Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one
BMW
20.00%
Mercedes Benz
80.00%
Tie, can't decide
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

BMW vs. Mercedes Benz (poll time!!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 11:03 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS-SV
That's why some of us are looking to actual CL owners giving feedback on specific brands/model years/models as you (and and I and others) have done in past.

Technically nothing was wrong with his generalized comment, but given the resources here (diversity of premium car owners) some of us seek more depth.
I know S.
Old 03-26-11, 11:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I know S.
Btw, C. am I hearing crickets related to OC335d's original question?...
Old 03-26-11, 11:28 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Btw, C. am I hearing crickets related to OC335d's original question?...
Now you're confusing me S.

If the original question was:
So when's the last time you have owned either?"
I've currently got both.

If you're referring to his questioning:
MBs are better built than BMW. BMWs are not as reliable and is better to lease them and not own them. MB have better resale value.
I agree with the statement. Our ML had several annoying issues early on in our ownership, but since those, it has been quite solid. I also spent 3 days in an S550 last fall and previously looked hard at purchasing a W212 E-class or 535xi. I do feel the MB's feel more "solid" while they do lack the sportiness of the BMW's. And, again, in my experience BMW has never been reliable for us (325is, 3 X5's and an X6).
Old 03-26-11, 11:29 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I wasn't debating MB's history or heritage...as an E63 owner, it's pretty obvious I hold MB in high esteem.

No doubt many MB models such as the S, CL and SL exude prestige. But I stand by my original comment. Although there are certainly feelings I would be experiencing driving a hatchback C230 (none of them good), thoughts of MB prestige would not be one. Feel free to disagree.

I have no experience with the Sportcoupe so I can't really talk about it.

From what I hear, they were relatively solid cars but simply dull and not very comfortable or sporty and the 4-cylinder engines weren't that refined. These are characteristics you don't associate with Mercedes', I know. I also know that they were poorly marketed in the US and buyers were confused as to its place in the North American Mercedes-Benz lineup. Was it a car for a younger audience? Was it a sports car? Or was it a luxury Mercedes' coupe? I myself am not sure what the purpose of this car was.

I think the Sportcoupe was developed with a younger audience in mind. At the time Mercedes' needed a car to lure in new buyers and above all, a younger market and the C class was the best place to start. I agree that the final product was far from perfect, but at the same time I think the car generally succeeded in attracting new buyers and getting them to perhaps step up to a C class or even an E class (or other MB products) for their next purchase.

Still, it is definitely one of those cars from a brand that is best forgotten.
Old 03-26-11, 04:22 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

There's something magical about driving a Mercedes that I have yet to experience in a BMW. It just feel's special. The BMW are to stiff for Chicago road's they don't respond well to potholes. But my ML with 275 tires just drives over potholes effortlessly. The only BMW I would consider is the 335D power and MPG.

Past Benz's Owned : 89 300E, 95 C280, 98 ML320, 02 ML320, 06 ML350.
Current Mercedes : 06 ML500, 04 CLK500, 03 Spritner 3500, 72 280SE 4.5
Old 03-27-11, 08:37 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^Someone likes their ml's haha. When i was looking for a car, i was looking for a 98-03 ml, i only wanted one with a v8, and they were really nice, just disappointed with the reliability of them. I test drove about 6 of them, and all but one had its fair share of problems. The interiors also just didnt have that luxurious of a feeling, not what i expected from driving e-class' of the same years
Old 03-27-11, 10:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

98-03 model years was some time ago and all Benzes except G-class fortunately have been redesigned thoroughly since.
Old 03-27-11, 08:27 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I have no experience with the Sportcoupe so I can't really talk about it.

From what I hear, they were relatively solid cars but simply dull and not very comfortable or sporty and the 4-cylinder engines weren't that refined. These are characteristics you don't associate with Mercedes', I know. I also know that they were poorly marketed in the US and buyers were confused as to its place in the North American Mercedes-Benz lineup. Was it a car for a younger audience? Was it a sports car? Or was it a luxury Mercedes' coupe? I myself am not sure what the purpose of this car was.

I think the Sportcoupe was developed with a younger audience in mind. At the time Mercedes' needed a car to lure in new buyers and above all, a younger market and the C class was the best place to start. I agree that the final product was far from perfect, but at the same time I think the car generally succeeded in attracting new buyers and getting them to perhaps step up to a C class or even an E class (or other MB products) for their next purchase.

Still, it is definitely one of those cars from a brand that is best forgotten.
Great analysis. As a child, my parents owned a W126 and a W140 S-Class. The MB I remember from that era was a car manufacturer that spared no expense in producing their cars. A definite change from the MB that produced cars during the DaimlerChrysler era.
Old 03-27-11, 09:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Depends on which MB and which BMW.

IMO, BMW can't build a proper flagship luxury sedan (the 7 series totally sucked until recent, and still isn't as good as S class). At the same time MB can't build an entry luxury car (C class has sucked until recent, and still isn't quite as good as the 3 series).

BMW was always better at mid luxury, the 5 was always superior to the ugly, boring E class, even the ugly bangled 5 was still better than the E.

Also, BMW has never built total horrendous disasters such as the ML and R class, but it doesn't have have cars that are as halo as MB's 65AMG series.

Today BMW has more models that appeal to me than MB.
Old 03-28-11, 12:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Now you're confusing me S.

If the original question was: I've currently got both.
Sorry about the confusion.

OC335d's original question was directed to Suislide (only), and the crickets are still chirping away....
Old 03-28-11, 10:38 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Depends on which MB and which BMW.

Also, BMW has never built total horrendous disasters such as the ML and R class, but it doesn't have have cars that are as halo as MB's 65AMG series.

BMW 5 Series GT is pretty horrendous on the eyes...
Old 03-29-11, 09:26 PM
redmanV8
Driver School Candidate

bmw's seem too plain on the outside, and benz interior is so much better
Old 03-29-11, 11:03 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this could be one of the greatest debates of all time lol. So far I see that the general consensus is:

S class > 7 Series
3 series > C class

but it is pretty even when comparing the E class to the 5 series.

I think BMW has nailed the SUV portion. Even though I would choose MB over BMW anyday, an AMG SUV makes no sense. An suv should not be superchanged, it'll flip. Im glad BMW's M division hasnt touched their SUV yet
Old 03-29-11, 11:07 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by edgeucated
this could be one of the greatest debates of all time lol. So far I see that the general consensus is:

S class > 7 Series
3 series > C class

but it is pretty even when comparing the E class to the 5 series.

I think BMW has nailed the SUV portion. Even though I would choose MB over BMW anyday, an AMG SUV makes no sense. An suv should not be superchanged, it'll flip. Im glad BMW's M division hasnt touched their SUV yet
LOL have you been living in a cave? There is X5M and the X6M
Old 04-01-11, 10:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

BMW vs. Mercedes Benz (poll time!!)-3lllx.jpg

BMW vs. Mercedes Benz (poll time!!)-n7fgg.jpg

Quick Reply: BMW vs. Mercedes Benz (poll time!!)