Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford to make Electronic-Parking-Assist Available on 90% of its Models.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 08:00 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Available on Prius since intoduction a couple years ago.

Advanced Parking Guidance System (APGS)
http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/demos.html
Old 04-09-11, 08:39 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Toyota system uses ultrasonic sensors too to detects obstacles, video is used to position the vehicle.

"Exclusive" because it is questionably faster? It is just deceiving PR piece from Ford, trying to reinvent themselves.
Exclusive logic, i presume. It sure seemed to work faster than the LS demo.
Old 04-09-11, 01:19 PM
LexFather

Oh I see..
Lexus/Toyota do it. Its dumb and then overlooked.
Ford does it after them, OMG that is incredible!

I watched a girl in a Civic try to parallel park in a space big enough for a Excursion for no joke, 15 minutes. And I gave up and left. If these features will help her park, I am all for it. It will prevent frustration and hopefully vehicle damage.

Our RX 400h has a rear cam but no parking assist. We both prefer the parking assist in the 450h. It really helps with parking.

I also don't get why it seems some Lexus vehicles have the reverse lines in the Cam but not all of them.

Old 04-09-11, 02:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I watched a girl in a Civic try to parallel park in a space big enough for a Excursion for no joke, 15 minutes. And I gave up and left.
And you didn't offer, like a gentleman, to park it for her ?
Old 04-09-11, 02:24 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And you didn't offer, like a gentleman, to park it for her ?
Gotcha. Lol.
Old 04-09-11, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
Gotcha. Lol.
I meant park the CAR.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-09-11 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-09-11, 03:20 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, people may forget that this was invented first for the JDM Prius way back in 2004. The LS got it 2 years later. Many believe incorrectly that it was a world first on the LS.

Anyway, I think it's just a waste of resources to implement them on cheaper mainstream cars. Then again, if it's only optional, then it's up to the buyer whether they believe it's really worth many hundreds, if not over a thousand bucks for a feature then may seldom use.

Also, I believe that if you're too stupid to not be able to park then you're probably incapable of selecting the park assist on the screen. Either way, if you can't parallel park, turn in your license.
Old 04-09-11, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-

Also, I believe that if you're too stupid to not be able to park then you're probably incapable of selecting the park assist on the screen. Either way, if you can't parallel park, turn in your license..
When I first got my license (decades ago) parallel-parking was part of the driving-test. And you didn't have DMV-contractors checking you out back then....a real police officer, with a badge, rode in the front seat next to you and told you what to do.
Old 04-09-11, 04:03 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, people may forget that this was invented first for the JDM Prius way back in 2004. The LS got it 2 years later. Many believe incorrectly that it was a world first on the LS.

Anyway, I think it's just a waste of resources to implement them on cheaper mainstream cars. Then again, if it's only optional, then it's up to the buyer whether they believe it's really worth many hundreds, if not over a thousand bucks for a feature then may seldom use.

Also, I believe that if you're too stupid to not be able to park then you're probably incapable of selecting the park assist on the screen. Either way, if you can't parallel park, turn in your license.
Old 04-09-11, 08:41 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway, I think it's just a waste of resources to implement them on cheaper mainstream cars.
It uses sensors that are already used for park assist (beeping front and back bumper) so it's actually very cheap compared to other implementations.

Since I own a Lincoln with this tech let me elaborate a bit. There is nothing to select on the screen. You push a button, pull forward slowly, it notifies the space is big enough, put in reverse, keep your foot on the brake and back it in while it steers.

Oh I see..
Lexus/Toyota do it. Its dumb and then overlooked.
Ford does it after them, OMG that is incredible!
I think the key difference here is how fast and well it works. I was very surprised that with the cheap sensors they are able to make it work so seamlessly and with basically no complicated user input.

Here's a video that compares the original Lexus and Ford systems. There's lots of other demos out there on youtube too.

demo video

Note the second generation system on the Toyota is much, much better than the first gen Lexus system (WRT complexity and speed).

I watched a girl in a Civic try to parallel park in a space big enough for a Excursion for no joke, 15 minutes. And I gave up and left. If these features will help her park, I am all for it. It will prevent frustration and hopefully vehicle damage.
Unfortunately nothing can help some people. Here's someone that thought the Ford system does everything. Oh, yeah... I'm supposed to use the brakes.

Use the Brakes Luke...

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 04-09-11 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-10-11, 02:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i would much rather be able to select the space, than do it blinded... and yes, those you tube videos were done by Ford :-)

Prius G3 system was million times faster than that video from Ford shows on LS... lol.