Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you want a V6, cheaper, LS?
Yes
51.16%
No
48.84%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Will There Ever Be A V6 LS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 10:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
With engines becoming more economical and fuel efficient from before, the old v8 is the new v6. Smaller engine that produces near similar performance output of a larger engine, all the while keeping gas costs down and MPG up
while modern v6's may equal or surpass power of older v8's, they aren't even close in terms or smoothness or low end responsiveness. in similar fashion a v12 is smoother and even more responsive than a v8, although not many of them offered now.

Originally Posted by rominl
why not compare new v6 vs new v8? the v8 now pushes even more hp and more tq, making the ride even better and smoother.
good point.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I think too many of you are obsessing on the number of cylinders. Its about the #s. The 740 for example has quite a bit of torque @ 330 ft. lbs. and is a pretty quick car. Quicker than the majority of its V8 predecessors.
i agree it's not about numbers, but even with similar numbers there's a HUGE difference in the way a v6 vs. v8 DRIVES.

for those who really have enough dough for luxury cars from 70-90k, they can really care less about the 500 bucks "extra" in gas a year. people i know (here in the US at least, i don't care about other regions) who can really afford the s550, they just buy the car like that and drive. they don't go and ask if there can be a v6 version and take 10k off the sticker
i disagree. i'd bet more than 50% of those 70-90k cars are LEASED and often by people who can't really afford them. they're exactly the right target for more 'poser-ish' vehicles.

Originally Posted by spwolf
due to high gas prices, European market has evolved from who has bigger one to who has nicer one... same will happen to the USA when gas goes over $5-$6.
not just gas prices, of course many places there increase the tax and registration for cars based on engine size or number of cylinders, in more of the same 'soak the rich' mentality.

If not, whole class will die out and people will buy Avalons.
i think we're headed that way globally more and more. the high end cars won't die off completely, but fewer and fewer will be able to afford them, and most of them will be leased.

Originally Posted by UDel
Not only do I think there will be a V6 LS I would be very surprised if the next version does not have some kind of V6 option whether it be a NA v6, v6 hybrid, or FI v6.
i agree. i'd say almost certainly, since bmw, porsche, mercedes are all doing it. besides they pretty much HAVE to do it because of draconian epa reg deadlines looming.

You can blame tough government EPA regulations as to why you are seeing more and more v8 options disappear as well as 4 cylinders replacing 6 cylinders, v8s replacing v10/v12, 6 cylinders replacing v8s, smaller engines being offering where they were never thought to be offered, etc. Unfortunately it is only going to get worse in the years to come.
ah, same thought.

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I remember reading somewhere there are more Mercedes in OC than in all of Germany.
well you read wrong.

A V6 LS would be bad imo. Why fix it if it isn't broken.
government gun to their heads and global recession (linked by the way), that's why.

Originally Posted by gengar
As discussed by many posts in this thread, it's about the low-end torque, not the max hp at 6000+ rpm. The LS is not designed to be a sport sedan; it's a luxury sedan, so it needs to not have to rev up to move.

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Without a V8 the LS will have to work too hard and greatly diminish how refined it is. Old people the primary buyers of the LS want low end tq. I say if they add a v6 it needs a turbo. Otherwise no v6 ever in flagship models.
define 'old' plus, a lot of 'old' people tend to be more frugal (diff. generation) even relatively when buying luxury items.
Old 03-21-11, 11:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

come on, the 1UZ-FE is already good 13 yrs old, that's as far as i would go. if we have to go all the way back to the v8 from 20 yrs ago, then to me it's like doing whatever it takes to say the v6 is better. heck, v4 today is more powerful than a lot of engines from 40 yrs ago, we should put that in the LS too?

cars are getting heavier and heavier these days, so engines just have to go up at the same time. to me allowing discussion of current v6 with v8 from 10 yrs ago is as far as i would go. more than that and it's kind of pointless.
Well the gap between the 2GR-FSE and the last non-vvti 1UZ was only 10 years so I say it's not too bad .

and i don't care about tranny and such, my gs350 simply doesn't make any kind of tq the v8 in my gs400 and sc430. just talk about 70mph pick up and how the rpm spike on my gs350 and how my previous v8 simply breezed through it and that told me right the way already. same with my wife, we had had quite a few v8 (gs400, sc430, ls460l) before the gs350. when she first drove it on the freeway, she said "umm it seems to work harder and not as powerful"
Henry, transmission is everything. It's between the engine and the wheels and it's the reason why you have torque at the wheel. The gears multiple the engine torque at the expense of RPM, but given enough gears, the driver may not even notice it. There is a reason why the LS430 is faster/quicker than the Q45 even though the LS engine was at a big disadvantage in both horsepower and torque. It simply had more torque at the wheel, where it actually matters, not the engine.

with that said, i am not against if lexus make a hybrid ls450h or something like that, coz' that's like v8 power and like you said better carbon footprint. even the 740il, to some extend i think it's more "ok" since it's turbo charged.

when looking at the topic here, i think it's strictly with v6 NA. any type of hybrid or forced induction and i think it's something else already.
Well what if Toyota released a 3.8L V6 that is more powerful than the former 1uz-fe (vvti) in both hp and low end torque? Would you support that? Or because the cylinder count is not 8; it's discredited despite its performance?

