Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one
BMW
20.00%
Mercedes Benz
80.00%
Tie, can't decide
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

BMW vs. Mercedes Benz (poll time!!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 12:14 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your input so far guys.
Old 03-22-11, 12:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Luxury= Mercedes
Sport= BMW

However, as of today, IMHO...

AMG> M
you mean overall? yes i would agree. but when it comes to sport, m > amg

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ well yes, but how many of us go to the track.? <cricket noise> Even if we do a little street racing on the side, its usually straight line and for that AMG ftw. lol

I would have to say MB overall. I have no desire to own a bmw (never have, dont think I ever will as long as Mercedes and Lexus are here). I dislike their interior design, their exterior design theme (though this is getting better), and the way they nickel and dime you.

I think MB wins on design, luxury, prestige, and overall class.
hahaha, you need to do more street racing j/k. even on the street, the m can take down amg just fine. but yes, on straight away, amg roars
Old 03-22-11, 12:24 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Infra
But if you want to talk about building a car that is useful for going in more than 1 direction, there is no competition between AMG and M.

In fact, you can't truly compare the two because their goals are so different.
That argument is only really valid regarding the M3 vs. C63 (and maybe now the 1M), and the C63 is no slouch. Yes the M3 is slightly faster on a track but not enough to turn it into anything but a drivers race.

BMW doesn't make another true "track car" that really matters.

And btw, the SLS handles "ok" for an AMG....where's BMW's answer to it???
Old 03-22-11, 12:27 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
hahaha, you need to do more street racing j/k. even on the street, the m can take down amg just fine. but yes, on straight away, amg roars
Surely you jest.

Your tubby M vert will stare at nothing but tailights with a C63.

Will surely be close with the M3/M5/X5M against the comparable AMG's....but again, BMW has no answer to the CL65/SL65/S65/SLS, etc.
Old 03-22-11, 12:31 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Before i would say mercedes without hesitation, but now i'm havign a harder and harder time saying that. BMW has definitely stepped it up recently
Old 03-22-11, 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Surely you jest.

Will surely be close with the M3/M5/X5M against the comparable AMG's....but again, BMW has no answer to the CL65/SL65/S65/SLS, etc.
hahaha i thought my e93 is nothing but just a badge

i actually the the c63 is among the best amg when it comes to handling already. i have done the e63 and m5, m5 is more balanced. i have done the sl63 and m6, closer match but m6 seems easier to drive.
Old 03-22-11, 12:59 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Surely you jest.

Your argument is that MB makes more expensive cars, therefore AMG is better?

Because that's all you are saying here. The simple fact that BMW doesn't compete in those segments doesn't negate the segments they DO compete in - and in those segments, M often takes the lead.
Old 03-22-11, 01:37 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth.. I have to share some recent experience here... was in Atlanta and...

Got to drive a 2010 C63 AMG, 2010 M3, 2005 E55 AMG, and an 2009 S500 running I-985 north towards Gainesville and some "spirited" driving on back country roads. The E55 and M3 were personal cars of one of my best friends since middle school who's a well-to-do attorney. He goes thru cars like water (owned a Panamera turbo for THREE days) and is a fanatic (but unlike me, he can support his habit ). I LOVED the C63 the best for balance on the straights, the M3 through the turns, the E55 combined for both and the S for sheer cruising enjoyment and luxury.

Despite all the cars out there, my friend cannot bring himself to part with the E55 but he's leaning towards the new E63, just hasn't had the time to drive extensively. If he gets rid of the E55, he will get an E63 AMG. He would take the C63 over the M3 if he had to choose. He's NOT an S class guy even AMG... too big. He thought the C63 was a tad small but way more tossable than his E55 and loved the sound and acceleration over his M3. It is a convertible M3 and despite a few rattles he loves it.

Until he gets the E63 or I can drive one, for ME (if I were to EVER actually get off my *** and buy something), the choice of these cars would be the C63... and cannot wait (as mentioned in another thread) to drive the C63 coupe. From MB and BMW perspective, I've now driven the CLS AMG, S AMG, E55 AMG, and C63 AMG, M3, older M5, and M6 (plus other models, some owned, of each brand). I just like the added luxury, combined with AMG's direction and power, of Mercedes over BMW.

