Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 05:50 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i prefer a computer clock. not analog, and not the cheap green ones they've used the past 20 years.

analog clock is like a "me too" gimmick.
Old 04-20-11, 06:24 PM
dr Lu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking forward to seeing it in person next weekend at the NY auto show.
Old 04-20-11, 07:17 PM
LexFather

I'm going to ban the next person who talks about a clock in a car. We have rarely ever complained about the clock here. To me the only people that complain about it are non Lexus owners looking for anything to bish about.

Also shame on Lexus for even mentioning it if its just a regular clock. If its something different, please do explain. If its just another clock, who cares.

One thing I've observed about wood wheels. Over time, Lexus full leather wheels to me wear worse than the wood/leather wheels. The tradeoff is the wheel can be slippery to some/less feedback and it is hot in the summer sometimes.

Old 04-20-11, 10:20 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ But it's a three-dimensional analog clock. :P
Old 04-20-11, 10:38 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Not sure how I feel about this design but I am not liking it much. It does not break any new ground and that Audi/Mitsu grill is ugly and needs to be heavily toned down. It resembles last generations 5 series especially in the rear which I am not a fan of. It does have some nice angles like the side view which is nicely proportioned, but it has some odd angles too like from the front and rear. Even though I am not really a fan of this design I do find it much better looking and better proportioned then the current Gen GS, I am glad it appears they dropped the fast back design for a normal trunk and it has a nicer stance being wider now. To me this looks nothing like a Lexus GS and could really be any 4 door. It does not stand out as a unique Lexus design either like past generations did but more like a cross between a smaller more aggressive LS and a larger IS with a touch of last generation 5 series thrown in.

I am afraid once they drop the overly aggressive and stylish concept cues for a production version you are going to have a pretty plain bland looking sedan that does not stand out except for the Audish/Mitsu grill or have any real interesting design cues. It may just end up resembling a smaller LS with a little more style which is not a good thing for the GS, then again bland does sell and seems to be what buyers want so this may end up working sales wise.

The interior from those shots is plain and uninspired in my opinion, looks very boring and like they just copied BMW interiors and the Mercedes E class. It resembles the new GX interior in some aspects which is another design dud.

I like the overall proportions of this car but the design cues and executions are not well done nor do they stand out much. Hopefully it can be corrected for production. I do have hope because I was not much of a fan of the previous FT-S designs but this last concept they just showed looks great so maybe this new GS design can be better finessed in the future.
Old 04-21-11, 02:38 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I do really like the simplicity and subtle aggression of this design. I'd like to see a little more emotion put into it before production, but I think that as a "first shot", I like what I see.

The in-person pics definitely swayed my opinion, so thanks to you guys who attended the event.

One thing that just came to mind: Everyone that I have spoken to who has seen the 4GS has said it's an evolution of the current car with more curves and texture (a la Infiniti M, as I heard from two different sources). Considering those comments and looking at this car is sort of puzzling to me, because the curves on the LF-Gh are far and few between. It's mostly hard lines and sharp creases.

Makes me wonder if the 4GS will be significantly from this concept.
LF-Gh is full of curved lines and arcs just not as bubbly as new M. But who knows what really is goin on.
Old 04-21-11, 05:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i prefer a computer clock. not analog, and not the cheap green ones they've used the past 20 years.

analog clock is like a "me too" gimmick.
i consider digital clock in current GS to be "retro"

:-)
Old 04-21-11, 05:23 AM
LexFather

mordecai and spwolf are clock banned

Old 04-21-11, 05:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

option for the new gs

Old 04-21-11, 06:40 AM
2008ES
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
option for the new gs

...and you thought that was a sharkfin on the roof?

Old 04-21-11, 06:45 AM
LexFather

lmfao at bit......

Does it go past 2012?

Old 04-21-11, 07:09 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Does it go past 2012?
NOTHING goes past 2012

So party this year like it's your last!!!!!
Old 04-21-11, 08:33 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-21-11, 11:01 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

are there paddle shifters, and any word on the tranny? ie: will the manual mode be IS-F style (with TC lockout), or a lame slushbox again?

The styling is disappointing, but I think ultimately, we will all get used to it and it will be a good looking car. I definitely see some 5-series influence, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. As long as the new GS is w-i-d-e-r than the current model, that will help to make it look a lot sportier, which is something it desperately needs.
Old 04-21-11, 11:27 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

So there are no good pictures of the interior?

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)