Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 04:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Imagine GS300h, GS300, GS350, GS450h, GS600h and GS-F.
Old 04-13-11, 05:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Vladi
You have to watch the video to experience the design.

From what I can tell profile is production ready. Its a shame that it lost coupe-like silhouette because of a long trunk or a perception of a long trunk.

Hands down the best part is the arch that goes into taillight and goes down to fender.

This is the best pic of a car so far

It is, its my new screensaver. Thing is as I look at in, in all its glory, it didn't remind me of a Lexus. I look at this great pic and great looking car, with no badges evident and sadly to me, it could be anything. Doesn't help Hyundai rips off design as well with its new vehicles. There is some Pontiac G8 in it. E60. etc etc.

To me it seems Lexus might shift L-finesse to make their vehicles look more similar and again, I am not sure how I feel about that. Lexus has been completely successful with their vehicles all looking different while sharing Lexus cues. They are still recognizable as a Lexus. Its odd as it really goes against design but it has worked.

Those with short-memory, design impairment or just haterade like saying the 3GS looks like a Maxima and Altimas, G35, G37 etc but I know the 3GS is an evolution of the 2GS which was a departure from the 1GS. It looks like a GS to me. Lexus has used that short hood/trunk, curved roof, bold headlight design for what near 15 years now. Yeah its unfortunate its been knocked-off to death but I KNOW where the GS evolved from and the rest are imitators (XF this means you too). BTW DID EVERYONE RIP OFF THE BMW HOFFMEISTER KINK?

I mean we can all tell what an Audi, BMW, Benz is but they all look similar and could be frankenstiens of other cars. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it is terrible. I'm glad they have their design but lets not act like they haven't copied either.

I do not want to see a IS/ES/LS/GS that look the same but are different sizes! Hopefully this does not happen.

Its grown on me some (thanks for the Photoshops) minus the grille. I hope the rest of the package really takes it over the top if the design isn't exactly to my liking.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-13-11 at 06:48 PM.

Old 04-13-11, 05:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if this is the GS, I wonder what the ES will look like.

this could easily be the ES too. How are they gonna differentiate.................

I wonder when they're gonna reveal the ES. the next big show after NY is LA, which is in november.
Old 04-13-11, 06:23 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My guess is that this is pretty close to the new GS hybrid but the oversize wheels and rear view cameras will go. The regular GS will get a less agressive grill and headlight installation but the rest of the car is likely the next GS.
Steve
Old 04-13-11, 07:46 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will do but it should have, could have, been more than that.
Old 04-13-11, 09:03 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
if this is the GS, I wonder what the ES will look like.

this could easily be the ES too. How are they gonna differentiate.................

I wonder when they're gonna reveal the ES. the next big show after NY is LA, which is in november.
I'm thinking LF-Eh. ES 300h and ES 350.
Old 04-14-11, 08:39 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I think this looks GREAT. Upon first seeing the pictures, I was not blown away. However, the design in just a few days has already grown on me A LOT. This is a totally Lexus design; as with all Lexus designs, it's all about the details. As you look at the pictures more and more closely, you see all the subtle details in the design, complementing the main styling lines. Also as with all modern Lexus designs, pictures do not show all the details.

The doors are in fact quite muscular and sculpted, and I am shocked that almost nobody has mentioned just how MUSCULAR and BULGING the fenders and wheel wells are. It gives the car a great stance and a very sinister, muscular, and sporty look which is what the GS SHOULD have. Furthermore, the beltine seems low and purposeful, which gives the car a sporty and more aggressive look. The beltline is also very well defined.

Am I sad to see the fastback profile gone? Only slightly. Haters can't have their cake and eat it too. The 3GS has been blasted as being bland and out-of-proportion from some angles, while at the same time having compromised interior and trunk space, and an inconsistent drive and interior. This concept has a more "conventional" profile, but you can CLEARLY see interior room has increased as well as trunk space. Furthermore, this concept looks MUCH more balanced and proportioned than the 3GS. You lose something, while gaining other things. I think the loss of the fastback profile is more than made up with the numerous benefits this profile brings. This concept looks much more purposeful than the 3GS, and it gives off a strong 2GS vibe to me IMO. I was personally never a fan of the high trunk/high rear that previous GS models had. I'm glad to see Lexus going for a WIDER, LOWER and more MUSCULAR trunk/rear end with this concept.

Overall the concept to me looks like a younger, angrier, more sinister brother of the LS. I see more of a 4LS resemblance in the side profile than a BMW E60. I also see some IS and IS F styling cues. Having both IS and LS styling cues is what the GS SHOULD have.

