Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 09:44 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The GS-C would look sick in this body.... Come on Lexus, bring us the coupe version
Old 04-14-11, 11:00 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ That would be great, but it would be the same thing as a new SC. I'd love to see a 3rd-gen SC in this new design language that looks more like the 1st gen SC.
Old 04-14-11, 11:39 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I personally like the big grille opening. It is a little too over the top but at the same time desirable and menacing.

I love the minimalism and industrial design of the body.

If they put the bumper bar in to fill up the grille, it takes a lot of the flavor away.
Old 04-15-11, 12:09 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I have no doubt that the grill will be minimized. Toyota definitely knows it's too much for the general Lexus crowd.
Old 04-15-11, 02:56 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is, its my new screensaver. Thing is as I look at in, in all its glory, it didn't remind me of a Lexus. I look at this great pic and great looking car, with no badges evident and sadly to me, it could be anything. Doesn't help Hyundai rips off design as well with its new vehicles. There is some Pontiac G8 in it. E60. etc etc.

To me it seems Lexus might shift L-finesse to make their vehicles look more similar and again, I am not sure how I feel about that. Lexus has been completely successful with their vehicles all looking different while sharing Lexus cues. They are still recognizable as a Lexus. Its odd as it really goes against design but it has worked.

Those with short-memory, design impairment or just haterade like saying the 3GS looks like a Maxima and Altimas, G35, G37 etc but I know the 3GS is an evolution of the 2GS which was a departure from the 1GS. It looks like a GS to me. Lexus has used that short hood/trunk, curved roof, bold headlight design for what near 15 years now. Yeah its unfortunate its been knocked-off to death but I KNOW where the GS evolved from and the rest are imitators (XF this means you too). BTW DID EVERYONE RIP OFF THE BMW HOFFMEISTER KINK?

I mean we can all tell what an Audi, BMW, Benz is but they all look similar and could be frankenstiens of other cars. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it is terrible. I'm glad they have their design but lets not act like they haven't copied either.

I do not want to see a IS/ES/LS/GS that look the same but are different sizes! Hopefully this does not happen.

Its grown on me some (thanks for the Photoshops) minus the grille. I hope the rest of the package really takes it over the top if the design isn't exactly to my liking.
To tell you the truth I love the grill. Why? Because its the best interpretation of the big aggressive grill. Although Audis have big grills they dont have aggressive ones, their grills dont offend nobody even on S, RS trims. What Audi uses instead for touch of aggressive is the fog light area which they make more prominent than the grill itself. Bottom line Audi dont have a grill like this. This is closest to lets say EVO or new Charger SRT8 grill, those are angry in your face grills.

Anyway what are we looking here on this concept is probably variant of some sort of upcoming GS-F treatment. Will they leave a grill like that for GS350? I really doubt because where will they go from there for top spec GS. For a base we should expect some sort of a grill split but I hope it doesnt end up being as conservative as our choppers suggested With all that talk of a new bold design I expect new GS to remain aggressive in a production trim too.
If they dont touch the headlights and leave them pulled back in a body while bumper is sticking out they can retain angry look.

Lets see hopefully after LFA Lexus designers and managers did some sex change
Old 04-15-11, 03:37 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^Wow Kevin glad to hear this.

Another chop...no Lexus emblem

Yeah, that just looks better to me, Mike. Because then there's aftermarket potential. Otherwise, with that huge grille, we just won't be able to do much with it, except maybe paint 2/3 of it or something. And I don't know if that's a good enough solution. I have the same problem with the Audi's grille.

Lexus knows this too. They're not putting something so demonstrative on their mainstream-ish sedan. Not gonna happen.

I sure hope those minimalist cutouts for the door-handles find their way onto the production car. I love the cleanliness of the profile with the small doorhandle cutouts....but with the regular door handles, the profile looks much more like a Camry/LS. That's not BAD, persay, but to me, for some reason, those small cutouts make the car look "different" and even cleaner.

It's amazing that the doorhandles could have such an effect on me, but they do.

Originally Posted by G Star
I personally like the big grille opening. It is a little too over the top but at the same time desirable and menacing.

I love the minimalism and industrial design of the body.

If they put the bumper bar in to fill up the grille, it takes a lot of the flavor away.
I hear what you're saying. But the effect is almost too dramatic. If they keep the aggressive lower bumper area, that would be enough for most of us.

But yes, like you, I love the minimalism, industrial design. It looks a little retro, but with subtle state of the art design elements. I like it.
Old 04-15-11, 03:44 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And I love the badge-less rear of the concept. I would so do this if I had this car. I would love to just have this option right from the factory. Even if I had a GS-F, I would remove all badges, and just have them Lexus emblem....just like this.

I love it!
Old 04-15-11, 05:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

well since it is an concept, who knows, maybe it will end up more static and traditional than LS460 Sport :-)
Old 04-15-11, 01:12 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems to me that luxury design is taking a turn backwards these days. This surely is a departure from the bubble look of the previous GS's and a lot of other copy cats. More of a retro look to it imo. Also im sure you guys noticed the retro-boxy look of the new E-class, 5-series,and to an extent, the XF. The M cars(Infiniti) and the new Sabb are the only torch carriers of the large,bustle-back sport sedan era. I like the backwards but progressive approach to these new designs because how round are you gonna make a car before it becomes truly an egg or jelly bean. Even the CLS with its rounded roof has more blocked off edges to it than the previous generation. Now buy doing this, its making my 05 LS look less and less dated. lol
Old 04-17-11, 07:59 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 More days until the "unveiling", can't wait to hear what Lexus has in store for us.

Would they release any spec information, or at least a release date for this?

I'm assuming (and hoping) for a Spring 2012 release.

As for specs, hoping they mention the line up for GS, and if a GSF is definitely confirmed, the power, weight, and release date for it. If the new GS is released in 2012, a GSF would be 2013 than, huh?
Old 04-17-11, 09:42 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

beautiful!!! please keep the no side mirror...that's awesome.
Old 04-18-11, 02:24 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
2 More days until the "unveiling", can't wait to hear what Lexus has in store for us.

Would they release any spec information, or at least a release date for this?

I'm assuming (and hoping) for a Spring 2012 release.

As for specs, hoping they mention the line up for GS, and if a GSF is definitely confirmed, the power, weight, and release date for it. If the new GS is released in 2012, a GSF would be 2013 than, huh?
What you are looking here is probably 99% GS-F concept.
Old 04-18-11, 07:26 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladi
What you are looking here is probably 99% GS-F concept.
80% of the time it works every time.
Old 04-19-11, 05:58 AM
LexFather

Car debuts today. I couldn't make it to NYC but thanks Ryan for looking out!

Old 04-19-11, 06:07 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car debuts today. I couldn't make it to NYC but thanks Ryan for looking out!
Ah, that sucks. I was looking forward to seeing you again, but Ryan told me the news last night...

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)