Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla suing Top Gear over bad reviews

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11 | 02:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I am not a fan of the lawsuit itself. Waste of shareholder resources.
Old 03-30-11 | 04:07 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

they call that libel????

i see nothing wrong with that review.

fact is, as long as electric cars have short range and take an eternity to charge, they won't catch on.
Old 03-30-11 | 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Waste of shareholder resources.
Will you still feel that way if Tesla wins and get a good settlement? That will probably improve the company's bottom line....and increase the possibility of some dividends.

I myself am not taking sides or predicting an outcome....but the burden of proof is obviously on Tesla.
Old 03-30-11 | 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
fact is, as long as electric cars have short range and take an eternity to charge, they won't catch on.
Auto-manufacturers are working with utility-power companies to develop 400-volt chargers. When operational, they should be able to charge a state-of-the-art lithium-ion-battery electric vehicle in about 20-30 minutes. Typical 110-120V house current takes about 8 hours; the more-powerful 220V outlets about 4 hours. I don't know if Top Gear mentioned that or not......I didn't watch the episode.
Old 03-30-11 | 08:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Auto-manufacturers are working with utility-power companies to develop 400-volt chargers. When operational, they should be able to charge a state-of-the-art lithium-ion-battery electric vehicle in abojuut 20-30 minutes. Typical 110-120V house current takes about 8 hours; the more-powerful 220V outlets about 4 hours.
Wake me up in 20 years when that becomes even somewhat widely available
Old 03-30-11 | 08:42 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
CL Folding 10,000

It seems pretty stupid that they're suing them.
Old 03-30-11 | 08:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Wake me up in 20 years when that becomes even somewhat widely available
20 years? That will depend on public-acceptance of electric cars. The public's current (no pun intended) rejection of electric cars is partially due, as the thread-topic suggests, to long, inconvienient charging times and a lack of public charging-stations. But, if the 400V chargers can be developed, produced at reasonable expense, and installed at enough places across the country (homes, malls, hotels/motels, work-places, etc....), then perhaps public-acceptance of full-electrics will widen. Also to be worked out, of course, is how utility-companies will be able to handle the extra electrical load of charging a lot of vehicles at once, and how it will be paid for.
Old 03-30-11 | 08:47 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Is it me, or does Tesla always talk a big game and then show up and really prove nothing?
Old 03-30-11 | 10:54 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

lemme know when someone makes a battery capable of being quick charged repeatedly without frying.

those 15 minute chargers for our small electronics supposedly shorten the life of rechargeable batteries.
Old 03-31-11 | 12:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

they call that libel????

i see nothing wrong with that review.

i think the problem was that Top Gear pushed the Tesla into garage, claiming it run out of electricity when in fact, it did not.
Old 03-31-11 | 08:30 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think the problem was that Top Gear pushed the Tesla into garage, claiming it run out of electricity when in fact, it did not.
They did push it into the garage without the car running out of juice but Clarkson said based on their calculations it "would" run out of battery at 55 miles but he didn't actually claim it ran out.

That aside tho the car did overheat and break down and the second car's brakes failed (what did Tesla buy the brakes from Toyota ) at one point.

BBC claims that the claim that the car ran out of battery was never made, just hinted to what would happen in such a case. You'd have to push it back to your garage. Tesla apparently asked the Top Gear team to correct the statements made in order to correct the impression that review can leave with viewers. That has not happened and the result is now a lawsuit. On the track, Clarkson said, the car "would" run out of juice after just 55 miles. "Would" is, of course, the keyword here.

Last edited by Stormwind; 03-31-11 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-31-11 | 09:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

lemme know when someone makes a battery capable of being quick charged repeatedly without frying.

those 15 minute chargers for our small electronics supposedly shorten the life of rechargeable batteries.
Automotive battery-packs, though, are anything BUT small.
Old 03-31-11 | 09:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Will you still feel that way if Tesla wins and get a good settlement? That will probably improve the company's bottom line....and increase the possibility of some dividends.

I myself am not taking sides or predicting an outcome....but the burden of proof is obviously on Tesla.
Not enough to money to make a difference. I know because I understand the company (I actually have had some contact with corporate management at that company) In short this is nuisance lawsuit, a "good"'settlement would not be material.

Btw-the goal really is not large sums of money.
Old 03-31-11 | 11:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormwind
They did push it into the garage without the car running out of juice but Clarkson said based on their calculations it "would" run out of battery at 55 miles but he didn't actually claim it ran out.

That aside tho the car did overheat and break down and the second car's brakes failed (what did Tesla buy the brakes from Toyota ) at one point.
thats a lot like driving M3 and then pretending it broke down, quoting JD Powers and CR.

:-)
Old 04-01-11 | 07:22 AM
grabber2
Racer

Originally Posted by Stormwind
So if you are a up and coming car company that makes a vehicle with questionable reliablity and your flaws got exposed by THE top car show in the world, what would you do?
"THE top car show in the world"?????

You gotta be kidding me...........They rate car base on european: always #1, any other car post threat to european are crap or under rate it. Why the hell you test the LFA on a raining day??? its built for dry road!!!!

In addition, they said the Hyundai Genesis coupe is better than Lexus sc430. From their favor word: "bloody hell!!!". Only ignorance british will compare the two..........

Quick Reply: Tesla suing Top Gear over bad reviews