Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car for College

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 04:39 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Hmm, i may just keep the es300 and subject it to the wear and tear of college haha. I want a car mainly for driving back and forth from Cleveland to Buffalo. I just need some input from people in Cleveland and i want to find a job there to, something with cars. More along the lines of lot-boy or cleaning and not fixing, i don't know how ha
Old 03-31-11, 04:58 PM
ekc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a miata and it's a fun car to drive. If you buy something a little older, it's not going to lose much value. But as others have pointed out, the main concerns are added insurance costs and practicality. I understand you don't want to become free taxi, but driving back and forth between Cleveland and Buffalo in a Miata sounds pretty brutal.

Any plans to mod the Miata if you get one?
Old 03-31-11, 05:04 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^The rough ride i don't mind at all, but i've definitely ridden worse. I've also driven a miata in snow and while it wasn't a 4x4, it really wasn't as bad as i expected it to be, If i do get it im just thinking installing hid's in the pop ups, which ive heard is a *****, roll bar, if i don't find one with one, and thats about it with the exception of tints and hardwired radar. I'd keep it real cheap
Old 03-31-11, 05:21 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Get a bike.
Old 03-31-11, 05:23 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Miatas are great cars bro, and for the reasons you stated i say got for it, i loved mine when i owned one, who knows maybe youll fall in love with her and keep her for life

Last edited by Joey-E; 03-31-11 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-31-11, 05:26 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Get a bike.
hahaha c'mon,,,def need car bring girls back to the dorm,,
Old 03-31-11, 05:36 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Why not just drive the ES300 until you have enough cash to buy a better or newer one? NC MX-5 or RSX Type S are nice sports cars but cost a bit more. I say you could wait until sophomore or junior year to buy a newer car. Patience is the key word.
Old 03-31-11, 05:45 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Hmm, i may just keep the es300 and subject it to the wear and tear of college haha. I want a car mainly for driving back and forth from Cleveland to Buffalo. I just need some input from people in Cleveland and i want to find a job there to, something with cars. More along the lines of lot-boy or cleaning and not fixing, i don't know how ha
I def. think that the ES would be more comfortable for those drives. Keep in mind that gas is rising in price. Gas was $4.00 a gallon when I was i school. And I had a lot of people who wanted rides home. Often times I spent little on gas for those trips.
Old 03-31-11, 05:51 PM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I second the bike idea or a moped. Find a job on campus or close by and all of that money you save from buying gas, insurance, repairs, safety checks, etc........you can buy a better car after you done w/ school.

Other thoughts:

No buses or trains from Cleveland to Buffalo?
(Think of all the sleep you'll be missing)

When you need a car, borrow your roomates
(Don't tell him that you wouldn't let him yours if you had one)

I would love to have a girl on my bike instead of in a small car, a Miata is too small to have fun in anyway.

Lesser chance of getting a DUI after those wild parties.

And if you're gonna be on a prepaid meal plan........the less you drive the less food you're gonna be buying. Take my advice and stay close to the food!!!
Old 03-31-11, 06:10 PM
Meunvmost
Rookie

moped... like a ruckus with a GY6 swap... i rock that daily to work.. saves me TONS of money on gas, 99 miles per gallon..

the guy i bout another ruck w/ a gy6 swap (for the girl) road it around San Luis Obispo for college for 2 years..

pretty damn nice for cali... i duno how the weather is out there.. but if its sunny scoot or BIKE. imo
Old 03-31-11, 06:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I have no issue with getting around campus, ill walk. Its just for small errands and driving into cleveland, and driving back to Buffalo. The weather also sucks so a scooter would only work a few months of the year. Also, trains and buses, just not for me took them from Buffalo to Detroit, it was like i would rather walk....trains eh not that bad but rather drive. Also i wouldnt ask to use my room mates car cause if anyone asked to borrow mine i would say no, and i will continue to say no I only let one of my friends drive my car and when she does i have to be in the car.
Old 03-31-11, 06:45 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Get a used Vibe AWD (thinking cap, Buffalo to Cleveland)

My son was at Binghamton and used it to go to Boston, NY and to Chicago.

You can probably find a good used one.

Basically a Matrix with a lower price tag and a 110 AC outlet for mixing drinks.

After he graduated, I use it more than the IS 350 because I can park it anywhere and not worry.
Old 03-31-11, 06:48 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I say keep the ES, comfy ride and you can say you have a lexus.
Old 03-31-11, 07:06 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife used to own a gen1 Miata (92). It was a fun car and could hold plenty of soft luggage for a weekend. (Forget anything long or bulky.) It DEFINITELY needs good winter tires and weight in the back for winter use. With that, it did great. But the convertible top in the winter was lousy and we bought a hardtop. I would NOT recommend it for college use because you simply will need more room to transport stuff back and forth.

If you're really set on a two seater, consider a small pickup. One of my sons had an S-10 and used it through most of his hitch in the Marines to drive between Michigan and North Carolina when on leave. Given the snow belt you'll be driving in, I'd get a 4wd Tacoma. However, mileage won't be great.

Another car to consider, if you want a 2-seater with a manual and good mileage is a 93-97 Honda Del Sol. It only looks sporty, but has FWD and loads of trunk space. It also has a targa hardtop that stores on a rack below the trunk lid (without taking up much trunk space).

If you have a good car in your ES, I'd just keep and drive that. Also, remember that in midwest states like Ohio, cars like the Miata and Del Sol are considered to be chick cars.
Old 03-31-11, 07:20 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^The whole chick car thing is here to, or "a gay car" sorry if thats not politically correct. I may just bring the es even though i didn't want to subject it to college ha. I would also like feedback from people in or around the JCU/Cleveland area. Maybe i should go to clubhous for that ha

Quick Reply: Car for College