The hard truth is, the GS has always been an odd-ball in the Lexus lineup design-wise, for better or worse. Many of us have liked the 2GS looks, and some like the 1GS and 3GS look because it is (was) unique in the segment. On the other hand, the GS has never had a strong family resemblance to the IS or LS up to now. The GS has had unique GS styling cues, but never strong Lexus styling cues. The GS has been an odd-ball in the lineup just like the 2SC, which has almost no resemblance to any other Lexus models. I also see a few LFA styling cues, which is always great. This concept has a strong Lexus family resemblance. At the same time, I think the next-gen LS and next-gen IS will both carry forward this Lexus family resemblance WITHOUT all looking the same like BMW and Audi sedans do. With a stronger Lexus family styling resemblance, improved interior space, and less "odd ball" styling compared to the 3GS, I think this will be a hit for Lexus.

With so many automakers desperately going for "coupe" styling on their sedans, IMO it's refreshing that Lexus moved away from that fastback profile and went for a more classy or "executive" sort of profile. It's honestly becoming overused and borderline-tacky when you see Nissans and Hyundais with fastback profiles. The GS used to be unique with the fastback profile, but times have changed with so many copying that profile, and I'm glad Lexus has changed in this regard. Also I fail to see how this concept looks like "any other" midsize competitor out there. It does NOT look like an Audi at all IMO, nor a Benz or Infiniti. The ONLY resemblance this has is to an E60 5 Series, and that is still a slight resemblance. In person, the resemblance will be less than in pictures.

I'm not worried about the grille at all. It will be toned down for production, and I can already see how.

The interior also looks gorgeous so far. Looks like a BIG step up from the current GS interior. Great to see new interior color options. Not sure how I feel about an analog clock, but I will wait to see final production pictures before judging. We can also see how large the nav screen will be, and the 4GS will most definitely be using Remote Touch.

Also interesting to note that this concept encompasses different GS models into one. Those wheels, that bulging hood, and 285 rear tires only mean one thing; the GSF is coming ! Obviously there will be a hybrid model as well, on top of the regular GS models.

This already blows away the Infiniti M for me just on styling alone.

I now eagerly await what the production model will look like, along with interior pics and final specs.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-14-11 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Lets keep on topic of the car please. Not everyone is going to like this car, and if polite and mature that is OK too
Old 04-14-11, 09:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Here's proof that the LF-Gh is not a static display car. Here it is driving around the streets here in SoCal in the Phillips Ranch (Pomona) and Diamond Bar areas LOL. Most of the backdrops were taken at Diamond Ranch HS in Diamond Bar.
those rolling shots are
I love the new wheels

in certain angle, the grill looks good

this is stirring my soul (not like the 2GS but better than the 3GS did)

yeah, I was waiting for a growl but it was pretty quiet
Old 04-14-11, 04:17 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I think this looks GREAT. Upon first seeing the pictures, I was not blown away. However, the design in just a few days has already grown on me A LOT. This is a totally Lexus design; as with all Lexus designs, it's all about the details. As you look at the pictures more and more closely, you see all the subtle details in the design, complementing the main styling lines. Also as with all modern Lexus designs, pictures do not show all the details.

The doors are in fact quite muscular and sculpted, and I am shocked that almost nobody has mentioned just how MUSCULAR and BULGING the fenders and wheel wells are. It gives the car a great stance and a very sinister, muscular, and sporty look which is what the GS SHOULD have. Furthermore, the beltine seems low and purposeful, which gives the car a sporty and more aggressive look. The beltline is also very well defined.

Am I sad to see the fastback profile gone? Only slightly. Haters can't have their cake and eat it too. The 3GS has been blasted as being bland and out-of-proportion from some angles, while at the same time having compromised interior and trunk space, and an inconsistent drive and interior. This concept has a more "conventional" profile, but you can CLEARLY see interior room has increased as well as trunk space. Furthermore, this concept looks MUCH more balanced and proportioned than the 3GS. You lose something, while gaining other things. I think the loss of the fastback profile is more than made up with the numerous benefits this profile brings. This concept looks much more purposeful than the 3GS, and it gives off a strong 2GS vibe to me IMO. I was personally never a fan of the high trunk/high rear that previous GS models had. I'm glad to see Lexus going for a WIDER, LOWER and more MUSCULAR trunk/rear end with this concept.

