Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche officially unveils the Panamera Turbo S ahead of New York debut...550hp

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 11:09 PM
LexFather

Post Porsche officially unveils the Panamera Turbo S ahead of New York debut...550hp

I didn't see a thread......DO WANT!

With its new four-door Panamera Turbo S, Porsche once again raises the bar for sporty four-door luxury cars by delivering ultra high performance and efficiency, sports-car-like driving dynamics, and first-class comfort in a purely Porsche package.

Porsche will reveal its most powerful Panamera for the first time in North America on April 20, 2011 at the New York International Auto Show.

The engine in the new top-of-the-line Panamera is based on the already proven and powerful twin-turbocharged V8 engine in the Panamera Turbo. The 4.8 liter, V8 engine in the Turbo S achieves a maximum output of 550 horsepower, which is 10 percent more than the 500 horsepower delivered by the Panamera Turbo. The torque is also increased over the Turbo from 516 lb-ft to 553 lb-ft. In the "Sport" and "Sport Plus" mode of the standard Sport Chrono Package Turbo, the overboost function can temporarily generate additional torque with a peak rating of 590 lb.-ft.

The power increase delivered in the Panamera Turbo S can be attributed to two main enhancements: new twin turbochargers with titanium–aluminum turbines and a modified engine control. Titanium–aluminum reduces the turbine and compressor wheel's weight, which results in a quicker turbo response that improves the engine's agility.

The formidable powerplant that lies beneath the hood of the Panamera Turbo S is capable of propelling it to sports-car sprint times. With the help of Launch Control, the newest Panamera can reach 60 mph in just 3.6 seconds. The top track speed is 190 mph. And despite this increased performance, fuel consumption is expected to remain comparable to the Panamera Turbo that delivers an EPA estimated rating of 15 mpg city/23 mpg highway (18 mpg combined). Official EPA fuel economy estimates for the Panamera Turbo S will be available when the car goes on sale in North America.

Even for a world-class luxury car, the Panamera Turbo S boasts an extraordinarily high level of comprehensive features. In keeping with its sporty concept, it comes equipped with the most important driving-dynamic control systems. For example, Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) is an active anti-roll system that significantly reduces lateral body movement during corning, which enhances stability, handling and overall occupant comfort. Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) is also standard and works to help ensure superior traction and higher-performance cornering by applying a variable torque split to the rear wheels in combination with an electronically controlled rear differential lock. Also standard is Porsche's advanced speed-sensitive Servotronic steering system, a sports exhaust system, and the Sport Chrono Package Turbo that further tunes the engine and suspension at the touch of the "Sport Plus" button.

While the sporting character of the new Panamera Turbo S is most apparent behind the wheel, the car's exterior tastefully exudes its high-performance ambitions. The new 20-inch Turbo II wheels with increased rear axle track width, side skirts from the Porsche Exclusive range and the adaptive four-way extending rear spoiler express the car's elite performance abilities. Inside, the fusion of exclusivity and sportiness is conveyed in the interior by the standard bi-color leather finish. A new combination of black/cream is offered exclusively for the new Panamera Turbo S with Agate Grey/cream also being added as an exclusive option later this year. Agate Gray Metallic will also be an exclusive exterior color.

The new Porsche Panamera Turbo S will go on sale in the U.S. later this spring, and will have a base MSRP of $173,200, excluding $975 for delivery and destination.

Old 04-05-11, 11:18 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate that certain cars grow on me.

Like this one.
Old 04-05-11, 11:27 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster

Like this one.
I hated this car when it first came out...

Now, I want it!
Old 04-05-11, 11:29 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the power in the world won't fix how horribly ugly it is.
Old 04-06-11, 01:09 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that picture angle doesn't help it.

i can't get over that bloated look.
Old 04-06-11, 05:37 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Stopped by the Porsche dealer this morning and they had both a Yachting Blue and a Black Pan 4Ss out front. They looked fantastic to me inside and out. This new Turbo S sounds like a great addition to those with the means to obtain one.
Old 04-06-11, 06:22 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
All the power in the world won't fix how horribly ugly it is.
Quoted for truth
Old 04-06-11, 07:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

loved it from day 1 and it only keeps getting better. i even like that some people find it ugly!

the newest Panamera can reach 60 mph in just 3.6 seconds.
that's just totally amazing. is there ANY competitor to this?
Old 04-06-11, 08:08 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of those cars that looks a billion times better in black.

Anyone heard the Burmeister audio system in it yet?
Old 04-06-11, 09:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
loved it from day 1 and it only keeps getting better. i even like that some people find it ugly!

I hated it since day 1, but it's almost starting to be acceptable to me now.

Agreed love/hate styling effect can be seen as a plus, stands out in a crowd.

I see no direct competition in the US for this car.
Old 04-06-11, 09:55 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster

Like this one.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I hated it since day 1, but it's almost starting to be acceptable to me now.

Agreed love/hate styling effect can be seen as a plus, stands out in a crowd.

I see no direct competition in the US for this car.
totally agree. I'm sticking my foot in my mouth from day 1 here (but only acceptable with a body kit)

my opinion: I think it's b/c the S class is too common, boring, 7 looks like pig with the flaring nostrils, A8 is so damn boring looking, Rapide (too much$$$$), LS (well, it's an LS),
Old 04-06-11, 10:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If the car looked the same, but came with 350hp only, the hate would have grown

I'm impartial to the looks of the car. I don't find it ugly, but I don't find it attractive either.
Old 04-06-11, 02:58 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the thing needs a big spoiler in the back to balance it out
Old 04-06-11, 03:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Please no massive Subie/rice wing. It has an electric rear spoiler already.

A lot Panas in CA w/22's already.
Old 04-06-11, 03:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was in front of one on the way to work this morning and I think it looks amazing.I would rather one of these than an S class

Quick Reply: Porsche officially unveils the Panamera Turbo S ahead of New York debut...550hp