Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All new F10 M5 concept revealed! Photos from unveil event.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 11:12 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That white M5 looks great, but I echo the comments that this has to be one of the most subtle M cars to ever be made.
Old 04-04-11, 11:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's kind of conservative in appearance, which is one of the main reasons I like it.
Old 04-04-11, 11:25 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the white chop is just m3 parts transplanted.

do you really want that?
or do you want something unique to the m5 ?

it's hard to accept change.
while the rear apron looks a little tacked on, the rest is conforming or progressive.

side view is very minimalistic.
Attached Thumbnails All new F10 M5 concept revealed!  Photos from unveil event.-_kpk9647.jpg  

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-04-11 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-04-11, 11:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
The white one is just a photoshop though. Iirc, that was done by one of the talented guys over on bimmerpost. I'm guessing you could almost always find a rendering that looks better than the real life versions.
i never said it's real. i just said that looks better
Old 04-04-11, 12:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

looks like any other 5 with skirts and black wheels.
Old 04-04-11, 12:19 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like the 550 with sport package...if anything, I will go for the engine, but the looks are eh at best.
Old 04-04-11, 12:52 PM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

not a big fan...BMW dropped the ball with this one imho.. here they had the chance to really make a statement and stand out and they dont!! I hope the car performs to offset the mediocre looks...Hopefully it will look better in person!!
Old 04-04-11, 01:23 PM
emad2007
Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...nfo-auto_shows
Old 04-04-11, 02:01 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Why are people treating this car as if it is a design disappointment?

Most people out there can't even tell the difference between a standard 5er and M5 - and to a high degree M5 drivers want this conservative styling appearance since the performance is what really matters. The word 'sleeper' describes these cars pretty accurately. They look like standard 5ers, E classes or A6s, yet they have the performance to leave behind many dedicated sports cars.

Based on how previous M5s have looked, THIS WAS TO BE EXPECTED. The M5 has always been a standard 5er with a sportier, yet conservative, body kit in terms of styling.

I don't see what the big deal is.
Old 04-04-11, 03:14 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the rear lip spoiler is too small.

intentionally understated.

direct comparison of stock vs M , and one last generation -
Attached Thumbnails All new F10 M5 concept revealed!  Photos from unveil event.-5b.jpg   All new F10 M5 concept revealed!  Photos from unveil event.-5c.jpg   All new F10 M5 concept revealed!  Photos from unveil event.-5a.jpg  
Old 04-04-11, 03:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

that bit around exhaust tips looks like it came from japanese tuner :-)
Old 04-04-11, 07:08 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it looks awesome! Very clean design with the performance to back it up (I've read reports of 580+hp!!). I think they did a great job on it, aggressive without overdoing it. Hope it sounds as good as the V10 E60 M5 did.
Old 04-05-11, 08:29 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Default Technical information

BMW's M division has gone back to the drawing board with the M5, giving the fifth generation of the iconic four-door a twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 engine—the first time Munich's class-defining performance sedan has gone without a naturally aspirated powerplant since its introduction in 1984.

Further changes see it adopt a dual-clutch gearbox as part of a complete driveline rethink that resigns the old model's sequential manual transmission to the history books.

Revealed here officially for the first time, the new M5 is planned to make its world debut in concept-car guise at the Shanghai motor show later this month.

A virtually unchanged production version, undergoing the final phase of a 24-month test and development program in the hands of BMW M division engineers, is planned for the Frankfurt motor show in September prior to the start of North American sales in 2012.

With 560 hp and a thumping 510 lb-ft of torque, the engine serves up a noticeable 60 hp and 127 lb-ft more than the outgoing model's more high-strung 5.0-liter V10. It's also up by 160 hp and 60 lb-ft on the 550i, which uses BMW's standard turbocharged 4.4-liter V8.

No official performance claims have been made yet, but M division engineers involved in the new car's development have revealed to AutoWeek that acceleration has been improved by up to two-tenths of a second. This points to a 0-to-62-mph time of about 4.5 seconds--equaling the straight-line performance of its main sedan rival, the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG.

Top speed, like all M cars, will be limited to 155 mph, although the taller individual gearing and longer final drive ratio made possible by the significant increase in torque should see the new car's theoretical top speed rise to more than 180 mph.

BMW also claims the mill provides a 25 percent improvement in fuel economy over the outgoing V10 thanks to the inclusion of features such as brake-energy recuperation, an alternator that disengages under acceleration and an automatic stop/start function--all part of the German car maker's EfficientDynamics initiative.

As well as seeing service in the M5, the new engine is also set to appear in the second-generation M6 coupe and convertible, both set to reach the U.S. market by the end of 2012. BMW officials also hint that the potent V8 is earmarked for a range-topping version of the four-door GranCoupe, which is being groomed as Munich's answer to the recently introduced Mercedes CLS63 AMG.

The engine channels drive to the rear wheels through a Getrag-engineered seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox with steering-wheel-mounted shift paddles, offered as an option on the M3. Supporting both full manual and automatic modes, it promises to provide much smoother operation and improved usability over the rapid but sometimes clunky sequential seven-speed gearbox it replaces.

The fresh M5's underpinnings are loosely based on those of the latest 5-series, but as with all of its predecessors through the years, the individual components are mostly unique. The model adopts a double-wishbone suspension at the front in place of the MacPherson-strut setup that has been a mainstay of the M5 for the past 25 years. The rear retains an independent multilink arrangement but now carries a greater number of aluminum parts. Variable damping control provides the choice of three different levels of suspension stiffness. Yet to be confirmed is a switch to an electronic steering system--another first for the BMW's performance sedan.

The styling changes are relatively slight. But the discreet visual modifications, developed in the German carmaker's new state-of-the-art wind tunnel in the heart of Munich, help give the M5 a traditionally more purposeful appearance than its standard sibling. Included on the concept bound for Shanghai is a deeper front bumper housing a trio of air ducts and modified front fender panels.

At the rear, there is a subtle lip spoiler attached to the trailing edge of the trunk to provide increased levels of high-speed downforce and a reprofiled bumper with a fully functioning central-diffuser element and fluted sections to the sides, each housing a pair of round chromed tailpipes. It's all rounded off with a set of 20-inch alloy wheels.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...#ixzz1If9wBZL6
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110409967
Old 04-05-11, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i wonder what the redline is going to be, maybe similar to that in the x5m
Old 04-05-11, 11:38 AM
LexFather

I am sure it will be an incredible performer and seller and I surely wouldn't turn one down in bed. That said this seems unimaginative and more like a M7 we always asked for. The specialness of the M5 used to be the engine and this engine maybe powerful but lost a huge "M" point, a special engine. Its in two SUVs for crying out loud. This will also likely weight 4500lbs plus.

The 1M has a flip flopped name and the same engine in the 135 with chip.

What happened to "M"? It seems its MASS an MARKETING now

If I wanted a F/I engine well AMG is there for that. I can't help but think they are chasing AMGs power figures and not staying true to their roots.

The V-10 E60 looks like genius now.

And they need to lose the black wheels.

When I first heard of the Panamera years ago the first car I said that is in trouble is the M5. While pricier I find it more special.

Quick Reply: All new F10 M5 concept revealed! Photos from unveil event.