Overall the concept to me looks like a younger, angrier, more sinister brother of the LS. I see more of a 4LS resemblance in the side profile than a BMW E60. I also see some IS and IS F styling cues. Having both IS and LS styling cues is what the GS SHOULD have.

The hard truth is, the GS has always been an odd-ball in the Lexus lineup design-wise, for better or worse. Many of us have liked the 2GS looks, and some like the 1GS and 3GS look because it is (was) unique in the segment. On the other hand, the GS has never had a strong family resemblance to the IS or LS up to now. The GS has had unique GS styling cues, but never strong Lexus styling cues. The GS has been an odd-ball in the lineup just like the 2SC, which has almost no resemblance to any other Lexus models. I also see a few LFA styling cues, which is always great. This concept has a strong Lexus family resemblance. At the same time, I think the next-gen LS and next-gen IS will both carry forward this Lexus family resemblance WITHOUT all looking the same like BMW and Audi sedans do. With a stronger Lexus family styling resemblance, improved interior space, and less "odd ball" styling compared to the 3GS, I think this will be a hit for Lexus.

With so many automakers desperately going for "coupe" styling on their sedans, IMO it's refreshing that Lexus moved away from that fastback profile and went for a more classy or "executive" sort of profile. It's honestly becoming overused and borderline-tacky when you see Nissans and Hyundais with fastback profiles. The GS used to be unique with the fastback profile, but times have changed with so many copying that profile, and I'm glad Lexus has changed in this regard. Also I fail to see how this concept looks like "any other" midsize competitor out there. It does NOT look like an Audi at all IMO, nor a Benz or Infiniti. The ONLY resemblance this has is to an E60 5 Series, and that is still a slight resemblance. In person, the resemblance will be less than in pictures.

I'm not worried about the grille at all. It will be toned down for production, and I can already see how.

The interior also looks gorgeous so far. Looks like a BIG step up from the current GS interior. Great to see new interior color options. Not sure how I feel about an analog clock, but I will wait to see final production pictures before judging. We can also see how large the nav screen will be, and the 4GS will most definitely be using Remote Touch.

Also interesting to note that this concept encompasses different GS models into one. Those wheels, that bulging hood, and 285 rear tires only mean one thing; the GSF is coming ! Obviously there will be a hybrid model as well, on top of the regular GS models.

This already blows away the Infiniti M for me just on styling alone.

I now eagerly await what the production model will look like, along with interior pics and final specs.
Totally agree. This is what the middle ground between the IS and LS should have been. I just don't understand the comparisons to Kia and Hyundai, the LF-Gh looks nothing like the Sonata and Optima. Finally they design nice looking cars and people all of a sudden compare them to Lexus

I HOPE that the production car is exactly the same as the LF-Gh, except for the grille which must be toned down. And I can't wait to see the production interior as well. The teasers of it looks like it has nice integrated design with top notch materials we expect from Lexus.
Old 04-14-11, 04:31 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the Gh gives off a german vibe.
minus the front end, It has a conservative style; austere, like the germans.

looks like they're gunning for 5 series buyers.

sheet metal is very plane though. barely a crease or bend anywhere. the side is so flat and barren

Right now, that leaves only infiniti with a curvy wavy bulbous cockroach style.
Old 04-14-11, 04:52 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like Infinity had sexual relations with BMW, and there child got it on with the inbred son of an IS and GS.
Old 04-14-11, 05:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mordecai
Totally agree. This is what the middle ground between the IS and LS should have been. I just don't understand the comparisons to Kia and Hyundai, the LF-Gh looks nothing like the Sonata and Optima. Finally they design nice looking cars and people all of a sudden compare them to Lexus

I HOPE that the production car is exactly the same as the LF-Gh, except for the grille which must be toned down. And I can't wait to see the production interior as well. The teasers of it looks like it has nice integrated design with top notch materials we expect from Lexus.
Sonata comparisons are ridiculous as well. The tail lights DO NOT look like Sonata lights; they have a family resemblance to the IS tails. If anything, the Sonata copied the IS tails.

I am excited because to me, this shows Lexus is very SERIOUS about having the 4GS be very competitive. Not just in terms of styling, quality, or refinement, but specifically in terms of interior space, sportiness, road presence and model variants. This is definitely what the GS should be.

