Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you want a V6, cheaper, LS?
Yes
51.16%
No
48.84%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Will There Ever Be A V6 LS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-11, 11:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

some of you just keep on talking about the power from new v6 vs old v8, but you are missing that the tq from the v6 can hardly match that of the v8, even the old ones. my gs350 is making the same hp as my old gs400 and sc430, it's even faster, but on high speed pick up and smoothness, i would still take my old v8 any day. when it comes down to luxury car, smoothness and quietness is the key, and tq helps a lot. v8 shines big time here.

on the other hand, why not compare new v6 vs new v8? the v8 now pushes even more hp and more tq, making the ride even better and smoother.

not discrediting all the new v6 here, they are efficient and powerful. but when pushing something that's north of 4000lb, tq from displacement plays a good role too
Old 03-20-11, 11:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Will they roll up in the same car with a V6? I personally don't think so, but times are changing.

Well the V8 variants aren't going anywhere soon so this whole "X car should not have V6" stuff is nonsense. As long as Toyota isn't offering a 4cyl NA engine, then it's fine with a V6 at minimum. I say yes, offer a V6, but only if you keep the V8 an an option for those who are thirsty for cylinder counts.
Old 03-20-11, 11:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
BMW is rocking a V6 7 series, and even Mercedes is sporting a V6 model. Are you telling me that both of these don't scream luxury?

The way I see it, I think Lexus should join this V6 Flagship Sedan wagon. It's base msrp is already starting $15k less than the BMW, and almost $20k compared to the Benz.

The V6 model of the bmw is at $70k, and the benz at $92k!

Imagine a V6 Lexus starting at $57k, that wouldn't dominate the market?

It will even ruin the sales of the hyundai Equus, which is starting at $58k, that's $1k more than the V6 model (If Lexus ever decides to make it, and I hope it does!)
sorry, no disrespect at all, but they screams more like posers to me. kind of remind me of the very old 318ti.

for those who really have enough dough for luxury cars from 70-90k, they can really care less about the 500 bucks "extra" in gas a year. people i know (here in the US at least, i don't care about other regions) who can really afford the s550, they just buy the car like that and drive. they don't go and ask if there can be a v6 version and take 10k off the sticker
Old 03-20-11, 11:22 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
some of you just keep on talking about the power from new v6 vs old v8, but you are missing that the tq from the v6 can hardly match that of the v8, even the old ones. my gs350 is making the same hp as my old gs400 and sc430, it's even faster, but on high speed pick up and smoothness, i would still take my old v8 any day. when it comes down to luxury car, smoothness and quietness is the key, and tq helps a lot. v8 shines big time here.
Henry, the 1UZ-FE from the 98+ era are substantially more powerful than the early 90s 1UZ. I wouldn't consider the 98+ V8 to be too "old". Have you driven a 1990 LS400 or even a 1992 SC400? Those engines have less torque than the current 3.5L V6 engines. Torque is not much of a problem with today's transmission. Torque can be manipulated by gear multiplication and with the number of gears we have (8spd), the driver will probably not notice the deficit. Those who are opting to buy a V6 LS aren't looking for highway runs anyways. They got the LS460 for that.

It's all relative. Obviously a V6 isn't going to beat a V8 from the same era, but at the same time, a V8 pales in comparison to a V10. Why stop there? Go with a V12! It makes everything else feel unrefined and slow.

I don't see a V6 making the LS any less luxurious, in the same way I don't see a V6 in a GS as less 'sporty.' Gas mileage may not be an issue for those who spend $70k on a car, but there are always a group of people who wants to leave a smaller carbon footprint for whatever odd reason. Those who want the V8 can always opt for it at the dealership. In fact, make the V8 standard, but offer the V6 as an eco-tree-hugging-green-save-the-world optional package.
Old 03-20-11, 11:37 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

for those who really have enough dough for luxury cars from 70-90k, they can really care less about the 500 bucks "extra" in gas a year. people i know (here in the US at least, i don't care about other regions) who can really afford the s550, they just buy the car like that and drive. they don't go and ask if there can be a v6 version and take 10k off the sticker

And that's why I love that my SC430 only gets 18.1 mpg on Premium. I love every minute of driving that thing.

