Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3 Blink Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I assume you haven't experienced it based on above statement.
Yes I have....a number of times, especially in test-drives of newer M-B and BMW products. I personally don't care for it as much as the conventional finger-push-delay flashers on the stalk where you, as the driver, determine how long they stay on.

Some cops are also very strict about this, and will stop you if they think you didn't use the blinkers long enough before a turn or lane-change.

IMO (having used it in several Benzes both owned and driven), it's not that big of a deal in terms of added value.
Agreed...it's a minor issue at best. A more serious complaint, IMO, that I have about M-B stalks (as a M-B owner, you may or may not agree) is the way they are mounted on the left side of the steering-column in a way that can be confusing with the cruise-control stalk. If you aren't careful (or until you get used to it) you can end up making speed-changes or turning the system on and off by accidentally hitting the wrong lever. I've never liked the way M-B does that.

(Consumer Reports, BTW, has also complained about this design, but not in a serious manner).
Old 03-29-11, 09:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes I have....a number of times, especially in test-drives of newer M-B and BMW products. I personally don't care for it as much as the conventional finger-push-delay flashers on the stalk where you, as the driver, determine how long they stay on.

Some cops are also very strict about this, and will stop you if they think you didn't use the blinkers long enough before a turn or lane-change.

Agreed...it's a minor issue at best. A more serious complaint, IMO, that I have about M-B stalks (as a M-B owner, you may or may not agree) is the way they are mounted on the left side of the steering-column in a way that can be confusing with the cruise-control stalk. If you aren't careful (or until you get used to it) you can end up making speed-changes or turning the system on and off by accidentally hitting the wrong lever. I've never liked the way M-B does that.

(Consumer Reports, BTW, has also complained about this design, but not in a serious manner).
Mike,I think if you had the feature in your daily driver and more than a test drive or two or five,you would like it.
Old 03-29-11, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The difference is one touch (using lane changing feature) and 3 blinks result, you don't have to leave hand or finger on stalk to keep it blinking 3 times.
Is 3 blinks, though, really long enough to get other driver's attention? I see people driving down the road, all the time, with their heads in the clouds, straight as an arrow, with blinkers signalling a turn or lane change that is never made (at the risk of a stereotype, this is common with elderly drivers). Of course, that also, I admit, supports your arguement, to some extent, that if they only blink 3 times, they can't stay on inadvertantly.
Old 03-29-11, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Mike,I think if you had the feature in your daily driver and more than a test drive or two or five,you would like it.
Maybe so. For me, it's a minor issue at best. I know I've made it sound more significant, in my posts here, that it probably really is. A more annoying matter, IMO, is the way M-B mounts the stalks to start with, for reasons I explained above.
Old 03-29-11, 09:47 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Are Lincoln, Cadillac, and Buick the only cars that have turn signals that get really loud if you leave them on for more than 1/4 mile?
Oh the stereotype that goes with that description--Mmarshall will kill me for that

and you would think the driver would recognize it or hear it by then???
Old 03-29-11, 09:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe so. For me, it's a minor issue at best. I know I've made it sound more significant, in my posts here, that it probably really is. A more annoying matter, IMO, is the way M-B mounts the stalks to start with, for reasons I explained above.
It's really only good for highway lane change use.
Old 03-29-11, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Oh the stereotype that goes with that description--Mmarshall will kill me for that
Sometimes I don't hear the blinkers, myself, unless I turn up my hearing aid.

(Just kidding)
Old 03-29-11, 09:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is 3 blinks, though, really long enough to get other driver's attention? I see people driving down the road, all the time, with their heads in the clouds, straight as an arrow, with blinkers signalling a turn or lane change that is never made (at the risk of a stereotype, this is common with elderly drivers). Of course, that also, I admit, supports your arguement, to some extent, that if they only blink 3 times, they can't stay on inadvertantly.
3 blinks usually is enough and is far better than no blinks.

Of course in American with many less than skilled drivers..........
Old 03-29-11, 10:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

3 blinks usually is enough and is far better than no blinks.

Of course in American with many less than skilled drivers..........
agreed. if you take more than 3 blinks to make a lane change (or for others to notice), you are probably not doing it right.
Old 03-29-11, 11:47 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Funny I was just thinking to myself the other day in my C that three blinks isnt enough. I know it is not meant to really tell anyone you are changing lanes but is more of a formality, but it should really be 4 blinks.

By the time I click for three blinks, I am barely into half of the other lane when the blinks stop.

And what is also really annoying is if I use the three blinkers, and then the person behind me cuts first, and then it has to finish keep blinking, I cant just snap it out of the blinking mode like with a hard push . This will often confuse that driver and so he wont move past fast enough for me to cut through
Old 03-29-11, 11:55 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the difference? Almost all new vehicles, today, have the "Lane-Change" feature on the stalk that flashes the turn-signal when you press lightly on the stalk, without clicking the stalk in place. The moment you let up on the light finger-pressure, the stalk automatically springs back to the center-position and the blinking stops. So what does it matter if it flashes only 3 times or until you let up on the stalk with the finger-pressure?

In fact, I'd rather have it that way...determing for myself how long the flashers stay on while changing lanes, rather than only 3 flashes at a time.
you can use the "lane change feature" in exactly the same manner as the old style blinker. if you hold it down it will keep blinking. its just an added feature, not replacing one. much the same as one touch up/down power windows. or do you prefer the "control" of raising the windows with the switch?
Old 03-29-11, 11:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Funny I was just thinking to myself the other day in my C that three blinks isnt enough. I know it is not meant to really tell anyone you are changing lanes but is more of a formality, but it should really be 4 blinks.

By the time I click for three blinks, I am barely into half of the other lane when the blinks stop.

And what is also really annoying is if I use the three blinkers, and then the person behind me cuts first, and then it has to finish keep blinking, I cant just snap it out of the blinking mode like with a hard push . This will often confuse that driver and so he wont move past fast enough for me to cut through
hahaa, just go ahead and continue change lane

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
you can use the "lane change feature" in exactly the same manner as the old style blinker. if you hold it down it will keep blinking. its just an added feature, not replacing one. much the same as one touch up/down power windows. or do you prefer the "control" of raising the windows with the switch?
better yet, the old school manual rolling windows!
Old 03-29-11, 12:24 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn signal???

J/K... Wolf has it too
Old 03-29-11, 12:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sometimes I don't hear the blinkers, myself, unless I turn up my hearing aid.

(Just kidding)
Glad to hear that it wasn't because your seeing eye dog didn't notice, followed by hyperbole about BMW's telepathic steering being so good even blind people would enjoy....

(Just kidding)
Old 03-29-11, 12:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
I've had that happen to me in the C-class, it's kind of annoying.

As I said earlier, I'm not sure this feature adds a lot of value, at least for me that is.

Quick Reply: 3 Blink Turn Signal