Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Prius C Concept

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 11:54 AM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The concept looked great. The production looks alright, better than the current IMO. Should have stuck more with the concept though!
Old 06-03-11, 07:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
You guys sure this isn't a Yaris hybrid?

If it is the C, I'm disappointed that the lights moved to a conventional location.
it is the C, looks too much like Prius... also looks wider than Yaris too for some reason, overall slightly bigger than Yaris, maybe even stretched platform.
Old 06-03-11, 08:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whoster
Hate center-mounted gauges.

hate hate hate hate
i had gen2 prius and you adjust and it feels natural later on... what I do hate is if they dont do anything with space in front of you, so it just looks really weird with blank space.

euro verso has that and because of it i really dislike its interior.
Old 06-04-11, 10:00 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
now let's see if the gauges also move to a conventional location (not holding breath)
Originally Posted by whoster
Hate center-mounted gauges.

hate hate hate hate
Originally Posted by spwolf
i had gen2 prius and you adjust and it feels natural later on... what I do hate is if they dont do anything with space in front of you, so it just looks really weird with blank space.

There you have it.
Old 06-04-11, 12:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

we all saw it, thats what we were commenting on :-)
Old 06-29-11, 11:21 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Toyota Prius C Begins to Take Shape
The latest member of the Prius family, the Prius v, which we featured in a couple of weeks ago, is just the first new addition to the growing Prius lineup. Destined to land in U.S. showrooms soon, the v is a larger, five-seat Prius with tweaked handling and bigger brakes. Last month, we revealed the Prius Coupe concept, a two-door that promises to put "fun to drive" and "hybrid" on the same page for the first time. Expected a Couple launch date in 2015.

And now we bring you the third new variant of the Prius lineup, the Prius c, a five-door hybrid hatch that sources suggest will employ the same platform as the Toyota Rush, boast all-wheel drive, and target the likes of Nissan's Juke. Our sources confirm the Prius c concept that recently made the rounds on the auto show circuit has absolutely nothing to do with the upcoming production version Prius c.

Boasting dimensions similar to the Prius v, the production Prius c is expected to deliver class-leading fuel efficiency figures and offer more engaging handling. With a wheelbase of about 100 inches (3 inches longer than a current Yaris) and an overall length of around 156 inches (6 inches longer than a Yaris), the new Prius will employ a revised 1.5 liter four-cylinder with Toyota's new THSII system. Like the coming Yaris hybrid, it will house the lithium-ion battery pack under the rear seats and employ a totally new front end. The c will also incorporate a unique design, larger all around than the Yaris. Originally slated for a December 2011 debut, the c's reveal now looks like it is being pushed back to spring 2012 due in part to the massive earthquake that shook Japan on March 11 and badly affected parts manufacturers in the region. Our source tells us that the c will go on sale, in Japan at least, for under 1.8 million yen (around $22,000 at today's exchange rates).

And that's just the start of Toyota's ambitious expansion plans. Within the next few years, Toyota is planning to launch a Prius SUV and convertible in addition to the new Prius v and Prius Coupe as part of its Prius brand. Toyota plans to celebrate the brand's launch with the next-gen Prius and the flagship Coupe, probably sometime in 2014.
Old 06-29-11, 11:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

thats not what they think Prius c is - Prius c is that other pic :-).

There is no way Prius c is going to be based on Rush, Rush is RWD small SUV size of Rav4 Gen2.
Old 06-29-11, 03:30 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I thought Toyota already explicitly stated that they were NOT doing a prius sub brand?
Old 06-29-11, 03:38 PM
LexFather

They are not, they are simply going to have a Prius C, D, Z, G etc....Brilliant....

This could make a killer DD.....

The sleeping giant is awake!

Old 07-12-11, 09:47 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
^But Toyota announced that the Prius C will get better MPG than the current Prius, which gets 52/48. Is it too much to expect 50/70? or 70/50?
To be honest, yes. The reason is that the Prius c also is going to undercut the Prius in pricing. It's going to be the cheapest Prius available. To get 60 or 70mpg in the city would require extra cost like more lightweight materials or a revised battery.

The current Prius sits at 50mpg. I would think 55mpg combined is a reasonable start. It is harder and harder to gain mpg as you go up the scale without incurring large costs. (Think original Insight)
Old 07-13-11, 05:20 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
To be honest, yes. The reason is that the Prius c also is going to undercut the Prius in pricing. It's going to be the cheapest Prius available. To get 60 or 70mpg in the city would require extra cost like more lightweight materials or a revised battery.

The current Prius sits at 50mpg. I would think 55mpg combined is a reasonable start. It is harder and harder to gain mpg as you go up the scale without incurring large costs. (Think original Insight)
True. Just look at how many advancements it took to improve just 3 MPG from the 2nd Gen Prius to the 3rd Gen Prius. And the fact that no one else is even close to 50 MPG.

It's unlikely the Prius C will be any more than 55 MPG.
Old 07-13-11, 10:20 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that physically I won't get used to the location of center mounted gauges.

I aesthetically find center-mounted gauges unacceptably ugly and I can't get used to that.
Old 07-13-11, 10:29 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

a $19,999 car that gets 55mpg would be pretty enticing to a lot of people...

I'm curious to see what the Yaris hybrid specs/price will be.
Old 07-13-11, 10:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrMut
a $19,999 car that gets 55mpg would be pretty enticing to a lot of people...

I'm curious to see what the Yaris hybrid specs/price will be.
so far doesnt seem like Prius C and Yaris HSD are same car... Prius C literally looks like smaller Prius, there is an quite large (and wide) difference when you actually compare spy shots of both cars.

Prius C looks like Auris based vehicle, or simply one size shorter Prius, just like Prius V was one size larger.
Old 08-17-11, 10:37 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

There doesn't seem to be much news on this for the past month.

Still waiting to see prices, starting at $17-18k would be ideal.

Quick Reply: Prius C Concept