Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

F10 528 Mini-Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 07:46 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F10 528 Mini-Review

First off, these are just some basic impressions, I have no intention of trying to live up to both Mike's very high standards for automotive reviews.

I spent four days last week with a brand new (only 600 km) F10 528, while my X5 was in the shop for the third time in three weeks.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much, as I expected it to be a base 528. I was very pleasantly surprised with many of the improvements of this car. I came very close to buying an E60 535xi just before I settled on our X5.

The F10 seemed much more luxurious and modern than the previous generation. The gauge cluster was the first thing that really jumped out. They actually have different colors and it isn't highlighted by the terrible orange glow and pixelated numbers on older BMW's. It had the "Efficient Dynamics" meter as well, that I couldn't quite figure out....lol. You can also see in the pic, that it appears that lane departure assist is an available option. The current gen Idrive is very good....much better than what I have in my '08 F.

There is ample space in the rear and the material quality is decent throughout the vehicle. It was noticeably quieter and rode very smoothly than the SUV's I'm used to piloting.

The handling/feedback was typical BMW and very good. What I was surprised with was how quick the car was. I really expected very little from such a large car with a small motor. I've had 328's before and think that they are absolutely terrible and pseudo luxury. The 528 is much nicer inside and performs enough for most drivers I'm sure. Sometimes we forget that the vast majority of drivers aren't interested in the "performance" aspect of their vehicle purchases.

While I was pleasantly surprised with this car, I certainly wasn't in love with it. The exterior styling is very bland. I realize the M-sport package adds alot and this car looks very different than a 550 or the upcoming M5 which are more aggressive.

The gas mileage was also disappointing considering the small engine. I only saw about 24 mpg on the highway, which is tough to swallow when I'm getting 5-6 mpg in my much heavier, less aerodyamic, diesel SUV's.

One thing that still drives me up the wall, is why can't BMW figure out how to make a freakin' functional cupholder.

The ones in this car are ridiculously bad, almost to the point of being non-functional.

Overall, I can understand why the new 5 series has been selling as well as it has been. It is a very good car that offers a nice balance of performance and luxury.
Attached Thumbnails F10 528 Mini-Review-528-1.jpg   F10 528 Mini-Review-528-3.jpg   F10 528 Mini-Review-528-2.jpg   F10 528 Mini-Review-528-4.jpg  
Old 03-24-11, 08:52 PM
tardorange
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. F10 535i is on the way hopefully a few more weeks . How did it handle? I personally think the new F10 handles a bit more like a boat compared to the previous gen. (E60)
Old 03-24-11, 09:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, nice concise review with considerable miles driven too. I've been curious about the new 5 but haven't taken the time to drive one yet. They are very popular here.
Old 03-24-11, 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahhaa so what's wrong with the cup holder? never tried it in the f10, but i will say the one in my m3 isn't anything impressive

i really like the f10 a lot. i can't wait to see the new m5
Old 03-24-11, 09:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I really do like the new 5, but I'm still in shock at the 400lb increase over it's predecessor. no bueno
Old 03-24-11, 10:14 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tardorange
Nice. F10 535i is on the way hopefully a few more weeks . How did it handle? I personally think the new F10 handles a bit more like a boat compared to the previous gen. (E60)
Like a BMW.

j/k. It was pretty good. I've only driven the 535ix so the comparison is a little different with the E60 being more powerful and all wheel drive. Also keep in mind that I went from an SUV to a sedan so the handling felt pretty sharp...lol. Not as engaging as my F, but fully capable for a car in this class and still more connected than the W212 E.

Originally Posted by rominl
hahhaa so what's wrong with the cup holder? never tried it in the f10, but i will say the one in my m3 isn't anything impressive

i really like the f10 a lot. i can't wait to see the new m5
Ummm....it hardly holds cups.

They're those hideaway ones that you can see in front of the shifter. Stupidly, they sort of pop up and/or are spring loaded. We stopped into Starbucks and struggled to get the cups to fit and stay in their slots. Without enough weight in the cups they kept popping out of place. Absolutely ridiculous!

This is also why I prefer the third stalk set-up in our ML. It keeps the console area cleaner and doesn't impede any hand movements in the area.
Old 03-25-11, 09:48 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Henry, that is the understatement of the year I'm afraid to put a cup of coffee in there while driving. First time I did that, spills everywhere!

Thanks for the review OP. I really like the F10 5 series. I strongly considered the 550 before eventually choosing the M3.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 03-25-11 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-25-11, 10:23 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Henry, that is the understatement of the year I'm afraid to put a cup of coffee in there while driving. First time I did that, spills everywhere!.
I dont think they drink coffee over there in Europe. At least I think cup holders are after thought.

I have the same issue with my M3. I spilled my coffee everywhere one time I used it. It spilled over to the HAVC controls and radio controls. Some of those buttons are really sticky now.
Old 03-25-11, 10:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I have no intention of trying to live up to both Mike's very high standards for automotive reviews.
Well, you're off to a good start. And your own standards don't seem exactly low.

