Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3 Blink Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 01:28 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like the 3-blink lane change signal. Had it in my Mercedes ML. 3 blinks has usually been enough for me, sometime I wish it would have been 5 blinks, but nonetheless still good enough. It's best for moderate city and highway traffic.

In heavily populated areas it's not going to be enough or particularly useless where you're better off leaving the signal on, or just pushing your way through without advance notice (New York style). But in suburban areas, very nice.
Old 03-29-11, 04:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Welcome to CL. Consider completing your profile so we can see what part of the world you are in.

How do you customize or program a Mercedes to go from 3 blinks to 5 blinks?

Note: We often seek useful information here, so I thought I would ask.
Old 03-29-11, 04:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KFitz
Thanks, IS-SV. I am a student at UC Berkeley studying at the Haas School of Business. I see you are from the south bay. I am from Danville/blackhawk CA. we have the auto museum at Blackhawk plaza, have you been?

The experience with customizing has been on my friends 2009 Audi A4 and 2007 VW Jetta. I think it's a standard feature on those cars if you have the steering wheel controls, you control it in the instrument cluster display options menu. And as was mentioned earlier, the new Elantra and Focus/Fiesta have this feature too, from firsthand experience.

I used to have a 2001 jetta vr6 and i did this mod to it:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3736236

you hit it once for 3 blinks, and if you hold it for more than half a second lets say, it does 4 blinks. it was the best mod I ever did and i wish it was on my IS.
Kfitz -

Thanks, I'll check my Mercedes manual to see if adjustments can be made via instrument cluster menus.

Yes, I attended a corporate dinner party at the Blackhawk auto museum a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. For a car enthusiast it has to be one of the best dinner settings in the US.

I see you have a IS Lexus. You will find the 1st and 2nd gen IS sections of the forum to be loaded with useful info.
Old 03-30-11, 12:47 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed...it's a minor issue at best. A more serious complaint, IMO, that I have about M-B stalks (as a M-B owner, you may or may not agree) is the way they are mounted on the left side of the steering-column in a way that can be confusing with the cruise-control stalk. If you aren't careful (or until you get used to it) you can end up making speed-changes or turning the system on and off by accidentally hitting the wrong lever. I've never liked the way M-B does that.

(Consumer Reports, BTW, has also complained about this design, but not in a serious manner).
Can't disagree more Mike.

Actual owners do get used to it and it becomes second nature. I much prefer the third stalk in the ML compared to the console mounted shifter in our X5. It frees up space and leaves the console area unencumbered. Nothing more annoying than reaching for my drink and banging the gear shift.

Some like to shift gears with the shifter in the X5, but again, I prefer the paddles that come on the ML that leaves the console cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails 3 Blink Turn Signal-interior.jpg  
Old 03-30-11, 12:48 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

For whatever reason, it wouldn't let me post multiple pics in my previous post.
Attached Thumbnails 3 Blink Turn Signal-interior.jpg  
Old 03-30-11, 05:06 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Can't disagree more Mike.

Actual owners do get used to it and it becomes second nature. I much prefer the third stalk in the ML compared to the console mounted shifter in our X5. It frees up space and leaves the console area unencumbered. Nothing more annoying than reaching for my drink and banging the gear shift.

Some like to shift gears with the shifter in the X5, but again, I prefer the paddles that come on the ML that leaves the console cleaner.
In all my years and experience owning and driving a Mercedes, I've never mistaken the cruise control stalk for the turn signal stalk. Like you said, it becomes second nature to learn the placement.
Old 03-30-11, 07:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX_330
In all my years and experience owning and driving a Mercedes, I've never mistaken the cruise control stalk for the turn signal stalk. Like you said, it becomes second nature to learn the placement.
Yes.

That's the reality of actual ownership experiences (versus 30 minute test drives). I've experienced the same thing after owning and driving several Benzs over last 15 years.
Old 03-30-11, 11:05 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

When I first got my MB, I did confuse the turn signal for the CC, but now my mind unconsciously knows which car I am in and it is never a problem
Old 03-30-11, 12:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

same here, took me about 2 mins and it's never a problem again

back to the 3 blink, it's a feature you can turn on and off. unlike lexus, you don't even have that option. i actually talked to quite a few bmw owners (and a few porsche iirc and mb), all get used to the 3 blink just fine and they like the idea. they rather flip it than having their finger out to "hold" it in place.