Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got a ticket in my own parking spot!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 10:25 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ im wondering the same thing. Gotta be some low life degenerates trying to make money off of people living in this damn city
Old 03-29-11, 10:35 PM
svlexus
Driver

around here its a village sticker. When I was a kid I used all the money from my grandmas will to buy my first car. A $600 1969 chevy malibu/chevelle. It was a pos, and I was always trying to keep it running. The wise police wrote me up for village sticker 6 days in a row, hundreds of dollars in fines. I went and bought the sticker but in court the judge didnt let me off since i had multiple tickets. So I didnt pay and it ruined my credit from 18 to 25 yrs old.

Last year I got notice that the 19 year old tickets would result in drivers licence suspension? The state of Illinois created a law which is retroactive? I doubt this has ever been challenged because obviously laws cant be infinitely retroactive, but they are in Illinois. Apparently there is no statue of limitation on tickets, I had no option other than pay up. Its crooked to me, because the city sold those tickets to a collection agency years ago. IF anyone had a right to continue trying to collect it wouldve been that agency.

Last edited by svlexus; 03-29-11 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-29-11, 10:39 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

^^^^^^ damn, so what the hell are these town stickers used for???? To know who ur neighbor is???Wtf
Old 03-29-11, 10:43 PM
svlexus
Driver

its to pay for local street repairs I guess? Its like a road use tax. I have had race cars that werent on the road and they need it too. The city assigned parking spot is unheard of here though. In chicago the sticker costs alot but allows you to park in your neighborhood and people without it cant park there. I live in Chicago burbs and parking is readily available.
Old 03-30-11, 06:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
^Well then that's my question. If you didn't commit any infractions couldn't you just ignore it and if they contact you, just tell them to tell you what the problem is? Then again they would probably ticket you for inaction for their mistake, so don't take my advice.
ignoring a ticket is a mistake, even if it's in error. eventually a warrant would be issued.

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
received an email from the officer
"Mr. Naeem
The parking violation that was given to you was an error. The intended charge should have been “no town decal”. Your current ticket will be voided however, I advise you to obtain a town decal for your car.
Thanks
Officer B.K. Fields"

WTF is this town decal, never had it in my old neighborhood. Plus the damn decal is $27
assume a town decal indicates you're a local and allowed to park where you do, but don't take advice from CL on this one.

^^^^ im wondering the same thing. Gotta be some low life degenerates trying to make money off of people living in this damn city
most cities are flat broke due to promised govt pensions they can't afford and crushed property taxes due to the housing mess. they'll be trying to make it up any way they can. unless of course you'd rather have no police at all. (don't say you would - that would be a mistake!)
Old 03-30-11, 12:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

^^^^^^ damn, so what the hell are these town stickers used for???? To know who ur neighbor is???Wtf

Since I live in VA like you do, I'll explain it.

In VA, because of a clause in the State Constitution, counties and some local jurisdictions are not allowed to levy income taxes (only the state). So, to get around that, some counties, cities and towns, in addition to the real estate tax and personal-property tax (if applicable) on assessed yearly car-values, also, in some cases, charge a yearly fee (usually under $50) for a decal that you stick on your windshield next to the state-inspection sticker. It's basically just a small yearly-tax and little else, done purely for local revenue. But, if you live in and have your car registered in that jurisdiction, you have to have the decal on your car.....if not, a cop can stop you and give you a fine and maybe a court appearance (that is considered tax evasion).

That's also important when a damaged windshield is replaced....both the inspecton stickers and local decals (if applicable) have to be transferred to the new windshield (usually at no cost).