Take my input with a grain of salt based on my history on CL. As my personal soap opera continues, to refresh, re-grouped from Cayenne turbo or X5M to get the Wolf as a DD to go with an AM V8V (or a multitude of set-ups- Shelby, Z06, S5, etc.) as it's always been about getting 2 cars in combo. Then our project went on perpetual hold. If I ever reach my perfect world, BASED ON MB VS BMW, I would go heavily towards the 2012 C63AMG coupe for me, new SLK for the Missus, with a third SUV/Minivan for kids, commuting, etc. Again, take it with a grain of salt... that's where I am today, and I know I'll get bashed when I change again

Mercedes and AMG... that's my $.02...

Last edited by rdgdawg; 03-24-11 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-22-11, 01:37 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

BMW doesn't make another true "track car" that really matters.

And btw, the SLS handles "ok" for an AMG....where's BMW's answer to it???
BMW can't be bothered right now. They're too busy making FWD subcompacts, and electric cars named after apple products.
Old 03-22-11, 02:23 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i actually the the c63 is among the best amg when it comes to handling already. i have done the e63 and m5, m5 is more balanced. i have done the sl63 and m6, closer match but m6 seems easier to drive.
I agree with the m5 being the much better handler than the e63, but have you tried the newest e63? apparently they got rid of the airmatic suspension, making it a much better contender car. However, the 95% of the time you arent on the track, I still think the e63 feels more comfortable.

The second part of your comment makes no sense to me. The m6 should be compared to the CL63/65. They are both large 4 seater coupes used for touring. The SL63 is only a 2 seater roadster. I do not think bmw has anything to compare with the SL, their Z models are more in line with the SLK of mercedes
Old 03-22-11, 02:57 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The only Mercedes I'd have over a BMW is the S Class.
Old 03-22-11, 03:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I agree with the m5 being the much better handler than the e63, but have you tried the newest e63? apparently they got rid of the airmatic suspension, making it a much better contender car. However, the 95% of the time you arent on the track, I still think the e63 feels more comfortable.

The second part of your comment makes no sense to me. The m6 should be compared to the CL63/65. They are both large 4 seater coupes used for touring. The SL63 is only a 2 seater roadster. I do not think bmw has anything to compare with the SL, their Z models are more in line with the SLK of mercedes
i have driven both the new and old e63 already. the new e63 is much better than the old one handling wise, still i think the m5 is more balanced. but i absolutely agree the e63 feels more luxurious and comfortable, especially compared to the e60 m5. e60 m5 is quite harsh you can say. but if you ask me, just wit for the f10 m5, i think it's going to kick some serious butt

my 2nd comparison, i am pretty sure the cl is quit a bit larger and longer than the 6 series. technically i don't think there is anything in the mb lineup that really goes against the 6 series. to me the sl is a closer match already (except the 2 rear seats). the cl, quite long
Old 03-22-11, 04:24 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

My parents asked me this before I bought my Lexus. They've old school, so they want to drive cars with a prestigious name to them, not to say that Lexus doesn't have a great name to it. I'd have to go with MB as well. The luxury inside is more important to me than the sport feel of BMW. As for the M and AMG debate, I'm calling this a stalemate. Both are such great divisions for their brands and truly take street driving to a whole new level.

3 series v. C class = 3 series
5 series v. E class = E class
7 series v. S class = S class
Old 03-22-11, 04:45 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My answer would be different from model to model, here is my breakdown:

S-class vs. 7-series: S-class
E-class vs. 5-series: E-class
C-class vs. 3-series: 3-series
GL-class vs. X6: X6
ML-class vs. X5: X5
GLK-class vs. X3: X3
SL-class vs. 6-series: SL-class
SLK-class vs. Z4: Z4
Old 03-22-11, 05:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
My parents asked me this before I bought my Lexus. They've old school, so they want to drive cars with a prestigious name to them, not to say that Lexus doesn't have a great name to it. I'd have to go with MB as well. The luxury inside is more important to me than the sport feel of BMW. As for the M and AMG debate, I'm calling this a stalemate. Both are such great divisions for their brands and truly take street driving to a whole new level.

3 series v. C class = 3 series
5 series v. E class = E class
7 series v. S class = S class
Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
My answer would be different from model to model, here is my breakdown:

S-class vs. 7-series: S-class
E-class vs. 5-series: E-class
C-class vs. 3-series: 3-series
GL-class vs. X6: X6
ML-class vs. X5: X5
GLK-class vs. X3: X3
SL-class vs. 6-series: SL-class
SLK-class vs. Z4: Z4
question to both of you just out of curiosity. when you compare e with 5, are you comparing the w212 with f10?

Quick Reply: BMW vs. Mercedes Benz (poll time!!)