I know a lot of this has to do with ego because it's hard to see a flagship model with anything less than 8 cylinders, but times have changed. We thought we would never see a performance oriented car (ISF) or an exotic (LFA), nor have we ever thought we'd see a 4cyl-anything in a car badged with a Lexus emblem. I wouldn't mind seeing the LS as a V8-only model, but can say this: I would not surprised if a V6 LS surfaced. Yes the LS is a big and heavy vehicle, which is why if they ever throw in a V6, I want to see at least 3.8L.
Old 03-21-11, 11:41 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
How efficient do you think a v6 van be when it has to work that much harder to move a 4500lb car? Case in point, how much more efficient is a 4cyl Highlander relative to its v6 counterpart? Or the 4cyl Sienna relative to its v6 counterpart? Regardless of how many gears, the engine only has so much power to give and it still have to move the same amount of mass. Anybody thinking a smaller engine in the LS will yield efficiency is kidding themselves.
I don't agree. You make a valid point that 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder variants of larger vehicles don't always translate to more MPGs. However, a V8 today is more than capable. A 6 is more than capable. You're not comparing a small engine in a big vehicle that will have to work hard and sacrafice efficieny to accelerate. The efficiency between an 8 and a 6 in a large vehicle will likely be more pronounced than a 4 and a 6. Take the CTS for example. 8 cylinders: 12/18. 6 cylinder (3.6L): 18/27. Or the Panamera. 8 cylinders:16/24. 6 cylinders: 18/27.
Old 03-21-11, 12:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Well the gap between the 2GR-FSE and the last non-vvti 1UZ was only 10 years so I say it's not too bad .

Henry, transmission is everything. It's between the engine and the wheels and it's the reason why you have torque at the wheel. The gears multiple the engine torque at the expense of RPM, but given enough gears, the driver may not even notice it. There is a reason why the LS430 is faster/quicker than the Q45 even though the LS engine was at a big disadvantage in both horsepower and torque. It simply had more torque at the wheel, where it actually matters, not the engine.

Well what if Toyota released a 3.8L V6 that is more powerful than the former 1uz-fe (vvti) in both hp and low end torque? Would you support that? Or because the cylinder count is not 8; it's discredited despite its performance?

I know a lot of this has to do with ego because it's hard to see a flagship model with anything less than 8 cylinders, but times have changed. We thought we would never see a performance oriented car (ISF) or an exotic (LFA), nor have we ever thought we'd see a 4cyl-anything in a car badged with a Lexus emblem. I wouldn't mind seeing the LS as a V8-only model, but can say this: I would not surprised if a V6 LS surfaced. Yes the LS is a big and heavy vehicle, which is why if they ever throw in a V6, I want to see at least 3.8L.
that's what i keep on say, it's not the number, it's performance. that's why i am not opposed to v6 hybrid or FI, something that will boost the performance to make things more reasonable on such a big heavy car. your "if" statement, we will see if it actually happens and how it performs overall. keep in mind, cars are just getting heavier and heavier and more and more power / tq are required to give it the kind of smoothness we need in such a big car. simply state, as fast as the gs350 it is now, it's not match to gs460 or gs450h in terms of smoothness and pick up speed. that's enough for me to make the decision on what i think should and should not go on a flahship sedan
Old 03-21-11, 01:20 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 362 Posts

V-6, some crazed car nut will drop in a 2JZ to have a screamer. BOV from an LS "460" hahaha...
Old 03-21-11, 04:22 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like what MB did offering a V6 hybrid S class. Their 6 cylinders are weak though. Lexus could do a much better job in the LS.
Old 03-21-11, 04:46 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

NVH. If the V6 has to rev higher to move a flagship vehicle where the predominant demographic buyer wants a quiet, smooth, easy-working powerplant, then its no good.
Old 03-21-11, 07:57 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that's what i keep on say, it's not the number, it's performance. that's why i am not opposed to v6 hybrid or FI, something that will boost the performance to make things more reasonable on such a big heavy car. your "if" statement, we will see if it actually happens and how it performs overall. keep in mind, cars are just getting heavier and heavier and more and more power / tq are required to give it the kind of smoothness we need in such a big car. simply state, as fast as the gs350 it is now, it's not match to gs460 or gs450h in terms of smoothness and pick up speed. that's enough for me to make the decision on what i think should and should not go on a flagship sedan
I agree on this one. In a larger luxury sedan, even coupe, you don't need a V8, but I'd like to see it with one. I don't think the LS needs or should have a V6 option unless that V6 is the hybrid option. This is a bit odd for me to have this point of view since I'm more a high revving high stung engine kind of guy. I don't need the whisper quiet cabin or isolated driving, but that is also why I didn't have my LS for long. In the end, performance is really all I care about so whatever works is good enough, but a top of the line flagship should not be about what works but what is overkill.
Old 03-21-11, 11:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
NVH. If the V6 has to rev higher to move a flagship vehicle where the predominant demographic buyer wants a quiet, smooth, easy-working powerplant, then its no good.
Compared to a V10, a V8 can be noisy and unrefined

Toyota is pretty good at isolating engine noise from the cabin so even if the LS had a Harley Davidson V-Twin under the hood, the driver probably wouldn't even hear it.