Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumormill: 2012 BMW M5 to get manual tranny in U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 01:30 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Most of the 550s I see are 6MT. What does that say? The true BMW enthusiast wants a stick and a V8 apparently. The autos and the I6s are for those who merely want a BMW.
That is pretty vague, not that I don't believe it but I saw one E60 M5 in stick parked at the Infiniti dealer and was kinda shocked cause I have a habit of looking in the window of BMW M cars to see what they got and

Maybe it's the area your in but the NY area Im from is all SMG, did not even know a 550 was available in stick, but I guess those who have them have the money cause thy are not cheap cars and are probably twice as hard to sell
Old 03-26-11, 03:03 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

In recent years BMW has sold far more cars with automatic transmissions than manuals. Annual sales and overview reports in car magazines like Auto Motor und Sport confirm this. In fact, the sales of cars with automatic transmissions in Europe has risen drastically in the last decade. I hate to use the "I see..." analogy, but I do see many BMW 1 or 3 series' cars with automatic transmissions parked all over the city. In a way, this is a reflection of the changing times we live in.

Most people, myself included, just want a comfortable car and don't want the "hassle" of having to change gears manually. Automatics have also gotten more affordable for the masses in Europe (in the past many people bought a car with the standard transmission because they didn't want to pay extra for the expensive automatic transmission option or such a transmission simply wasn't available on a non-luxury car).

Another factor is resale value. Most cars will be easier to sell later on if they've got an automatic transmission. This has been documented time and time again in local magazines as well as television reports on second hand car sales (in Europe). A colleague of mine has been trying to sell his first-generation Mercedes SLK320 M/T for quite some time now. According to him most people would go for the car - if it had an automatic transmission. Alas, it being a manual, it's really a case for someone who likes "driving".

I know I won't have a problem selling my cars later on since they're both equipped with automatic transmissions!
Old 03-26-11, 03:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've said this before, and I said it again.

The only reason manual transmission is still being offered in a number of cars, is so that they can make it standard, and make auto an option that costs $500-2000, depending on make and model.

This is why manual needs to just die.
Old 03-26-11, 04:18 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Everyone who wants an M5 in stick has no intentions of ever buying the car
Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Your the exception then, no debate, long as you can order and get it, but the 2 dealers I know of, it took them forever to get rid of manual E60 M5, Im not even referring to performance
This.

The only reason the E60 M5 was offered in a manual was some loud bishing and moaning from a handful of "enthusiasts". The sales of the manual were a joke and shouldn't have even been offered.

If I end up choosing this to replace my F, it will certainly be DCT.
Old 03-26-11, 04:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

gt2 and gt3 owners (and manufacturer) obviously disagree and the e90/92/93 were both designed with 6mt in mind.
Old 03-26-11, 04:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Och
I've said this before, and I said it again.

The only reason manual transmission is still being offered in a number of cars, is so that they can make it standard, and make auto an option that costs $500-2000, depending on make and model.

This is why manual needs to just die.
you missed the part where i said i love mt coz' it's more involved in driving? actually most mt owners i know say the same. we all agree dct and such are way faster (i doubt anyone can deny that at all), but some people they rather be more connected to the car.

you guys should go have a fun debate with lfa fans who dispute gtr and 458 because those 2 are much more "computerized"
Old 03-26-11, 05:17 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Manual transmissions are stupid, I hope they go away ASAP.
LOL I like the way you say it. Although I feel like manual transissions has a raison d'etre because it feels more "mechanical" to me, not so much electronics stuff involved. I guess it depends on what kind of car we are talking about. If it is a pure sports car like Honda S2000 or Nissan 370Z, manual should be standard and auto tranny be an option. But for a luxury fast cruiser like BMW M5, I say the auto should be the only transimission. Most "enthusiasts" still have family, their family members might not know how to or like the hassel of shifting themselves. There is just not enough market for the existence of a manual. Lexus IS350/IS-F has no auto, that's a smart move.
Old 03-26-11, 06:19 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

as time goes things change,,,stick should be special order only in my opinion,,,
Old 03-26-11, 08:01 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Cost to repair SMG > Cost to repair MT
Old 03-26-11, 08:07 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
gt2 and gt3 owners (and manufacturer) obviously disagree and the e90/92/93 were both designed with 6mt in mind.
C'mon Henry, wth does the GT2/3 have to do with a +4000 lb, 4 door luxury cruiser like the M5?

You might be one of a couple dozen buyers that would need to have the MT. The rest of the world will be happy with the DCT, including myself.
Old 03-26-11, 09:01 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Manual transmissions are stupid, I hope they go away ASAP.
I think I agree with you. Esp in a car like M5, there's no point of having a manual gear box except for the stupid bragging rights.
Old 03-26-11, 09:03 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
This.

The only reason the E60 M5 was offered in a manual was some loud bishing and moaning from a handful of "enthusiasts". The sales of the manual were a joke and shouldn't have even been offered.

If I end up choosing this to replace my F, it will certainly be DCT.

besides, BMW makes lousy manual trans. they feel like they are straight out from diesel trucks.
Old 03-26-11, 10:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
C'mon Henry, wth does the GT2/3 have to do with a +4000 lb, 4 door luxury cruiser like the M5?

You might be one of a couple dozen buyers that would need to have the MT. The rest of the world will be happy with the DCT, including myself.

i see m5 as a sport sedan, not cruiser.

see, i think a lot of you still missing my point. i never think mt has better performance or if it should be the only thing available. i always say dct is faster and mt is always in the minority, and most people would be happy with dct. i NEVER said these cars should not be mostly available in dct! but my point is on those who say mt should "die", i don't see why. there are always people who want mt for the involvement.

btw, C, i actually know a gt3 owner who has a m5 6mt. when talking to him, he did say the 6mt in e60 m5 is not as good (as most know), but he rather have a slower car (even the m5) and be involved in more aspects of driving it
Old 03-26-11, 10:47 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i see m5 as a sport sedan, not cruiser.

see, i think a lot of you still missing my point. i never think mt has better performance or if it should be the only thing available. i always say dct is faster and mt is always in the minority, and most people would be happy with dct. i NEVER said these cars should not be mostly available in dct! but my point is on those who say mt should "die", i don't see why. there are always people who want mt for the involvement.

btw, C, i actually know a gt3 owner who has a m5 6mt. when talking to him, he did say the 6mt in e60 m5 is not as good (as most know), but he rather have a slower car (even the m5) and be involved in more aspects of driving it
I have always had manual transmissions and do not even think about it any longer after all these years - in fact, I seem to like it more and more as time goes on. Maybe it is because I really do like driving in general and it just seems to be a natural part of it. I also like what Dodge did - they charge extra for the manual tranny option on the Challenger, which now a days makes sense. People who REALLY want them are willing to pay extra and also realize that they may be harder to sell because of that.

I also do not understand why people care so much that they go away. Why do you care? Just buy what you like and be done with it. I certainly don't care what other people drive. I am hoping what goes around comes around and they will become popular again. But ... I am not holding my breath.
Old 03-26-11, 11:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wrong tranny for any 5, not that volume will be substantial.

And I do enjoy personally the involvement of a manual tranny too, mostly in weekend sports cars such as Porsche 911's and Boxsters.

Quick Reply: Rumormill: 2012 BMW M5 to get manual tranny in U.S.