Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla suing Top Gear over bad reviews

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11 | 01:30 PM
Fulorian
Driver School Candidate

Actually, they said they liked the Hyundai Coupe (ie Tiburon) better. That review was from the early 2000s, long before the Genesis Coupe.

It was amusing watching Tesla's stock plunge 30% the day of the insider IPO lockup period expiring. Gee, I wonder what they know that we don't.
Old 04-02-11 | 04:32 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Habious
And, if you publiclly state incorrect or misleading facts about someone or a company's product...and those statements cause harm, you can be sued for libel.
Yeah, I remember watching this when it aired and it just reaked of bias. If I were Tesla I would sue em too.
Old 04-02-11 | 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by grabber
In addition, they said the Hyundai Genesis coupe is better than Lexus sc430. From their favor word: "bloody hell!!!"
The Genesis Coupe, paricularly the 3.8 Track model, is a superb sports-coupe (IMO, after driving it, it compares with many BMWs), but, of course, its interior and overall luxury/refinement level cannot compare to the SC430...or even its Genesis sedan brother.

Only ignorance british will compare the two.......
I wouldn't call Clarkson ignorant. I'm not necessarily a fan of the way he reviews and writes-up cars, but he has a lot of experience behind the wheel, particularly with some exotic and mega-extensive cars that I myself have not had a chance to drive....and probably won't. And other British reviewers (I've read some of them) don't necessarily have Clarkson's style either, so you can't lump them together as a group.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-11 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-03-11 | 08:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by grabber2
"THE top car show in the world"?????

You gotta be kidding me...........
no, really not kidding you - it is by far the highest rated, most popular car show in the entire world.
Old 04-04-11 | 09:17 PM
Stormwind
Racer

UPDATE: Top Gear fires back.

I'll be cheering for Top Gear, Go Team Clarkson.

Top Gear Executive Producer fires back at Tesla Motors

In the eyes of many parents, their children can do no wrong. Efforts by others to point out any wrongdoings can be met with contempt or denial by parents. Like a parent scorned by a watchful school teacher, Tesla Motors lashed out at the BBC's popular Top Gear program after its battery of tests showed that the all-electric Roadster was anything but perfect.

Tesla filed a lawsuit against the BBC last week, citing numerous errors in Jeremy Clarkson's review of the Roadster and basically called the Top Gear crew a bunch of liars. Tesla went on to say that even though the original episode featuring the roadster aired over two years ago, the fact that the episode is still rebroadcast and available freely over the internet means that potential customers are not getting the "real" story on its "baby".

While the BBC issues a brief statement following the announcement of the lawsuit last week stating that it would "vigorously defend" Top Gear, the show’s executive producer is firing back with full force now.

"The normal procedure for the BBC in a legal case is to acknowledge receipt of the other party’s claim, and then say no more and get on with preparing its [defense] for court," said Top Gear Executive Producer Andy Wilman. "Tesla, however, doesn’t seem content to wait for the legal eagles to settle matters. On the contrary, it’s been very busy promoting its side of the argument through the media."

Wilman goes on to counter three of Tesla's sticking points in a blog post:

We never said that the Tesla’s true range is only 55 miles, as opposed to their own claim of 211, or that it had actually ran out of charge. In the film our actual words were: “We calculated that on our track it would run out after 55 miles”… The figure of 55 miles came not from our heads, but from Tesla’s boffins in California. They looked at the data from that car and calculated that, driven hard on our track, it would have a range of 55 miles.

We never said that the Tesla was completely immobilized as a result of the motor overheating. We said the car had “reduced power”. This was true.

Tesla claims we were lying when we said the brakes were “broken”. They now say that all that had happened was that the fuse to the vacuum pump had failed, which meant that the brake just had to be pushed down much harder than usual. Well – to my mind, if the brakes are broken, then they’re broken, and if this happened to your car, you’d take it to the garage to get it fixed.
We'll keep you posted on how this legal dustup progresses, but it appears that Tesla may be biting off more than it can chew in this case.
Old 04-05-11 | 09:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

go top gear. a waste of legal expense for sure.
Old 04-05-11 | 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no, really not kidding you - it is by far the highest rated, most popular car show in the entire world.
Although I'm not taking sides in this dispute, it will be interesting to see if, after the suit, Top Gear remains such a popular show. If Tesla gets a big settlement, particularly if it is upheld on appeal, the show's reputation will have been badly damaged.
Old 04-05-11 | 09:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

If it's settled most likely it will not be interesting to see for the following reasons:

1. The $ amount of the settlement will not be disclosed
2. No admission of wrong-doing will likely be made by Top Gear as part of the settlement.
3. The dollar amount will be so insignificant, it will not be clearly identified in the published financials of Tesla (a public company). Keep in mind Tesla is a highly leveraged company with a history of huge losses, so it would take a lot to be considered significant.

The only parties that will surely benefit will be law firms.

Regardless, Top Gear might benefit from the exposure and become even more notorious/outspoken.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-05-11 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-05-11 | 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
If it's settled most likely it will not be interesting to see for the following reasons:

1. The $ amount of the settlement will not be disclosed
Depending on the location, that may not be possible. Once the trial is over, the judge can't keep the jury from talking about it. Of course, in some places (as here in VA) juries, in civil cases, render the verdict, but are still not told how much the plaintiff is suing for. I myself was the jury foreman on an auto-related civil-case some years ago, and I and my peers had to deal with that....not knowing what the suit-amount was.

The only parties that will surely benefit will be lawyers.
Depends on the firm, and the conditons of the representation.. Some legal-firms don't get paid (and can't charge their clients) if they lose the case.
Old 04-05-11 | 09:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depending on the location, that may not be possible. Once the trial is over, the judge can't keep the jury from talking about it. Of course, in some places (as here in VA) juries, in civil cases, render the verdict, but are still not told how much the plaintiff is suing for. I myself was the jury foreman on an auto-related civil-case some years ago, and I and my peers had to deal with that....not knowing what the suit-amount was.

Depends on the firm, and the conditons of the representation.. Some legal-firms don't get paid (and can't charge their clients) if they lose the case.
Not the case, the key word used by you originally (and me in my response) was settlement, we are not talking about a trial. And lawyers get paid even when conclusion is a settlement.

Has nothing to do with a jury verdict.
Old 04-05-11 | 10:07 AM
michaelisf
Driver

My friend works for tesla i will ask him aabout tesla i think he owns one?
Old 04-05-11 | 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not the case, the key word used by you originally (and me in my response) was settlement, we are not talking about a trial. And lawyers get paid even when conclusion is a settlement.

Has nothing to do with a jury verdict.
True. Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood your intention. Verdicts and settlements (particularly those setled out-of-court) are sometimes two separate processes.
Old 04-05-11 | 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by michaelisf
My friend works for tesla i will ask him aabout tesla i think he owns one?

He must be well-heeled. Even with a (possible) Tesla-employee discount, those cars aren't cheap.
Old 04-05-11 | 10:15 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

True. Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood your intention. Verdicts and settlements (particularly those setled out-of-court) are sometimes two separate processes.
No problem. And the word is not sometimes, it's always. I've spent plenty of time in court to know the difference (and not just sitting in jury box with that select group).
Old 04-05-11 | 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

If Tesla gets a big settlement, particularly if it is upheld on appeal, the show's reputation will have been badly damaged.
i don't think so. while it might make top gear more careful about what they do and say (which i think will be a shame), i think most people would be unhappy that tesla could make money off top gear and the show might become even more popular.

Quick Reply: Tesla suing Top Gear over bad reviews