Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese repair quake-ravaged road in just six days

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 01:33 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes, but like all culture's there many sides to it, good and bad.

i mean no disrespect whatsoever by what i'm about to say...

as you know, saving face and honor is very important there. but that can often cause the truth to be downplayed or outright hidden. tepco, the power company that owns those massively damaged nuclear reactors, has lied consistently about the state of things, and even the japanese govt has downplayed the dangers and does NOT have a large enough evacuation circle. they also refused help initially from the u.s. on this.

this is becoming a MAJOR MAJOR problem and radiation from there is now being detected all over the world and they still don't have a handle on things.

anyway, it's a tragic and scary situation and i hope it gets under control soon, although the repercussions will probably go on for years.
Completely agree. But i also see where they are coming from in the saving face mentality. It is certainly important in my own culture as well.
Old 03-28-11, 01:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes, but like all culture's there many sides to it, good and bad.

i mean no disrespect whatsoever by what i'm about to say...

as you know, saving face and honor is very important there. but that can often cause the truth to be downplayed or outright hidden. tepco, the power company that owns those massively damaged nuclear reactors, has lied consistently about the state of things, and even the japanese govt has downplayed the dangers and does NOT have a large enough evacuation circle. they also refused help initially from the u.s. on this.

this is becoming a MAJOR MAJOR problem and radiation from there is now being detected all over the world and they still don't have a handle on things.

anyway, it's a tragic and scary situation and i hope it gets under control soon, although the repercussions will probably go on for years.
uhm, gulf oil spill anyone? that probably had considerably bigger impact to worldwide eco system than this, and US govt let private company to handle it and reporters were not even allowed to come close to polluted areas, without explicit permissions.
Old 03-29-11, 09:58 PM
svlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Japanese are like bees. Personally I am not beelike and I dont want to be. Im more nomadic/do things on my own my way.
Old 03-30-11, 07:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

just goes to show how fast you can do stuff without all the BS govt red tape to get in the way.

Here who knows you have to hire some union workers, etc.
Old 03-30-11, 08:07 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Japan still puts many countries to shame. They can rebuild a road and god knows how much Quebec / Montreal spends each year trying to fix potholes... le sigh

Last edited by JessePS; 03-30-11 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-30-11, 09:56 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

just amazing! what a quick fix
Old 03-30-11, 03:02 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have huge respect for the Japanese people, they are proud and very hard working.