Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Use your A/C compressor regularly.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 09:26 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good post .
Old 04-08-11, 09:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are starting to get some current and up-to-date automotive AC information on this thread, a good thing.

Obviously in the last 10-15 years AC compressor failures are extremely rare. These modern AC systems are very reliable and robust.

I can report on one AC compressor failure dating back to a 1996 JGC (a SUV I sold to a family member in early 2001), the AC compressor failed at about 140K miles but not while I owned the vehicle. Otherwise I've experienced zero AC failures in the dozens of vehicles owned.
Old 04-08-11, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Big difference Mike

You can disconnect the battery of a normal car if you are going on long trips.
You cannot disconnect the hybrid powertrain Thus why it would need driving.
Good point....if that is indeed the case. There may (?) be a way to easily disconect a hybrid battery-pack, but I'm not aware of any (and I'll defer to you on that, since you own a hybrid). A hybrid battery-pack, though, holds a lot more power than a conventional gas-engine battery....seems like it would take a lot longer to discharge it under parasitic-drain conditions while parked.
Old 04-08-11, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Obviously in the last 10-15 years AC compressor failures are extremely rare. These modern AC systems are very reliable and robust.
More of them today are automatic, where the computer turns them on and off. Manual-operation, even once a weeek or so, has become less of a necessity.

I can report on one AC compressor failure dating back to a 1996 JGC (a SUV I sold to a family member in early 2001), the AC compressor failed at about 140K miles but not while I owned the vehicle. Otherwise I've experienced zero AC failures in the dozens of vehicles owned.
You (or the computers in your cars) are probably diligent about using the compressors. If so, then this entire thread does not apply to you....you didn't need it.
Old 04-08-11, 09:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Porsche cars are often garage queens used mostly in fair weather conditions. So they will often sit for weeks at a time in garages during mediocre weather. A battery maintainer helps (a OEM battery charger that plugs into ciggie lighter plug), but even using that I found the batteries lasted about 4 years.
Old 04-08-11, 09:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

You (or the computers in your cars) are probably diligent about using the compressors. If so, then this entire thread does not apply to you....you didn't need it.

I'm not especially diligent. I do not use my compressor for weeks at a time during the colder months. I use my auto climate control systems manually most of the time with manual use/control of the AC button. "Computers in my cars" are not "diligent about using the compressors".

My vehicle ownership experiences and use of AC is not uncommon these days. I think you started a good thread with the usual common knowledge out there, and now we have others chiming in with current/relevant/useful/updated information related to the automotive AC systems of today.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-08-11 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-08-11, 11:39 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

im too poor or use my AC hahaha (college student). But i will consider using it now
Old 04-08-11, 03:31 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
YCan any of our thousands of CL posters driving a variety of recent vehicles (including Lexus/Toyota) give us feedback on A/C compressor repairs/replacements that they've experienced (in or out of warranty)?
Might not be too recent, the compressor was replaced on my '99 RX300 in August '03. It was less than 5 years old and about 50K on the odometer. The first symptom was the flashing A/C light/hot air followed soon after by a completely inoperable instrument panel. The repair was over $500 for a remanufactured compressor. I had the extended warranty so I was covered. Didn't even have to pay the deductible. Everything worked well for the next month. I don't know what happened beyond that because I traded it in for the 330 I had ordered before the A/C failed.
Old 04-08-11, 03:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

kitlz - Thanks for the report on 1st gen '99 RX.
Old 04-08-11, 04:28 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Big difference Mike

You can disconnect the battery of a normal car if you are going on long trips.
You cannot disconnect the hybrid powertrain Thus why it would need driving.
Mike, is the compressor on your GS450h electronic or belt driven?...just curious as the Prius is electronic.