Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW developing adaptive 8-speed transmission that predicts curves, road conditions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 09:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No longer accurate? I have to disagree. Though I take nothing away from Porsche, BMW products (apart from the Active-steering models) are still, IMO, a joy to drive....though the electronic-shifters and I-Drive can be a PITA. I just wish BMWs were a little less-expensive and a little more reliable.

Porsche also, BTW, has its share of electronic traction/safety/driving aids. Some of those, of course (along with better tires and suspensions), were developed to cure the older rear-engine 911's drop-throttle snap-oversteer.
Maybe BMW should do a slogan like "joy to drive" to dance around the fact that tactile feel is being removed from it's latest design releases of last few years (including Z4, 5, 7 to be specific).

In contrast the latest versions of the Boxster/Caymen/911 in last few years have maintained the highest levels of steering feel/precision/weighting even when compared to previous gens.

btw, the electronic aids in Porsche vehicles go largely unnoticed in daily driving, they actually allow for certain degrees of yaw and slippage before they intervene, some of the best systems in the automotive industry today.
Old 04-08-11, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
btw, the electronic aids in Porsche vehicles go largely unnoticed in daily driving, they actually allow for certain degrees of yaw and slippage before they intervene, some of the best systems in the automotive industry today.
Many VSC systems today are adjustable or allow some slip (at the insistance, of course, of the staff of auto-mags and enthusiasts), or to allow autocross conditions. But, yes, if a new (or newer) 911 doesn't actually swap ends on a sharp turn and wind up in a ditch, the average Porsche driver, except for those who learned on older rear-engine ones, isn't going to notice (or appreciate) those systems.
Old 04-08-11, 10:17 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is BMW now in the business of making cars for those that cannot drive?
Old 04-08-11, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Is BMW now in the business of making cars for those that cannot drive?
What mainstream upmarket/premium company isn't? Electronic Nanny-Aids are part of the game now with almost anything above entry-level vehicles.
Old 04-08-11, 10:45 AM
gsmithkaty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
It just sounds like a 7 Series, at this level in the game and this price point they gotta do something different, otherwise they might as well be Acura
Well, Lexus and Hyundai have to have something to copy
Old 04-08-11, 11:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gsmithkaty
Well, Lexus and Hyundai have to have something to copy
Where is BMWs V-10 supercar? Oh they copied hybrids too. And they copied Lexus SUVs.

Don't go there.

I have the utmost respect for BMW, I am just sad to see the direction they are going from a purist perspective. No doubt people will buy them no matter what they do to them.

Old 04-08-11, 08:00 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, time for a new more meaningful (and accurate) marketing slogan.
They came up with a new one a little while ago. The slogan is now:

"Joy is BMW"

Incredibly lame imo.
Old 04-09-11, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have the utmost respect for BMW, I am just sad to see the direction they are going from a purist perspective. No doubt people will buy them no matter what they do to them.
They did lose some customers, at first, with the early Chris Bangle-influenced designs. But, as people got more used to those designs, sales rebounded.

I have a lot of respect, myself, for BMW's chassis engineering.......but the reliability, in some cases, leaves a lot to be desired. I still remember the brand-new M3 I reviewed a couple of years ago, and the quality-control defects I found in it....two of them serious.