Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW developing adaptive 8-speed transmission that predicts curves, road conditions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 09:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW developing adaptive 8-speed transmission that predicts curves, road conditions

BMW developing adaptive 8-speed transmission that predicts curves, road conditions

BMW just wrapped up its annual Innovation Days here in Munich, and in addition to detailing its new modular engines (turbocharged three-, four- and six-cylinder powerplants), showing off a range of lightweight components and discussing the possibility of equipping a future EV with a range-extending engine, BMW revealed plans for a new adaptive transmission based on its current eight-speed gearbox.

Utilizing GPS mapping, a wireless data connection, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), front and rear-mounted cameras and radar sensors, the transmission can adapt its shifting pattern and power delivery to suit road conditions.

So, let's say you're heading out on the road and it's raining. The data connection pulls in the most recent weather information, the DSC takes in the coefficient of friction of the road and then restricts power to avoid wheel spin. With the integrated GPS, the system can detect the next curve, recognize you're in Sport mode and downshift into a lower gear to perfectly suit the bend you're about to bomb.

The range of applications is only limited by the amount of data the system can pull in and process, and while BMW wouldn't divulge when this technology would hit production, there's a good chance that the next iteration of the 7 Series could benefit from the system and then filter down throughout BMW's range.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/06/b...edicts-curves/
Old 04-06-11, 09:53 PM
LexFather

What the **** is the point of having a BMW if the car drives itself? I swear I want to buy an E39 now

Old 04-06-11, 09:59 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Camry has more road feel then a 7
Old 04-06-11, 09:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What the **** is the point of having a BMW if the car drives itself? I swear I want to buy an E39 now
Lol so true. Here we live in an age of amazing modern machines capable of performance pinnacles and yet saddled with tech and safety nanny's up the wazoo
Old 04-07-11, 12:34 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Is it really going to predict the curves ahead? It will probably be using the GPS unit in the car.
Old 04-07-11, 01:02 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

It just sounds like a 7 Series, at this level in the game and this price point they gotta do something different, otherwise they might as well be Acura
Old 04-07-11, 07:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

uh, what? it's not driving itself, it's just adapting to conditions.
Old 04-07-11, 08:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
uh, what? it's not driving itself, it's just adapting to conditions.
I think its funny that BMW, the drivers machine...is now

turbo M cars
M cars with the same engines as hundreds of thousdans of cars
5 series based off heavier 7 series
Internet enabled
Lost their drivers oriented dashes (getting them back)
Dual clutches offered instead of manuals
More SUVs than Lexus for crying out loud
More detached experience
etc etc etc

At that rate, might as well buy a Benz or Lexus or Audi. The edge is gone.

I'm all for technology but there are too many times technology is adapted to be better supposedly, or more efficient or to make things faster and there is no opportunity cost evaluation it seems on what will be lost.

Old 04-07-11, 09:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, time for a new more meaningful (and accurate) marketing slogan.
Old 04-08-11, 06:42 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, time for a new more meaningful (and accurate) marketing slogan.
I'll have a go at it.

"BMW, the Ultimate Driving Machine...err umm, not you driving, the car driving"
Old 04-08-11, 07:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^. With an * When equipped with available Snooze-Control option.
Old 04-08-11, 09:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What the **** is the point of having a BMW if the car drives itself?
This appears to be limited to just the transmission ECU and the engine's torque-output, though. You still get to experience that wonderful tactile BMW steering-feel, though, and the superb ride/handling combination. As long as they still have that (though some of the Active-Steering systems don't) BMWs will be BMWs.
Old 04-08-11, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^. With an * When equipped with available Snooze-Control option.
Some upmarket-cars already have that. If the system detects that you are asleep at the wheel or otherwise not making any steering inputs within a given period of time, it will vibrate the wheel or cause a beeper/alarm to go off.

Airplanes, BTW, have had that for many years (I was once a pilot). When the plane nears a stall, and the air-flow starts to buffet over the top of the wings, an audible horn-tone goes off in the cockpit. Some planes also shake the steering-column/yoke.
Old 04-08-11, 09:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Having experienced the superior tactile feel/control/precision of Porsche steering systems in cars, it's no surprise to me that in comparisons that include Porsche, Porsche continues to rise to place at the top. Unfortunately the lastest BMWs (including current 3/5/7 series and M3, Z4) are not up to Porsche in that department (steering feel/precision).

Maybe Porsche should modify and adopt BMW's tired and no longer accurate slogan.

Regardless the increasingly numb driving experience that BMW has designed into its latest version of cars in past few years has helped the sales growth, these expensive cars sell into a premium luxury market where refinement and isolation is required.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-08-11 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-08-11, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe Porsche should modify and adopt BMW's tired and no longer accurate slogan.
No longer accurate? I have to disagree. Though I take nothing away from Porsche, BMW products (apart from the Active-steering models) are still, IMO, a joy to drive....though the electronic-shifters and I-Drive can be a PITA. I just wish BMWs were a little less-expensive and a little more reliable.

Porsche also, BTW, has its share of electronic traction/safety/driving aids. Some of those, of course (along with better tires and suspensions), were developed to cure the older rear-engine 911's drop-throttle snap-oversteer.

Quick Reply: BMW developing adaptive 8-speed transmission that predicts curves, road conditions