VA, to my knowledge, is the only state in the country like that, where some cities and towns are legally and politically independent of counties, and have their own taxing authority.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-11 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 12:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would rather pay the 25 bucks and not have to hassle with phone calls, letters , and court. The people who write parking tickets didnt get the job because they were bright or educated.
Old 03-30-11, 12:44 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info mmarshall, a few of my friends live in the same area and iasked them about and they were like what he'll is that. I'm wondering if this is like a point and choose type of thing. I mean if this town requires a town decal I should've been notified when I moved here 9 months ago
Old 03-30-11, 12:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the info mmarshall, a few of my friends live in the same area and iasked them about and they were like what he'll is that. I'm wondering if this is like a point and choose type of thing. I mean if this town requires a town decal I should've been notified when I moved here 9 months ago
I haven't moved for a long time and may not know the current accepted-practice, but it seems to me like the real estate agent who handled your move should have mentioned that to you. If not, he or she could at least given you a handbook of the town's regulations.

And......one more thing. You're not active-duty military, are you, on a temporarily-asignment in VA? They, by law, are exempt from some (not all) of VA's taxation requirements.
Old 03-30-11, 01:09 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I mean if this town requires a town decal I should've been notified when I moved here 9 months ago

Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is never an excuse...even when the law is unpopular and obscure.

And yeah, Virginia goes out of their way to make things complicated. There are counties, and cities. But the cities aren't in the counties!

You look on a map and see the City of Alexandria in Fairfax County. Wrong. The "City of Alexandria" is a separate geographic entity from "Fairfax County". To be even more confusing, there's a "City of Fairfax" which, while right smack dab in the middle of "Fairfax County" is not actually IN "Fairfax County". You either live in a county's jurisdiction, or a city's...not both.

It's not like "I live in the city of Parkersburg, which is in Wood County".

Needlessly complicated.
Old 03-30-11, 01:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Habious

And yeah, Virginia goes out of their way to make things complicated. There are counties, and cities. But the cities aren't in the counties!

You look on a map and see the City of Alexandria in Fairfax County. Wrong. The "City of Alexandria" is a separate geographic entity from "Fairfax County". To be even more confusing, there's a "City of Fairfax" which, while right smack dab in the middle of "Fairfax County" is not actually IN "Fairfax County". You either live in a county's jurisdiction, or a city's...not both.

It's not like "I live in the city of Parkersburg, which is in Wood County".

Needlessly complicated.
Yes......as I pinted out a couple of posts ago, we're the only state in the country where some (not all) of the cities and towns are separate jurisdictions from the counties, with different taxes. Some counties, of course, also require decals. But, the flip side, of course, is no local income-taxes...the state outlaws it.

Still a great place to live, though.........and VA is extremely well-run. We're arguably, right now, the only state in the country with a surplus in the state budget, not having to face budget-cutbacks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-11 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 01:24 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

great info guys, there were things u guys mention i didnt even know even thou i was born in this state. I guess lack of communication with my real estate agent. But yea i guess ill be getting decals for my cars. I personally prefer to live in some parts of Woodbridge than dumfries. Will be moving there next.
Old 03-30-11, 02:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by svlexus
around here its a village sticker. When I was a kid I used all the money from my grandmas will to buy my first car. A $600 1969 chevy malibu/chevelle. It was a pos, and I was always trying to keep it running. The wise police wrote me up for village sticker 6 days in a row, hundreds of dollars in fines. I went and bought the sticker but in court the judge didnt let me off since i had multiple tickets. So I didnt pay and it ruined my credit from 18 to 25 yrs old.

Last year I got notice that the 19 year old tickets would result in drivers licence suspension? The state of Illinois created a law which is retroactive? I doubt this has ever been challenged because obviously laws cant be infinitely retroactive, but they are in Illinois. Apparently there is no statue of limitation on tickets, I had no option other than pay up. Its crooked to me, because the city sold those tickets to a collection agency years ago. IF anyone had a right to continue trying to collect it wouldve been that agency.

WOW!! I am speechless
Old 03-30-11, 05:27 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

always had beef with campus parking people when i was in college,,,those people were vicious with them parking tickets,,it was kind of funny watchin them struggle to put boot on my 20 spoke wheels,,yes, 20 skinny spokes on my wheels,,