Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car for College

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 02:34 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question Car for College

I plan on attending college in the fall next year in Cleveland at JCUand i am trying to figure if bring a car with me. I plan on getting a miata for numerous reasons: Small car means not driving around lots of people; manual transmission means no to letting people use my car: fairly reliable and will be used to drive back and forth to Buffalo once a month. My question is, am i being a bit optimistic? A lot of people say bringing a car to college is a stupid idea, but i mean it's all about self control right? I also hope to get a job in Cleveland (something car related hopefully). Any input would be great. Car wise, or John Carroll/ Cleveland information in general. Thanks
Old 03-31-11, 02:53 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i see a lot of scions corollas and civics rollin around UCSD.. lol i know, its a very common car
Old 03-31-11, 02:57 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I have an es300 right now, i am trying to get into only a 2 seater with a manual. I know this seems stupid, but all the reasons i have mentioned above. Also i don't worry about practicality as i won't use it much and when i'm done with it, i am fairly sure i can sell it for about the same price i will pay for it
Old 03-31-11, 03:00 PM
jchong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S2000. It's like a miata...but better.
Old 03-31-11, 03:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

To expensive, trying to keep it round 5 grand or less that way i can pay it cash upfront and not worry bout it. I'd buy it either here in Buffalo or Cleveland most likely
Old 03-31-11, 03:06 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an altima in college and loved it. Reliable, decent mpg, great car...
Old 03-31-11, 03:10 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I have an es300 right now, i am trying to get into only a 2 seater with a manual. I know this seems stupid, but all the reasons i have mentioned above. Also i don't worry about practicality as i won't use it much and when i'm done with it, i am fairly sure i can sell it for about the same price i will pay for it
The Miata will kill you on the drives from Buffalo to Cleveland. I'd keep the ES300 and just drive it. I have a Jaguar X-Type and I make the trip from U-M in Ann Arbor to home in Grand Rapids (150 miles roundtrip) and even in that it gets a little tiring because of the sport suspension. And this is in a Jag, I can't even imagine making the Cleveland to Buffalo drive in a Miata.

It's your car, nobody else can tell you how to use it. If you don't want people using your car, then don't let them. It's really not that hard.

Also what makes you think you'll be able to sell it for as much as you paid for it?
Old 03-31-11, 03:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I've driven the miata numerous times, few times for extended periods and wasn't bothered that much, but i guess i will have to see. Also regarding price, especially here in Buffalo. Convertibles tend to hold their values quite well because many tend to buy them in the spring for inflated prices and either keep them or sell them for cheap in the winter due to lack of storage. I appreciate all the feedback, please keep it coming
Old 03-31-11, 03:18 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I've driven the miata numerous times, few times for extended periods and wasn't bothered that much, but i guess i will have to see. Also regarding price, especially here in Buffalo. Convertibles tend to hold their values quite well because many tend to buy them in the spring for inflated prices and either keep them or sell them for cheap in the winter due to lack of storage. I appreciate all the feedback, please keep it coming
Also keep in mind that when you do sell it, you'll be a college kid trying to sell a Miata. For prospective buyers that's not going to leave a good impression with this kind of car. Many will assume that it was driven very hard and abused. This is just a possibility.

With persistence and good advertising you might be able to pull off that kind of sale.
Old 03-31-11, 03:25 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^Very good point but hopefully i keep a track record. I am a high school kid now and i have had numerous offers of people wanting to buy my es300, even when it wasn't for sale. They varied from a senior citizen i was talking to while getting an oil change to a young kid that worked at a coffee shop i frequent
Old 03-31-11, 04:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Insurance for a two-seater convertible will surely be expensive.
Old 03-31-11, 04:04 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^I've kept that in mind haha, but i do have the proper finances to insure it even though i've been very cautious with my budget for the actual car
Old 03-31-11, 04:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

anything with 4 wheels, 4 cylinders, and comes from Japan should hold you for the 4 years even being used and older. I would not recommend a car for college if you live on campus. Its just a hassle, plus you should be studying not driving around

Congrats and have fun. It will be the best years of your life
Old 03-31-11, 04:19 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Miata is probably the last car I would choose. Your logic with the manual transmission is great. Unless youre like me who took long road trips and was the only one who could drive the car. I think what you really want is a good, late 90s, Subaru Legacy Outback. Trust me, you're going to want the room.
Old 03-31-11, 04:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Why would you want a convertible in the winter in ohio, Get a coupe or sedan . Be practical.

Quick Reply: Car for College