Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Jeep planning a Hemi V8 Wrangler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 09:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Is Jeep planning a Hemi V8 Wrangler?

Is Jeep planning a Hemi V8 Wrangler?

American Expedition Vehicles, a Jeep aftermarket conversion firm from Montana, recently stuffed a Chrysler 392 Hemi between the fenders of a Wrangler for Jeep CEO Michael Manley. This is the same 392 Hemi that powers the 470-horsepower Dodge Challenger SRT8 392.

According to sources close to Chrysler, the 392-powered Jeep wasn't just built on a lark. Manley's Wrangler is apparently a mule for "executive evaluation." That's Chrysler speak for "they might build it." Manley's vehicle channels its 470 hp through a six-speed manual and will reportedly slide its back end in third gear with liberal application of the throttle. All we can say is this: Build it. Right now.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/30/i...i-v8-wrangler/
Old 03-30-11, 10:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't see a case for an SRT-8 Wrangler. First of all, Jeep already had the last-generation SRT-8 Grand-Cherokee, and I understand a new SRT JGC is coming as well. It didn't sell in large numbers like most JGC models do, and also, unlike them, had severe towing and off-road restrictions. Who wants a Jeep, even with the SRT's power, that can't act like a Jeep? And the SRT JGC, of course, though more agile than a standard JGC, still doesn't handle as well as other, lower-stance SRT Chrysler products like the 300, Charger, Challenger, etc.....

I see more or less the same comparisions for the Wrangler, especially if Jeep restricts its towing or off-road capabilities with an SRT Hemi. People buy Wranglers to go off-roading and have fun, not to do smoky-burnouts on dry pavement with Mustangs and Camaros (many Wrangler owners, unlike most other SUV owners these days, do go off-road).
Old 03-30-11, 10:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a variety of reasons I don't expect it to go into production.
Old 03-30-11, 10:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
For a variety of reasons I don't expect it to go into production.
I don't know exactly how the new Chrysler/Jeep Chain-of-Command structure is set up, but my at least half-educated guess on this matter is that Fiat's CEO Sergio Marchionne would have to sign off on it, and I wouldn't bet the monthly rent on that happening.
Old 03-31-11, 05:15 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it goes into production i will test drive one.
Old 03-31-11, 10:05 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I understand a new SRT JGC is coming as well. It didn't sell in large numbers like most JGC models do, and also, unlike them, had severe towing and off-road restrictions. Who wants a Jeep, even with the SRT's power, that can't act like a Jeep? And the SRT JGC, of course, though more agile than a standard JGC, still doesn't handle as well as other, lower-stance SRT Chrysler products like the 300, Charger, Challenger, etc....
To answer your questions the SRT8 JGC, of course it had towing issues, the pipes came out in the center where a normal tow hitch would be, and with the low profile tires combined with a lower body was not meant for offroading, most if not all SRT8 owners are really into the performance aspect of the vehicle, a quick youtube search pulls many videos of them at the track, it competes with other high end SUV, that are really nothing more then modern day wagons

I doubt an SRT8 Wrangler is planned at Chrysler, a low volume regular Hemi might be more realistic, I have had 2 friends with lifted Wranglers that had LS1 swaps
Old 03-31-11, 10:22 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lamar411
If it goes into production i will test drive one.
Same here but thats about it LOL!
Old 03-31-11, 10:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
To answer your questions the SRT8 JGC, of course it had towing issues, the pipes came out in the center where a normal tow hitch would be, and with the low profile tires combined with a lower body was not meant for offroading, most if not all SRT8 owners are really into the performance aspect of the vehicle, a quick youtube search pulls many videos of them at the track, it competes with other high end SUV, that are really nothing more then modern day wagons
I didn't really have questions per se, and I'm familiar with why high-performance trucks and SUVs often have towing/off-road restrictions. We saw the same restrictions, some time ago, with the Chevy/GMC Typhoon and Syclone, Ford Lightning, and Dodge Ram Viper.

Another reason for restrictions, although perhaps less-well-understood, is the torque-curve for these engines. Typical truck-use engines meant for towing and carrying heavy loads, especially truck-diesels, generally have max-torque at lower RPMs to prevent the engine lugging while accelerating at lower speeds. Conversely, high-performance trucks and SUVs often have the HP/torque peaks at higher RPMs, where the torque curve is not as appropriate for towing.

I doubt an SRT8 Wrangler is planned at Chrysler, a low volume regular Hemi might be more realistic, I have had 2 friends with lifted Wranglers that had LS1 swaps
I agree that the regular 5.7L Hemi would make more sense than the 6.2L.......but I'm not sure there is a need to go this route in the first place.

And, though it may not be a deal-breaker for a potential Wrangler Hemi owner, can you just imagine what the gas mileage would be on an engine that size crawling around off-road with a 4WD-Low-Range transfer-case and first-gear? It would likely be as bad, if not worse, than the largest Suburbans and Expedition XLs. Very soon, trucks and SUVs are going to stop getting an easy-ride from the EPA.....they are going to have much-stricter mileage/emission standards, like regular cars do.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-11 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 01:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that the regular 5.7L Hemi would make more sense than the 6.2L.......but I'm not sure there is a need to go this route in the.
6.4L*

10 char
Old 03-31-11, 05:07 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

I can say this for a fact since I work for a Chrysler dealer & Have reviewed the site which only a Chrysler employee with access can register/log onto.

Chrysler will be building these Wranglers but Special order only, as of like how the Long Wheel Base 300 was a special only order vehicle. not many people know about them so of course not many will purchase them or be made.

the wrangler is already a chugger when it comes to gas, i could only imagine how much this special model will use.

but its not the SRT version, it is the regular Hemi engine.