Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one
BMW
20.00%
Mercedes Benz
80.00%
Tie, can't decide
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

BMW vs. Mercedes Benz (poll time!!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 06:00 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! the 7 series just gets no love.
Old 03-22-11, 06:38 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Infra
Your argument is that MB makes more expensive cars, therefore AMG is better?

Because that's all you are saying here. The simple fact that BMW doesn't compete in those segments doesn't negate the segments they DO compete in - and in those segments, M often takes the lead.
Where did you get that???

I pointed out in a previous post that the higher price point of several of the MB models helps it hold a higher level of prestige, but nowhere did I say that because MB has more expensive models they are better.

BMW is a company that makes cars that target the entry level and mid level luxury car buyer. They have nothing and have never had anything that competes in the ultra-lux or supercar arena.

Your notion that the M cars "lead" is amusing. What do they "lead" in??? For every category that they "lead", you could argue that they also "trail" in another. There are no perfect cars and it inevitably comes down to what a specific buyer prefers.

Being faster around a track means absolutely diddly to those that have never been to or have no intention of going to one....which is the vast majority of car buyers.

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
My answer would be different from model to model, here is my breakdown:

S-class vs. 7-series: S-class
E-class vs. 5-series: E-class
C-class vs. 3-series: 3-series
GL-class vs. X6: X6
ML-class vs. X5: X5
GLK-class vs. X3: X3
SL-class vs. 6-series: SL-class
SLK-class vs. Z4: Z4
Just curious how you could possibly compare the GL to the X6?

The GL has the most useable third row in the class, is offered in 3 variants including diesel and has decent utility....the X6 has none of those. I can't think of two SUV's that are further apart in purpose.
Old 03-22-11, 08:08 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

No love for the C class either! What about after this facelift?

Old 03-22-11, 09:05 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STi pwns both AMG and M.
Old 03-22-11, 09:19 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I have loved Mercedes-Benz since I could first walk and talk, and my doting grandfather owned a black Mercedes. I have a picture somewhere of me "driving" my grandfather's Mercedes, standing on the driver's seat and leaning against that big steering wheel with the big chrome 3-pointed star in the centre and the semi-circular metal horn ring around it.

A Mercedes-Benz comes with prestige that no other car comes with (the possible exception may be a Rolls-Royce). The prestige comes from heritage and a history of being the oldest car company in the world. What other automobile manufacturer can trace their history back to Karl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler, the inventors of the internal combustion automobile?

There is also a history of innovation: the Diesel engine, safety cage, crumple zones, airbags, ABS, ESP (stability control), pre-collision... Mercedes was known for safety before Volvo.
Old 03-23-11, 10:46 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
A Mercedes-Benz comes with prestige that no other car comes with (the possible exception may be a Rolls-Royce). The prestige comes from heritage and a history of being the oldest car company in the world. What other automobile manufacturer can trace their history back to Karl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler, the inventors of the internal combustion automobile?
Hmm, hard to find anything prestigious about models like the R350 or the previous gen C230.

Originally Posted by rominl
question to both of you just out of curiosity. when you compare e with 5, are you comparing the w212 with f10?
I definitely prefer the F10 5 series over the W212 E.
Old 03-23-11, 12:12 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL yea the hatcback C class was such a horrible car. I am glad that only after 3 years mercedes canceled the production of that car
Old 03-23-11, 12:38 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I have loved Mercedes-Benz since I could first walk and talk, and my doting grandfather owned a black Mercedes. I have a picture somewhere of me "driving" my grandfather's Mercedes, standing on the driver's seat and leaning against that big steering wheel with the big chrome 3-pointed star in the centre and the semi-circular metal horn ring around it.

There is also a history of innovation: the Diesel engine, safety cage, crumple zones, airbags, ABS, ESP (stability control), pre-collision... Mercedes was known for safety before Volvo.
I can see where you coming from but the benz "prestige" only come with S-class and E-class. All other series are just great cars. BMW on the other hand really dont have the prestige of the S and E classes but that damn M3 can take on just about anything in the Mercedes arsenal imo.
Old 03-23-11, 12:48 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
No love for the C class either! What about after this facelift?
I do agree to that. Post-facelift, I'd have the C over the 3.
Old 03-23-11, 01:22 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Some people prefer the Luxury/refinement/pure power of the AMG models, others cannot do without a 3rd pedal, and more raw feel/driving dynamics of a //M car. Both AMG/M badge BMWs make a lot of power and cost a decent amount of money, but they are still pretty big differences IMO. On a Lexus forum, it is not surprising to more people prefer the luxury of AMG/MBZ.

I know a few buyers who prefer the M3 due to the fact they enjoy driving stick more.
Old 03-23-11, 02:51 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
And being a Lexus forum, there is no bais between the two.
Of course there is you didn't give us the third choice of Lexus. Haha

Simply, MB by the perceptions when I think of E/5 and S/7 levels. The 5 series I had long ago, that just flipped the light switch off. Some BMW drive time would be nice for me, I wouldn't turn away some MB drive time either.
Old 03-23-11, 06:16 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
question to both of you just out of curiosity. when you compare e with 5, are you comparing the w212 with f10?
I based my choices from the generations before up till the most recent models. I've always liked the E class and preferred it to the 5 series. I've seen the new 5 series, and it still doesn't do anything for me. My aunt leases E classes every few years, and sitting in them- they just feel right to me as a passenger., with the W211 being my favorite currently. I've been in 5 series (e39-361), and though they feel fast, as a passenger, each time it felt mundane. I am young, and I'm looking from a perspective of both luxury and a sporty feel, and MB in my opinion does a better job.
Old 03-23-11, 11:50 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My favorite Suv in the world that actually retains it's value is the G55. The car is a tank on wheels and extremely fast too.
Old 03-24-11, 01:46 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

For me:
MB AMG > BMW M

However, you can't discount BMW products in its entirety though. The BMW 320d sells like pancakes in my country.......and holy crap, the M6 is one beautiful yet bad-*** BMW. It makes me wonder if the next-gen model can top it.

Anyways, just my thoughts
Old 03-24-11, 06:39 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Hmm, hard to find anything prestigious about models like the R350 or the previous gen C230.

I definitely prefer the F10 5 series over the W212 E.
Let's not forget about the competition!

Quick Reply: BMW vs. Mercedes Benz (poll time!!)