Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford to make Electronic-Parking-Assist Available on 90% of its Models.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Ford should go with NAV standard over park assist.
Not everyone wants NAV. It usually adds an average of about $2000 to the list-price, often vastly complicates the stereo/climate adjustments with it, can be a distraction while driving, and many people, like me, simply know how to read maps.
Old 03-28-11, 09:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not everyone wants NAV. It usually adds an average of about $2000 to the list-price, often vastly complicates the stereo/climate adjustments with it, can be a distraction while driving, and many people, like me, simply know how to read maps.
Maybe Mike,but I think more people would rather have NAV or some other option than parking assist given the choice.
Old 03-28-11, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe Mike,but I think more people would rather have NAV or some other option than parking assist given the choice.
Hey, if we just wait a few years, the government will probably make both of them standard in all new cars anyway. Soon, no one will have to have ANY driving skills or responsibilities anymore.
Old 03-28-11, 09:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey, if we just wait a few years, the government will probably make both of them standard in all new cars anyway. Soon, no one will have to have ANY driving skills or responsibilities anymore.
Could be!

I still feel it's a silly option.
Old 03-28-11, 10:01 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts

I couldn't see myself using something like this. What if it messes up and hits someone's car?
Old 03-28-11, 11:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Ford should go with NAV standard over park assist.
i disagree. i doubt my next car will have nav because a smart phone does the job perfectly well these days, doesn't cost a ridiculous amount to 'update' and is connected to everything else.

i think in car nav is going to have to get a whole lot better to beat phones.
Old 03-28-11, 12:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i disagree. i doubt my next car will have nav because a smart phone does the job perfectly well these days, doesn't cost a ridiculous amount to 'update' and is connected to everything else.

i think in car nav is going to have to get a whole lot better to beat phones.
they are getting better... and cheaper.
Old 03-28-11, 01:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed (myself included), and the marketing/sales data supports that.

btw, did you say the NAV or the NAG option ?...
Old 03-29-11, 04:45 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KFitz
not sure this is a new feature. the first cars that had it in the n. american market was the 2003 audi A8, bmw 7 series and jaguar XJ, followed by 2004 Prius. then the 2005 eos and passat, followed by Lexus LS in 2007. It always makes me sort of smile that Toyota called it a "first" for the LS when it wasn't really a first at all and was actually like 5 years after the 7 and A8 had it.

now today it seems like every new car has it, well at least every premium car. I know every new audi has one, as well as Lincoln, lexus, Jaguar, etc. It's a really cool feature. miss it in my IS:[
Granted i did know about the Prius in asia having this feature but i never heard or saw nothing about it on the 7, A8 or any Jag! Was i living under a rock or is this false info?
Old 03-29-11, 04:53 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Had me scared there for a minute. Thought i might have lost some of my memory. LOL
Old 03-29-11, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
btw, did you say the NAV or the NAG option ?...
A number of today's cars have both. The Infiniti Lane-Departure-Warning beeper is a good example of the latter. On a narrow winding two-lane road, It goes off almost constantly, seemingly at the first quarter-inch drift towards the center line....even with an attentive driver like me.
Old 03-29-11, 09:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A number of today's cars have both. The Infiniti Lane-Departure-Warning beeper is a good example of the latter. On a narrow winding two-lane road, It goes off almost constantly, seemingly at the first quarter-inch drift towards the center line....even with an attentive driver like me.
Be glad that NAG option has an off button and it would a good idea to know how to operate it.
Old 03-29-11, 10:04 PM
svlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is this a feature? Isnt parallel parking on the drivers test? You line up steering wheel to steering wheel, crank the steering and back it in.

I cant understand how its legal to let cars drive themselves? parking is one of the danger areas where you may hit a pedestrian, child , or animal. A computer is much more suited to drive a car on the highway. I hope this stuff gets outlawed.
Edit- I got a gps map thing for christmas 2 years ago. I turned it down immediately, I am convinced it makes people idiots.

Last edited by svlexus; 03-29-11 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 07:51 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Default Ford Has It, Will Toyota Be Next?

Just saw a commercial with the Ford Focus having a Parking Assist package, where the car will park itself, just like the Lexus LS, BMW 5 and 7 series, etc.

Since this option is available for such a small compact sedan, will Toyota have this option for some of it's upcoming models? Prius? Corolla? Camry?
Old 04-08-11, 07:58 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

I got to hand it to Ford, they are really doing big things.

Personally, I'm more excited about the current Ford lineup than Honda or Toyota.

I also saw that the new Focus has Torque Vectoring. Its nice to see this being applied to a car in this segment. Although I do wonder about the reliability and maintenance down the road.

Quick Reply: Ford to make Electronic-Parking-Assist Available on 90% of its Models.