't rush past the sights.

No and no, specifically not a majority in England. I've ridden in several at speed around corners and yes it's eye-opening as you would imagine.

(Yes, we discussed this before, with actual feedback for a change from those that actually rode in these)

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-22-11 at 01:17 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-22-11, 01:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

D4D is Toyota for Diesel with high pressure direct injection. All Toyota diesels carry this moniker.

3.0 1KD-FTV is Land Cruiser Prado 4cly engine, that now makes 190hp and 302lbft in latest update since 2010... it gets 35 MPG Imperial in Prado.

It is not fast, but it would probably easily get you real life 30mpg in US 4Runner.... but it is nowhere as fast as GR in 4Runner thats for sure.

It is quite reliable for an diesel too...
Old 03-22-11, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

D4D is Toyota for Diesel with high pressure direct injection. All Toyota diesels carry this moniker.

3.0 1KD-FTV is Land Cruiser Prado 4cly engine, that now makes 190hp and 302lbft in latest update since 2010... it gets 35 MPG Imperial in Prado.

It is not fast, but it would probably easily get you real life 30mpg in US 4Runner.... but it is nowhere as fast as GR in 4Runner thats for sure.

It is quite reliable for an diesel too...
Thanks. I'll keep my part of the deal now.
Old 03-22-11, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
No and no, specifically not a majority in England. I've ridden in several at speed around corners and yes it's eye-opening as you would imagine.
Paul (bitkahuna), however, does have a point......one does not often hear of the double-decker busses actually flipping, despite the bean-pole center-of-gravity.

I may (?) have over-emphasized the GX's high, narrow stance, but vehicles like that traditionally make me nervous on hard cornering or sharp steering inputs, even with VSC. The Ford/Volvo Roll-Control VSC system, of course, provides even more protection, but (to my knowledge) it is not available on Lexus products

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-11 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-22-11, 03:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I know that the Washington, DC is not the largest metropolitan area in physical size, though its suburban sprawl has gotten tremendous....somewhat like L.A.'s on a slightly smaller scale. But there is a LOT of money in the D.C. area, and, because of its vast suburban sprawl and the limted bus/subway network, a lot of people buy and drive private cars. That is also reflected in the large number of auto-dealerships here. No, we're not Los Angeles (yet), but the local auto market here can go up against (or beat) just about anyone else in the country, even NYC. The thing in NYC, despite its huge population, is that so many people there take cabs or public transit instead of private cars.
Yes, rerun and somewhat offtopic again, we've been over that.

Highest income metro areas (in order of income ranking):

1. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose (7.2 million people)
2. Washington DC-MD-VA-WV (7.6 million people)
11. Chicago area (9.2 million people)
12. New York area (21.2 million people)
43. LA area (16.3 million people)

These areas all have vast suburban sprawl, limited mass transit available to the majority of people in sprawling land areas, huge number of new car dealerships, most people drive private cars. Sure the huge NYC is by far the largest truly dense urban city setting, but speculation about other stuff is just that, speculation.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-22-11 at 03:48 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-22-11, 03:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Paul (bitkahuna), however, does have a point......one does not often hear of the double-decker busses actually flipping, despite the bean-pole center-of-gravity.

I may (?) have over-emphasized the GX's high, narrow stance, but vehicles like that traditionally make me nervous on hard cornering or sharp steering inputs, even with VSC. The Ford/Volvo Roll-Control VSC system, of course, provides even more protection, but (to my knowledge) it is not available on Lexus products
Yes, I never saw a double-decker bus flopped over on its side in England.

Yes, casual perceptions are like that. I noticed you never made mention of the actual track dimensions versus the actual height dimension of the vehicle, because the actual ratio of these dimensions is not unusual in this class of SUV.

The main safety element of the Ford/Volvo Roll-Control is the stability control system, which is not unique to Ford. I have a SUV in my garage with the Ford/Volvo system.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-22-11 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-22-11, 04:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, casual perceptions are like that. I noticed you never made mention of the actual track dimensions versus the actual height dimension of the vehicle, because the actual ratio of these dimensions is not unusual in this class of SUV.
In reviews, I usually don't actually type up the physical dimensions of the vehicles because I include the official manufacturer web-site at the top, which has that data and specs. I'll make mention of them, now and then, if I need to make a point.

The main safety element of the Ford/Volvo Roll-Control is the stability control system, which is not unique to Ford. I have a SUV in my garage with the Ford/Volvo system.
True, the RCS includes VSC, but with additional sensors that detect body-roll. It just provides one more layer of protection.
Old 03-22-11, 04:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes, rerun and somewhat offtopic again, we've been over that.

Highest income metro areas (in order of income ranking):

1. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose (7.2 million people)
2. Washington DC-MD-VA-WV (7.6 million people)
11. Chicago area (9.2 million people)
12. New York area (21.2 million people)
43. LA area (16.3 million people)

These areas all have vast suburban sprawl, limited mass transit available to the majority of people in sprawling land areas, huge number of new car dealerships, most people drive private cars. Sure the huge NYC is by far the largest truly dense urban city setting, but speculation about other stuff is just that, speculation.
I've never seen any information on the ranking of the actual largest new vehicle markets in the U.S. Certainly average incomes come into play, but regular folks buy new vehicles too, hence my thought that the more people in a given metro area, the more new vehicles are sold.
Old 03-22-11, 04:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

In reviews, I usually don't actually type up the physical dimensions of the vehicles because I include the official manufacturer web-site at the top, which has that data and specs. I'll make mention of them, now and then, if I need to make a point.

It's not a matter of typing up all the physical dimensions. It is a matter of referencing only the dimensions that are relevant to the point you are trying to make.

Something to seriously consider, especially if attempting to make a point about tippiness or whatever. In this case it would have been relevant (the facts). And without the facts, you saw how your comments on tippiness were not taken seriously, viewed as casual observations unsupported by facts.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-23-11 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-22-11, 04:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've never seen any information on the ranking of the actual largest new vehicle markets in the U.S. Certainly average incomes come into play, but regular folks buy new vehicles too, hence my thought that the more people in a given metro area, the more new vehicles are sold.
Yes, that's why I don't encourage endless pontification and speculation on new vehicle market size in the US without facts.

You can see (middle of the road) LA's income rankings, but the sheer population in such a huge sprawling area obviously leads to actual reported new car sales in huge numbers, including those bought by regular folks. Your thoughts on sheer population size leading to vehicle sales has been proven in the US, since only a small percentage of population lives in a downtown New York setting.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-22-11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-22-11, 04:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

but I have, in fact, seen too many SUVs and minivans in my area lying on their sides or roof.
wow, i've never seen a one. the only car i saw flipped was a civic.

not at all. check out this double decker on a skid pad.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=41745

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Lexus GX460