Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Arrives

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-11, 05:17 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Arrives

FINALLY... it's here...

2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Arrives-c63.jpg

http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...e-arrives.html

2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Arrives

Published Mar 20, 2011

Just the Facts:
•The latest addition to the German automaker's ever-expanding stable of AMG performance models arrives at U.S. dealers in September.
•The new C63 AMG Coupe shares much of its go-fast hardware with the 2012 C63 AMG Sedan.
•The standard C63 AMG Coupe makes 451 horsepower; the optional AMG Development package boosts that to 481 hp.

MONTVALE, New Jersey — Mercedes-Benz said its new 2012 C63 AMG Coupe will arrive at U.S. dealers in September.

The latest addition to the German automaker's ever-expanding stable of AMG performance models shares much of its go-fast hardware with the 2012 C63 AMG Sedan, which gets a face-lift and some tech upgrades when it debuts stateside this summer.

The basic engine in both C63 AMG models is the familiar AMG-tuned 6.2-liter V8, which delivers 451 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque. An optional performance package pushes output to 481 hp. With that package, top speed climbs from 155 mph to 174 mph, and 0-60 acceleration is trimmed from 4.4 to 4.3 seconds. Both cars also feature AMG's Speedshift MCT seven-speed gearbox.

The new C63 AMG Coupe has wider front and rear tracks, with stiffer spring and damper rates, a high-performance braking system with ventilated and perforated discs, and speed-sensitive sport steering. The car rides on new 18-inch AMG alloy wheels painted titanium gray with 235/40R18 front tires and 255/35R18 rears.

The exterior has been dressed up with new front and rear aprons, a new grille, clear-lens headlamps, side sills, a "powerdome" hood and a deck lid spoiler.

The cockpit of the C63 AMG Coupe is equally arresting, with a three-dial AMG gauge cluster, a flattened sport steering wheel with multifunction buttons and paddle shifters, sport seats offered in a choice of leather or a new breathable manmade fabric, and a choice of piano-black lacquer, aluminum, carbon fiber or wood accents and trim.

Inside Line says: The C63 AMG Coupe stands up well in the looks department alongside its larger two-door sibs. — Paul Lienert, Correspondent
Old 03-20-11, 07:48 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the looks and the numbers for this car but a coupe version falls into the same dilemma that the M3 coupe does. If only 2 doors are necessary there are better performance cars out there. A coupe is negating the utility that the E90 M3, 4 door C63 and IS F provide.

If a 2 door is an option, a Z06 or especially the GT R will badly outperform the entry level super sedans.
Old 03-20-11, 08:00 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Just like the standard coupe/sedan, I find the C63 to be much better looking and more aggressive in 4 door treatment.
Old 03-20-11, 08:11 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Just like the standard coupe/sedan, I find the C63 to be much better looking and more aggressive in 4 door treatment.
Hmm.......I also think the wagon version looks spot on as well
Old 03-20-11, 08:14 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Hmm.......I also think the wagon version looks spot on as well
Sadly, we don't get the Estate version over here.
Old 03-20-11, 08:55 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
And they're keeing the 6.2 litre for the sedan as well ... but I DO like the coupe, especially in the white/black combo featured
Old 03-20-11, 08:57 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I like the looks and the numbers for this car but a coupe version falls into the same dilemma that the M3 coupe does. If only 2 doors are necessary there are better performance cars out there. A coupe is negating the utility that the E90 M3, 4 door C63 and IS F provide.

If a 2 door is an option, a Z06 or especially the GT R will badly outperform the entry level super sedans.
Even though it finished 2nd, I'd take a Z06 ALL DAY over Godzilla, never really been a fan
Old 03-20-11, 09:02 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

Isn't the cost of a ZO6 or GTR a minimum of $20,000 more than the M3 or C63 coupe?
Old 03-20-11, 09:03 AM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

So if you buy the coupe AMG, you have to pay a bit more for the optional AMG package...
Old 03-20-11, 09:12 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleg400
So if you buy the coupe AMG, you have to pay a bit more for the optional AMG package...
For the performance package, yes.
Old 03-20-11, 10:08 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adam8065
Isn't the cost of a ZO6 or GTR a minimum of $20,000 more than the M3 or C63 coupe?
Not sure what the pricing is down there, but up here, the Z06 is $100K with Nav and the Carbon Fiber package. The GT R is $102K fully loaded for a 2011.

M3 coupe, depending on options, is somewhere in the neighbourhood of $88K without the Individual Collection. In light of current C63 sedan pricing, I'm guessing the coupe will be in the low $80K range. Imo, there is definitely $12-14K more bang for your buck in the Z06 or GT R than the M3. As you stretch it to $18-20K I guess you have to evaluate what you want out of the car.
Old 03-20-11, 10:48 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I remember within the past few years the E AMG Coupe being produced. It's good to see MB expand its AMG lineup, but I think the C and even the E AMG was better in a sedan form. The coupe doesn't really do it for me. But I know it'll sell for those who want the coupe instead of a four door. And the white with black roof looks really good!
Old 03-20-11, 10:51 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I think there can never be too many coupes.
Lexus seems to be the only higher end brand that doesn't understand many of us want coupes. Sorry, don't want to go off on that again.
I like the C coupe but have one negative comment about it. Benz is not producing an AMG E coupe. Instead they believe the C-AMG will fill that niche. DOn't agree with this tactic but what the heck, at least they have several coupe choices and that's good.
Old 03-20-11, 11:13 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ice350
Personally, I think there can never be too many coupes.
Lexus seems to be the only higher end brand that doesn't understand many of us want coupes. Sorry, don't want to go off on that again.
I like the C coupe but have one negative comment about it. Benz is not producing an AMG E coupe. Instead they believe the C-AMG will fill that niche. DOn't agree with this tactic but what the heck, at least they have several coupe choices and that's good.
I'm not sure why Benz would even consider an E63 coupe?

There is no coupe version of the M5, RS6 or Panamera which are the direct competitors in the mid-size, luxury performance sedan market.
Old 03-20-11, 01:06 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

OMG I want this car all over the place, so sexy

Originally Posted by Ice350
I feel like they didn't build an AMG E-coupe because the AMG C-coupe was coming and with the E-coupe being so close in size to the C-coupe anyway (it's based on the C is it not?) there would simply be too much overlap in the two

Quick Reply: 2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Arrives