I love the fact that it's quiet when I want it to be and it roars when I gas it.

Last edited by huy33; 03-20-11 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-20-11, 11:54 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the other hand, why not compare new v6 vs new v8? the v8 now pushes even more hp and more tq, making the ride even better and smoother.
Let's not forget about the efficiency of the new Lexus's V8s. I drive LS460 sometimes down to LA and always amaze that it gets 28MPG avg.
Old 03-20-11, 12:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

sorry, no disrespect at all, but they screams more like posers to me. kind of remind me of the very old 318ti.

due to high gas prices, European market has evolved from who has bigger one to who has nicer one... same will happen to the USA when gas goes over $5-$6.

If not, whole class will die out and people will buy Avalons.
Old 03-20-11, 12:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 474 Likes on 364 Posts

As another compario, the Panamera in V8 and V6. The V6 is no slug but against the 8 it is a difference. Of course the perception of trim levels on the flagship is going to speak for itself and that is what buyers will want in the segregation.

I don't know if I like the dilution of so many flavors among one model. BMW and Benz play that way so if Lexus wants the cut for those segments, the engine options allows them in. What I ponder is an economy engine V6 or an AMG/M level build. Given the gas issues, the V6 is a more conservative option though either end can have appeal.
Old 03-20-11, 01:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think it will and should happen,but it will have lost some of its luxury. Part of the luxury that I enjoy in my LS460 is the luxury to pass and pass quickly.
Old 03-20-11, 02:16 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kaydee
haha that's why I don't consider them proper luxury cars....just rebadged economy cars.
It's just as much of a luxury car as the s550. Rebadged economy car really?
Old 03-20-11, 03:52 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
I hope they never put V6 in the LS flagship unless it's a hybrid with huge electric motor.
Which could be a reality. An LS450h would be great. But I wouldn't be surprised if Lexus were preparing a 350h style powertrain for the likes of the RX, ES, and a variant for the RWD GS. Given the very efficient A8 hybrid, an LS 350h might be a wise offering, particularily for the Chinese who are gung ho about hybrids.

Now it was rumored for a long time that an LS350 and LS350 AWD were coming. If these offerings did anything to lower the price on this car I am all for it, given the skyrocketing prices of vehicles in this segment.
Old 03-20-11, 03:54 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

6cyl going into the 7 or S is just a joke and I'll feel the same way if it happens with the LS just as I would with any other luxury flagship line. Not only do I feel it cheapens the lineup, but there are practical considerations too.

Having spent time in the refreshed IS 350, the one huge way in which my F is a better DD is the larger displacement V8. It makes a tremendous practical difference in daily driving characteristics. The F certainly has a silky smooth transmission but it's the greater displacement V8 that really does it. The low rpm torque allows a much greater range of possible acceleration while keeping rpm down and that results in much smoother shifts. It's such a difference in my mind that I would choose the F every time even for pure DD use despite having a much stiffer ride, losing amenities like cooled seats, etc.

Lexus and Toyota generally are very eco-oriented especially with regard to the Japanese market, so I could see a 450h-ish model, likely based on the same 2GR-FSE hybrid system in the GS. I guess I would borderline accept such a model based on GS 450h reviews which likened the low end torque to a typical V8.
Old 03-20-11, 04:51 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
6cyl going into the 7 or S is just a joke and I'll feel the same way if it happens with the LS just as I would with any other luxury flagship line. Not only do I feel it cheapens the lineup, but there are practical considerations too.
I think too many of you are obsessing on the number of cylinders. Its about the #s. The 740 for example has quite a bit of torque @ 330 ft. lbs. and is a pretty quick car. Quicker than the majority of its V8 predecessors.
Old 03-20-11, 05:23 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

How about a LS450H Hybird like the GS450H.....
Old 03-20-11, 06:55 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say they give it a V6 as an option. A lot of people don't really care how many cylinders are in the car, as long as they pull up in a certain model car. Case in point is the current IS250. A lot (if not most) people opt for the lower model because it offers the same look for less money.

Obviously, you don't want to install an engine that will be underpowered. I guess that's why MB's uses diesel engines to take advantage of their added torque.

Quick Reply: Will There Ever Be A V6 LS?