Lexus could make a GS or LS-based vehicle with a coupe-like profile as a niche vehicle. Thinking about it now, IMHO a big reason why the GS has never consistently matched 5 Series or E Class sales is that it made too many compromises due to the fastback profile of previous GS generations.

the Gh gives off a german vibe.
minus the front end, It has a conservative style; austere, like the germans.

looks like they're gunning for 5 series buyers.
Conservative sells, and this includes the luxury market as well.

sheet metal is very plane though. barely a crease or bend anywhere. the side is so flat and barren
Wrong. You are not seeing all the details in the pics. Lots of bends and intricate curves in the sheet metal, some of which is hard to see due to the lighting and silver exterior color. The doors in fact do have a curvy muscular shape to them, which starts at the strong shoulder line and goes down to the side skirts. The rear doors also curve into the pronounced rear fenders. From a slightly angled rear view, you can clearly see the curvature of the doors.

Right now, that leaves only infiniti with a curvy wavy bulbous cockroach style.
A style which is failing so far sales-wise. The market has spoken, and the majority of the market does not like that sort of style. If Lexus made the 4GS too wavy or bulbous, it would have failed sales-wise as well. It's a good thing they did not.
Old 04-14-11, 05:26 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Theoretically speaking, if they were bold enough to show us an F-styled front end on a hybrid, imagine what we would get with the actual GS-F.

Plug-in is a must.
Old 04-14-11, 07:06 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love everything about it, except that oversized front grille. Lexus will definitely not let that zany grille get out the factory looking like that, not on their flagship sporty sedan. They'll tone that down for sure.

But the rest of car is just about perfect for me. I'm probably in the minority, but I like the evolutionary, simple designs more than the bold-statement designs....which is why it took me forever to warm up to the Bangled BMWs. And really, I only like the 3-series for the most part, and really only in coupe form. Never warmed up to previous 5s and 7s, though the new 5 looks decent, better than it's looked in YEARS to me. And I haven't seen a Mercedes in the last decade that didn't have at least 2 or 3 too many crevices or scoops, especially the AMGs. And the recent E-class? It's just pitiful.

I'd much rather have this new Lexus concept than either of those.

First, I love the simplicity of the profile. I like uncluttered profiles, without a lot of new design elements. Just give me a boring, majestic clean profile, and I know I will enhance it the way I see fit with a subtle drop and rims and tint (for me, tint always helps too ) For me, this profile is perfect, clean and uncluttered. Overhang on the front is nice and short (for such a large sedan) and I love the rear 3/4 as well. I absolutely love it. Never liked the rear 3/4 of the 3GS...which is why I think the 3GS looks best in black, because it hides it.

Next, I LOVE the rear. Again, so simple, so clean, so uncluttered. That looks PERFECT to me. I wouldn't change a thing, I so hope that rear makes it to production as is. I'm intoxicated by it, really....that's how I would design it myself. Simple, yet somewhat dramatic with the taillights. Many applause for the person who OK'ed that rear at the Lexus Design Studio.

The front? Well, I love the unfussy hood and how it flows into the gorgeous but clean headlights. And something REALLY important for me...is that the hood doesn't have too much of a bulge. It's subtle. I like that ALOT. The IS-F's hood is just too large (same thing on the M3 too, but ISF's worse for me, by a nose...pun intended lol)

But the grille and the bottom part of the bumper? That's just too much. For me, it's just too aggressive. And I am SURE there have been many back at Lexus who have said the same thing and they are already toning that whole grille and bottom bumper down. Thank goodness!

I love the concept wheels too, but that's beside the point....because when/if I buy it, I am certainly investing in my own wheels, and then I'm droppin' that sucker.

I absolutely LOVE it. I like the tallish, executive sedan profile...which will look just fine when dropped and tinted.

Is it groundbreaking? Nope. And I for one prefer it not be. There have been very few groundbreaking designs that I have loved. This Lexus evolution works for me. And for me, this LF-GH will look good 10 to 15 years from now if most of the design elements make it to production.

I've been saving for an M3 the last few years, but now, with this LF-GH, it will give the M3 a run for its money in regards to my next purchase. With Lexus reliability and with the right sporty engine, I might be sold. Likely, I get an M3 next (my midlife crisis purchase), drive it for a few years, then trade it in and get this Lexus once it's a few years old and they work the kinks out. And then like my 2GS with 200,000+ miles, I'll drive it 'til it drops.

Many thumbs up to Lexus for this one. For me, they got it right for the most part. And the rolling shots, they're money!

I love Love LOVE it! I am so excited, can't wait to see it on the road. Lexus, don't mess this up!

Last edited by KevinGS; 04-14-11 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 07:43 PM
LexFather

^^Wow Kevin glad to hear this.

Another chop...no Lexus emblem

Last edited by LexFather; 04-14-11 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)