Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Video: Geeky Tim Allen as Merkur pitchman

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 01:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Video: Geeky Tim Allen as Merkur pitchman

Video: Geeky Tim Allen as Merkur pitchman

Actor and comedian Tim Allen, the former Home Improvement star and the man behind Toy Story's Buzz Lightyear, has seen steady voiceover work of late as the pitchman for Chevrolet (and Campbell's Soup, and Michigan tourism). Now, all the recent activity has gotten Allen plenty of attention of late, but he's an old hand when it comes to this stuff.

If you turn the clock back to 1988 you can watch Allen, sporting glasses and a rail-thin physique, try to sell us on the Merkur Scorpio (then dubbed Road and Track's best sedan under $27,500). German engineering at your Lincoln/Mercury dealer... what could possibly go wrong? Hit the jump to watch the 60-second spot. Just remember that operators are no longer standing by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDcMg...layer_embedded

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/02/v...rkur-pitchman/
Old 04-02-11, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

what could possibly go wrong?
Everything.

Both Merkurs (XR4Ti and Scorpio) were hugely unsuccessful in the American market.
Old 04-02-11, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Using celebrities to sell cars, BTW, is a long-used tactic. Paul Hogan tried to sell the Outback (and, with me, succeded) Ricardo Montalban (for those of you old enough to remember it) pitched the late 70s Chrysler Corboba's "Corinthian" leather seats. Frank Sinatra pitched the 1981 Chrysler Imperial a couple of years later. Fiat, back in the 70s and 80s, played up the fact that Enzo Ferrari, who owned the famous exotic-car company, drove a small Fiat 128 econobox as his personal car. And "Lying" Joe Isuzu gave new meaning to the salesman's double-talk.
Old 04-02-11, 07:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

One that was hard to believe was Tiger Woods selling Buicks.

BTW, I bought a Merkur XR4Ti when they first were available in the U.S. Fun and interesting for a while but when the newness wore off and reliabilty issues surfaced, not so much. I didn't have any problems with mine but a lot of owners did.

I lost my shirt when I got rid of it.
Old 04-02-11, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Thanks, LexBob ....I had forgotten that one. Shouldnt' have, though......it was very recent. What also was associated with him, as well, was the Escalade he wrecked during his recent marriage-troubles....though he didn't actively pitch them.

I wonder what he thinks of the new LaCrosse?

BTW, I bought a Merkur XR4Ti when they first were available in the U.S. Fun and interesting for a while but when the newness wore off and reliabilty issues surfaced, not so much. I didn't have any problems with mine but a lot of owners did.

Sorry you lost so much. Depreciation on those cars was like an Enron portfolio.
Old 04-02-11, 09:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2

Lol, I remember Tiger and Buick discussions here, GM dropping him right before his wife did.

On the topic of depreciation, there was a period of time when Ford offered some form of buyer protection for excess depreciation (BMW benchmark), to help sell these cars.

Yes, I remember the Merkur well, what a disaster in every automotive business sense.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-02-11 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-03-11, 02:03 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What also was associated with him, as well, was the Escalade he wrecked during his recent marriage-troubles
Tiger was the pitchman and spokesperson the the 2008 Buick Enclave although I could not find that commercial, I do remember that there was one out. He also pitched a commercial for the Olympic edition, Buick Regal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXSQy...eature=related