You can also see in the pic, that it appears that lane departure assist is an available option.
As I see it, just one more Nanny safety-device for those who don't (or don't know how to) keep their attention on the road and their driving.

The current gen I-Drive is very good....much better than what I have in my '08 F.
The older I-Drive systems certainly didn't help keep one's eyes on the road either. I haven't tried one of th latest 2011's.....you feel they are that much better?

Sometimes we forget that the vast majority of drivers aren't interested in the "performance" aspect of their vehicle purchases.
Totally agree. The sportiness/handling/braking/acceleration craze in the auto press and so-called "enthusiast" world is far more widespread than with most buyers. But, because of the enormous influence that the auto press has on manufacturers, sport-orientation seems to be the way more and more vehicles are designed nowadays.

The gas mileage was also disappointing considering the small engine. I only saw about 24 mpg on the highway, which is tough to swallow when I'm getting 5-6 mpg in my much heavier, less aerodyamic, diesel SUV's.
Well, to an extent, that's one of the basic differences between a conventional gas-engine and a diesel powerplant. And both Mercedes and BMW use the Bluetec diesels, which, along with VW's common-rail TDI, rank among the best, most advanced diesels on the planet.

One thing that still drives me up the wall, is why can't BMW figure out how to make a freakin' functional cupholder.
Because many, if not most, Germans don't fool around with that kind of distraction while they are trying to drive. They keep their eyes on the road.

Some people (and maybe you are one of them) can drink coffee, juices, etc.... safely and use cupholders while driving. But too many people can't.
Old 03-25-11, 11:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Like a BMW.

j/k. It was pretty good. I've only driven the 535ix so the comparison is a little different with the E60 being more powerful and all wheel drive. Also keep in mind that I went from an SUV to a sedan so the handling felt pretty sharp...lol. Not as engaging as my F, but fully capable for a car in this class and still more connected than the W212 E.

Ummm....it hardly holds cups.

They're those hideaway ones that you can see in front of the shifter. Stupidly, they sort of pop up and/or are spring loaded. We stopped into Starbucks and struggled to get the cups to fit and stay in their slots. Without enough weight in the cups they kept popping out of place. Absolutely ridiculous!

This is also why I prefer the third stalk set-up in our ML. It keeps the console area cleaner and doesn't impede any hand movements in the area.
hahahahhaa, that's just too funny. i don't drink often so it doesn't bother me as much, but for sure the cup holders are retarded in most bmw

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Henry, that is the understatement of the year I'm afraid to put a cup of coffee in there while driving. First time I did that, spills everywhere!

Thanks for the review OP. I really like the F10 5 series. I strongly considered the 550 before eventually choosing the M3.
hahhaa see, i don't drink coffee at all. that's a much better habit

but one time i went to mcdonalds, and the whole way driving home (thank god it's only 2 mins), i had one hand holding on to the drink. amazing

for m3, on mine there is actually another cup holder in the arm rest (ac cooled too!), but i think they took that out for later yrs. don't ask me why

if you guys think the 3 and the new 5 is bad, the 6 series would shock you you actually had to get the cup holder piece from behind (somewhere else) and stick it on the side of the center console. wow, talk about afterthought

Originally Posted by STIG
I dont think they drink coffee over there in Europe. At least I think cup holders are after thought.

I have the same issue with my M3. I spilled my coffee everywhere one time I used it. It spilled over to the HAVC controls and radio controls. Some of those buttons are really sticky now.
ouch, that hurts man maybe you can come down and swap stuff with me before i return my car, haha
Old 03-25-11, 11:05 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The older I-Drive systems certainly didn't help keep one's eyes on the road either. I haven't tried one of th latest 2011's.....you feel they are that much better?
No comparison, the current gen I-Drive system is significantly improved over the previous gen. I really like the addition of the shortcut buttons. Overall, much more user friendly.

Old 03-27-11, 10:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Judging by the picture of the meters, I'm guessing the EfficientDynamics part is just the car using regenerative braking to recharge the 12V battery. Just a guess based on the pictogram.
Old 03-27-11, 10:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Judging by the picture of the meters, I'm guessing the EfficientDynamics part is just the car using regenerative braking to recharge the 12V battery. Just a guess based on the pictogram.
i'd guess that pic is showing radar-based cruise, showing whether the car is getting too close to what's in front, or maybe behind for parking...
Old 03-27-11, 10:52 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'd guess that pic is showing radar-based cruise, showing whether the car is getting too close to what's in front, or maybe behind for parking...
I'd have to look it up, but I believe the images above and between the dials are lane departure technology.

I also believe that Next is correct in how BMW's Efficient Dynamics works.

Edit: It is "Lane Departure" and "Active Blind Spot Detection" and the brakes do charge the battery with "Efficient Dynamics"
Old 03-27-11, 11:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Efficient Dynamic is banner for different technologies that ... make car more efficient :-).
One of those is alternator being disconnected when not needed, and then connected again during braking. It isnt brake energy recovery like in hybrids (and thats also not needed for 12v battery of course).

Quick Reply: F10 528 Mini-Review