Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus have put the street-rod concept into production?
Yes
2.94%
No
82.35%
Yes, but only on a special-order, trial basis.
14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: The Forgotten Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Poll: The Forgotten Lexus

Some years ago, around the time the slow-selling Plymouth Prowler street-rod was on the market, Lexus did a prototype street-rod of their own, with styling, inside and out, that was somewhat more akin to the typical street-rod of the 1950s than the outrageous Prowler and its little matching-color cart-trailer. (The Lexus never got much publicity, and a lot of people outside of Lexus-enthusiast groups were not even aware of it). Lexus, unlike the Prowler, even did theirs in an authentic 1950's Candy-Apple-Red, which was a popular color back then with customizers.

The Prowler had a Chrysler 3.5L V6 and an 5-speed automatic. The Lexus concept had a V8 and a traditional three-pedal manual, like most of the street rods in the 50s.

Chrysler-Plymouth dealers could, and did, get mark-ups that were as outrageous as the car itself (I remember seeing some, in the showroom, that listed in the high 30's, asking 60 and even 70K). But the car itself sold in very low numbers, despite the fact that dealers could make a killing on it and that people who did want them were obviously willing to pay for them. It was dropped after a several-year run, not to return.

So, given the fact that the Prowler, despite enormous hype, cult-car status from its few owners, and dealer-profits, was dropped after a few years, what do you guys think? Should Lexus have put its own street rod into production, at least on a trial basis? It's safe to say that the Lexus was more like the original 50's street-rods in styling, powertrain, image, and even paint-work than the Prowler was....and probably would have had better build-quality. But would it have been successful...or just a waste of company time and resources? I know we're all being Monday Morning Quarterbacks (or quarterbacks even 10 seasons later), but I think it's still an interesting question.

Lexus:

Prowler:

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-11 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 08:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

The fad for the rod-styled cars is over IMO and the car wouldn't be anything other than a one-off show queen that wouldn't generate a whole lot of interest.

I *think* that earlier car was done by Rod Millen or some Lexus-affiliated shop, not Lexus Corp.
Old 03-30-11, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
The fad for the rod-styled cars is over IMO and the car wouldn't be anything other than a one-off show queen that wouldn't generate a whole lot of interest.

I *think* that earlier car was done by Rod Millen or some Lexus-affiliated shop, not Lexus Corp.
Yes, it did have Millen in its description......I remember that, too (and good point, Dave...I forgot to mention that). But Lexus, of course, would have had the money and resources to finance its production, as with the old Ford relationships with Shelby, Saleen, Roush, and other customizer/tuners. But, of course, those aftermarket tuners have their own warranties.

I haven't officially voted yet, but I agree with you that today's market for 50's-style retro-rods is questionable. Today, they would probably, if at all, sell best in CA. But the interesting question, IMO, is should Lexus have done it 10-12 years ago if Lexus/Miller would have financed it....and the Prowler was getting huge mark-ups? That's where being a Monday-morning quarterback comes in.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-11 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 08:38 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

At first, I thought this thread was going to be about the old ES250...

That's quite interesting. I've never seen this car before. It would've been weird if they did put this concept into production. It certainly doesn't fit with with any of the other Lexus'.
Old 03-30-11, 08:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Yeah that car was built by Rod Millen and team for Lexus. The car became a retirement gift to former VP and GM of Lexus, Bryan Bergsteinsson.
Old 03-30-11, 08:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

There actually was another Lexus powered hot rod prior to this Rod Millen built one. It had a 1UZ-FE V8 and the interior dash cluster from either a 1st gen SC or LS400. I know I posted something about this many years ago.
Old 03-30-11, 08:48 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was a ford body, it was never meant for production, it was a one off car alone.

that being said, they(lexus) could do a roadster and i bet it would sell...a few. to the op who said rod styled car is a "fad", its not a ****in fad. its a permanent style infused in automotive history and will never fade away. when our great grandkids are zipping around in space ships like the jetsons, there will be rods. the main thing about rods, being unique, reason i said a few would sell and the reason the prowler failed.
Old 03-30-11, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
At first, I thought this thread was going to be about the old ES250...
The IS300 Sportwagon, I believe, sold in even fewer numbers than the original ES250 (which was more of a Camry look-alike than ay ES model since).

That's quite interesting. I've never seen this car before. It would've been weird if they did put this concept into production. It certainly doesn't fit with with any of the other Lexus'.
And the Prowler, for that matter, didn't fit with any other Plymouth or Chrysler-product at the time, either, though the also-retro PT Cruiser followed it into the marketplace a couple of years later, in 2000-2001.
Old 03-30-11, 08:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nine3es
that was a ford body, it was never meant for production, it was a one off car alone.
And it looked much more like an authentic 50's rod than the outrageous, shark-nosed Prowler.

to the op who said rod styled car is a "fad", its not a ****in fad. its a permanent style infused in automotive history and will never fade away.
I was the op for the thread, but I didn't make that statement. That statement was made in post #2....and was the well-respected opinion of our CL Administrator.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-11 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 09:33 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The IS300 Sportwagon, I believe, sold in even fewer numbers than the original ES250 (which was more of a Camry look-alike than ay ES model since).
I forgot about the Sportwagon. Those are pretty rare. I'm sure the ES250 sold more since there were only Lexus' available at the time when it came out. I've only seen three ES250's in my life though.
Old 03-30-11, 09:42 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

+1
I voted NO, classic or not that styling is disgusting and is not appealing to me.
Old 03-30-11, 10:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing significant to gain for Lexus by doing it.
Old 03-31-11, 02:17 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure the ES250 sold more since there were
only Lexus' available at the time when it came out

The ES250 and the original big dawg LS400 were the 2 cars which launched the ENTIRE Lexus lineup. They were both released at the same time b/c Lexus needed a car which was more closer in price point to being obtainable to many people. The LS 400, at the time, was better than $40K and that money was ALOT back then.
Old 03-31-11, 02:21 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i chose no.
Old 03-31-11, 04:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

simply not lexus

Quick Reply: Poll: The Forgotten Lexus