Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car for College

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11 | 08:31 PM
ekc
Pole Position

Have you tried the NELOC forum section? The folks there may be able to help you.

And yeah, you pretty much can't touch the stock headlamps on the NA miata. The unit is sealed. But there are aftermarket options for projectors or something that can accomodate HIDs.
Old 03-31-11 | 09:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In an average winter (and I'm assuming you'll be spending much of the winter there)Cleveland gets tons of snow off the adjacent Lake Erie. Many people in northeastern OH (in fact, a number of my relatives live there) own and drive AWD vehicles and both car-based and truck-based SUVs. A Miata, from November to March, for many reasons (RWD, light weight, low-ground clearance, etc...) just won't cut it there. And it will also suffer the effects of a lot of road salt, winter-damaged roads, and numerous deep potholes that can damage the wheels and suspension.
Old 04-01-11 | 12:24 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^ I am all to familiar with the winter conditions because of Buffalo haha. I think my main thing was to find a small sporty, fun to drive car that was cheap and rwd. Things like bmw coupes were in mind, but i wanted reliable to. I think i will just bring the es300 but i will see how things go.
Old 04-01-11 | 12:35 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

I see this international girl rolling around in a new Porsche Cayenne at UCD. Pretty crazy.....
Old 04-01-11 | 07:38 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
I see this international girl rolling around in a new Porsche Cayenne at UCD. Pretty crazy.....
It's insanely crazy. Here at UMich campus there are several Cayennes, Q5s, at least 5 or 6 Range Rovers, very many RXs, two Quattroportes, three M3s. Just the other day I saw a CLK63 Black Series and last year there was a Gran Turismo here.
Old 04-01-11 | 09:20 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^All international students. I live near the state university here and a lot of the kids who go there are from different countries, they come here, but a really nice car, then sell them off when they leave for real cheap. Friend got a 00 infinti q45 touring with 78k miles for $5600
Old 04-02-11 | 09:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX_330
It's insanely crazy. Here at UMich campus there are several Cayennes, Q5s, at least 5 or 6 Range Rovers, very many RXs, two Quattroportes, three M3s. Just the other day I saw a CLK63 Black Series and last year there was a Gran Turismo here.
That also shows that attitudes in MI seem to be changing. The younger, college-age people (and their older professors) aren't addicted to American-nameplate vehicles like their parents and grandparents were. This reflects the fact that the auto buisness, today, is truly global, foreign-nameplate vehicles are often built here in the U.S., and that MI and OH are not the center of the industry anymore.

This assumes, of course, that the enrollment at UMich is mostly young people from the state and not from other parts of the country, but it is like that at many state universities.

At one time, in MI, if you drove anything that didn't have an American-nameplate, regardless of where it was built, UAW goons or workers would make sure that it ended up with slashed tires or broken windows. That was the kind of ignorance that prevailed.
Old 04-02-11 | 09:37 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

yeah quite a number of RXs. But insanely crazy? hardly if we can count how many of these cars we see lol Compared to campuses in CA, like UCLA or Berkeley, i'm sure the UM campus seems third world lol
Old 04-02-11 | 10:39 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Have you been to USC campus?
Old 04-02-11 | 01:09 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by STIG
Have you been to USC campus?
I have, but you have to remember this is in Michigan, 40 minutes from Detroit. LOL

When it comes to those kinds of cars I'd say 1/3 of them are in state plates, and 2/3 are out of state. So that's where the money is coming from.

UMich campus is pretty relatively small so there aren't many of these nice cars, but you always see the same ones over and over again.
Old 04-03-11 | 08:59 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

U was just going over some numbers, and i am not sure if i will even bring a car with me freshman year. Its a real shame because i don't think i will be able to go that long without a car/driving. It'll be weird from going to driving 600 miles a week to not driving at all ha.
Old 04-03-11 | 09:47 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

College was the best 4 years of my life

Unfortunately for my car it wasn't the same My 98 prelude got broken into, keyed up REALLY bad and almost stolen. The car took a beating during my 4 years, and looking at my friends cars, it was the same way for them too. College areas are always prone to vandalism and thefts =/

Whatever car you take to college, just know it won't look the same after 4 years of being near a campus! lol
Old 04-04-11 | 07:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

It was the same at Penn State.

As I finish my graduate studies, I am strongly anticipating my first real job and earning a salary in which I can afford my own vehicle. I want to say that I earned it myself. I sacrificed. I think that the satisfaction is greater. My first car won't be a Lexus, but it will be just as valuable to me.
Old 04-04-11 | 10:01 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
CL Folding 10,000

Smile

That's insane! My college's parking lot looks like a junkyard. I have a few friends with nice cars, but nothing on that level.

The high school kids in the area have much nicer cars though. I had a friend in high school who had eight or nine nice cars by the time he was 18.
Old 04-05-11 | 08:56 PM
LexFather

You will want a van for college

Quick Reply: Car for College