Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

saw a mazda 3 hatch today and thought it was a CT 200h

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 12:25 PM
LexFather

Old 04-05-11, 12:33 PM
needis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the $$, the mazda's fit and finish is very nice.
Old 04-05-11, 01:12 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like the rear half side profile of the mazda better, with the rear quarter glass.

the CT rear passenger glass looks too small.
Old 04-05-11, 01:19 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I have driven Mazda for over 11 years now and the fit, finish and reliability are second to none. Top that off with fun to drive and excellent cabin appointments, plus it is always a step ahead in terms of standard accessories than Honda/Toyota. Too bad the market never appreciated the excellent value proposition.
Old 04-05-11, 01:24 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you think of the Smiley-clown face on the grille? We had a recent thread here, signifying that Mazda may go with different styling in the next-generation.
I think the smiley clown face actually works on the Mazdaspeed model, for some reason:

It looks a bit ridiculous on the standard model though. But from the rear, the 3 is FAR more cohesive than the CT for sure.
Old 04-05-11, 01:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
I have driven Mazda for over 11 years now and the fit, finish and reliability are second to none. Top that off with fun to drive and excellent cabin appointments, plus it is always a step ahead in terms of standard accessories than Honda/Toyota. Too bad the market never appreciated the excellent value proposition.
We have a 2011 Mazda3 and it's a great little car overall. I agree with all of your observations.

The smiley face was almost a deal breaker for me, but it wasn't such a big deal to my wife and she convinced to to buy it. In IL a front license plate is required, so that with a thin rimmed chrome license plate frame and the fog lights help to soften "the face" a little bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if they revise the front end a bit in the near future..
Old 04-05-11, 01:30 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I wouldn't be surprised if they revise the front end a bit in the near future..
Old 04-05-11, 01:32 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

This is my favorite hatchback yet....2009 mazda3 in red
Attached Thumbnails saw a mazda 3 hatch today and thought it was a CT 200h-ogdld.jpg  
Old 04-05-11, 01:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

This is my favorite hatchback yet....2009 mazda3 in red
Good eye!!
Old 04-05-11, 03:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

while i definitely like mazdas i think the smiley face front was a bomb. also, while the quality is definitely strong i find the interior materials to be rather cheap, although they work well. tons of HARD plastic.

but not knockin' them overall - great vehicles!
Old 04-05-11, 07:44 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I see you guys noticed it, too. One of the things I wrote up in my recent CT review was its styling-similarity to the Mazda3 hatchback. While I don't have the exact dimensions of each car in front of me, though, the CT seemed even smaller physically, especially with its teeny rear-window and its (roughly) 6-inch rear-wiper-arm.
The CT is slightly smaller. I love my Mazda3, & I like idea of the CT, so I used a few online comparison programs. Most of the dimensions of the CT were slightly smaller than the 3, which surprised me a bit. The CT is a nice car, but even if I were looking to spend that kind of money, I still see the 3 as a better value. If they dropped the hybrid & offered a stick at a lower price, I'd be in, but I understand that's not Lexus's thing.
Old 04-05-11, 08:25 PM
LexFather

Yes outside the smiley face and Lexus Altezzas the car is quite good. I enjoyed my drive in a manual at Skip Barber.

Still the best small compact to me.

Old 04-06-11, 03:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlewbell
The CT is slightly smaller. I love my Mazda3, & I like idea of the CT, so I used a few online comparison programs. Most of the dimensions of the CT were slightly smaller than the 3, which surprised me a bit. The CT is a nice car, but even if I were looking to spend that kind of money, I still see the 3 as a better value. If they dropped the hybrid & offered a stick at a lower price, I'd be in, but I understand that's not Lexus's thing.
if you want to compare it like that, Matrix is much better value than 3 and has more space too.
Old 04-06-11, 11:03 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

My brother-in-law has a 2010 Mazda 3 s hatchback, what a great car to drive and sit in. Nice cabin. I even like its seat more than the leather seats. He got it for $22k out the door.
Old 04-06-11, 12:10 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

3 hatch handles better is faster, cheaper, adequate interior, better ride comfort and is a true commuter compared to the CT. No bias

Quick Reply: saw a mazda 3 hatch today and thought it was a CT 200h