Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

saw a mazda 3 hatch today and thought it was a CT 200h

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 12:22 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
if you want to compare it like that, Matrix is much better value than 3 and has more space too.
Blasphemous!!!

There are actually a lot of deficiencies in the Matrix: It is too tall, if you put kids in the back seat they can't see out of the windows, the driving position is VERY awkward, you are nickeled and dimed to death on extras, the interior is really cheap, it looks weird...especially the butt end, the engine is too noisy and under-performs, the power-band is too high, steering provides little feedback, bad over-steer, too much body roll even in gradual corners, transmission was not designed for the vehicle (stolen from the Celica [XRS model]) and is an obviously poor fit, and lastly...only old people drive this car. I swear the median age for the buyers of this car is around 45 (a common problem for Toyota).

For the money, you get a much better, more advanced, more exciting vehicle when you get the Mazda3. The Matrix just feels like a cheap car compared to the Mazda3s, and for similarly equipped models you pay LESS for a better Mazda3s than you would for a Matrix XRS.

Plus I just looked at consumer reports and they aren't really recommending the Matrix because the reliability has not been that great. But the Mazda3 shares the 6's underpinnings and the 6 was considered to be very reliable.

You want a hatch and want to save 15k buy a Mazda 3 hatch. CT just can't compare.
Old 04-06-11, 12:28 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chikoo
This is my favorite hatchback yet....2009 mazda3 in red
Thats a Speed3 my other baby's mama ^^
Old 04-06-11, 12:42 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the rear of the 2010 mazdaspeed is also good.. which is what matters because passengers/drivers from other cars will be staring at that for extended times. The front is only momentary when you pass one going the other way...

Old 04-06-11, 12:54 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

the rear of the 2010 mazdaspeed is also good.. which is what matters because passengers/drivers from other cars will be staring at that for extended times. The front is only momentary when you pass one going the other way...

I like your thinking. Plus when you're behind the wheel you can't see the face. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
Old 04-06-11, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Still the best small compact to me.
In some ways I agree (primarily from a Drivers' point of view)......it can be considered a Poor-Man's-BMW. But do you think it is also better, overall, then the Civic Si, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, or Subaru WRX?

(you really can't compare it to the STi and Evo, as those two are in another, more upmarket compact-class).
Old 04-07-11, 03:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Blasphemous!!!

There are actually a lot of deficiencies in the Matrix: It is too tall, if you put kids in the back seat they can't see out of the windows, the driving position is VERY awkward, you are nickeled and dimed to death on extras, the interior is really cheap, it looks weird...especially the butt end, the engine is too noisy and under-performs, the power-band is too high, steering provides little feedback, bad over-steer, too much body roll even in gradual corners, transmission was not designed for the vehicle (stolen from the Celica [XRS model]) and is an obviously poor fit, and lastly...only old people drive this car. I swear the median age for the buyers of this car is around 45 (a common problem for Toyota).

For the money, you get a much better, more advanced, more exciting vehicle when you get the Mazda3. The Matrix just feels like a cheap car compared to the Mazda3s, and for similarly equipped models you pay LESS for a better Mazda3s than you would for a Matrix XRS.

Plus I just looked at consumer reports and they aren't really recommending the Matrix because the reliability has not been that great. But the Mazda3 shares the 6's underpinnings and the 6 was considered to be very reliable.

You want a hatch and want to save 15k buy a Mazda 3 hatch. CT just can't compare.
lol... Matrix 1.8l is nice car, a lot better utility than Mazda at much lower price plus it gets a lot better mpg.

If you want to pay Mazda price, you can get Rav4 with much better utility, stronger engine and same mpg. Heck, you can get V6 Rav4 Sport for same price as top mazda, which will smoke it, get almost the same mileage.

But of course, its resale value is much better and you wont be able to get it used for cheapo.

btw. i like mazda 3 and mazda 6 a LOT. I am just pointing how limited your view is. And it is very limited.
Old 04-07-11, 06:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

With auto trans, both cars get similar gas mileage, very little difference with either of their 4 cyl engines.

Neither are gas mileage champs vs. some of the other cars in the segment but they are OK IMO.
Old 04-07-11, 07:48 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol... Matrix 1.8l is nice car, a lot better utility than Mazda at much lower price plus it gets a lot better mpg.

If you want to pay Mazda price, you can get Rav4 with much better utility, stronger engine and same mpg. Heck, you can get V6 Rav4 Sport for same price as top mazda, which will smoke it, get almost the same mileage.

But of course, its resale value is much better and you wont be able to get it used for cheapo.

btw. i like mazda 3 and mazda 6 a LOT. I am just pointing how limited your view is. And it is very limited.
Yes the V6 Rav4 Sport is fast. Its a small suv not a hatch and the v6 gets worse millage.

One can purchase the Mazdaspeed 3 and get better milage and CRUSH the Rav4 v6
Old 04-08-11, 07:45 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2011 Edmunds.com Best Retained Value Awards

Model-Level Winners

Category Year Make Model ^Retained Value
*Sedan Under $20,000 2011 Honda Civic 51.9%
*Sedan Under $20,000 2011 Mazda MAZDA3 51.9%
Finally my hope,belief and wish comes true.
Old 04-08-11, 08:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Finally my hope,belief and wish comes true.
Life is good.