Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi makes it right with disgruntled customer, loans free S4 until order arrives

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 10:47 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Audi makes it right with disgruntled customer, loans free S4 until order arrives

Good job Audi. Thats a nice S4 they loaned him for the next couple of months along with the other freebies.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/08/a...s-free-s4-unt/

So as anyone who has read my signature knows, I have been waiting for my S4 order to arrive for quite a while now. I ordered on December 9, 2010 and was told 75 to 90 days, even though I ordered Daytona Gray, a custom color. My build date kept getting pushed back, from January to February, to March and finally to May, putting my delivery date at sometime in mid to late July. When I got the news of the May build date/July delivery from my SA, I was not pleased to say the least. Feeling rather resigned to an interminable wait, I decided to vent by writing a letter to various VAG and Audi executives, including the CEO/Chairman of VW, Audi's President of Production, and the President of Audi USA (not quite as therapeutic as firebombing the dealership, but letter writing involves considerably less jail time). I wasn't *****y or whiny, or even complain in the letter, I just expressed my disappointment that after paying $2,500 for an "exclusive" color, I would have to wait an additional 5 months above and beyond the usual 3 month wait time for an off-the-shelf color. If Audi is planning on overtaking BMW as the #1 luxury manufacturer in the world, it is going to be a difficult journey if they are being tripped up by things as simple as paint, was essentially what I wrote. Thinking I may get a form letter in return but really expecting no reply, I sent off the letters.

Fast forward two weeks. Sitting at work one day, my cell phone rings, number I don't recognize. Don't answer because I'm talking to my boss. Check my voicemail - "Hello Mr. DATZ, this is Johan de Nyschen, President of Audi USA, calling in response to your letter regarding your S4 order. Please give me a call back, my direct office line is XXX-XXX-XXXX." Um, ok.

So I call him back thinking it's some sort of joke. He answers and immediately starts apologizing for the delays, saying there are trunk component shortages, the car is in high demand, and the situation is compounded by me ordering an Exclusive color which requires switching over the factory line blah blah blah. But, he says, these are internal Audi issues and should not cause me extensive delays; the order should have been flagged as stale much sooner and an 8 month delay is absolutely unacceptable, says he. And then he says, "I've personally spoken with the factory manager in Germany and had your built date moved up to April, so you should have your car by mid June. And, if it's acceptable to you, I'd like to locate you an S4 from our fleet which will be yours to use for free until your ordered car arrives." Yup, that'll work for me!!

He also must have called my dealership and reamed them out for not being honest with me in the first place (it turns out the build date was May all along and the Jan/Feb/March/April build dates were total BS from my SA to string me along), because the dealership manager and GM both called me and practically begged me to keep my order and that they'd throw in Audi Care for free. Quite and overnight attitude change from not caring at all if I canceled the day before when I spoke with them.

A week later (today) I get a call from Audi's head of the Northeast region saying they've located an S4 for me to use, it's being prepped and detailed and will be delivered to me at work at 5pm today. Nice way to start the week off! So I come downstairs from the office at 5 o'clock to see this waiting for me -

2011 Phantom/Brilliant black (dunno which), Prem+, DSG, Sports Diff, Alcantara panda interior, Titanium package. It looks really murdered out, with the black paint/grill/trim, which really isn't me (unlike the guy parked next to me apparently), but it'll be fun to roll in for (for free!) for a few months. It's an f'ing blast to drive. It has about 5k miles, and was apparently a press/PR car for Audi.

So bottom line - Audi does listen to our concerns, and if you take the right tact with the right people, they may respond 1,000 times beyond expectations. Not a bad move on their part to build some customer loyalty! The wait for my Daytona S4 has just gotten much more tolerable.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...e-temporary-S4
Old 04-08-11, 10:59 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

good read. its always nice to read these kinda stories
Old 04-08-11, 11:25 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

probably the most important part of the story

and if you take the right tact with the right people,
Great job Audi
Old 04-08-11, 01:28 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This makes me smile... for personal reasons too...
Old 04-08-11, 01:40 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

wow, what a win.. glad that he got another s4 to use
Old 04-08-11, 01:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice!!!
The S4 is very nice too.Great car.
Old 04-08-11, 01:54 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

time to drive it like it was stolen
Old 04-08-11, 03:01 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The President himself making a personal call says SO MUCH about Audi's bottom line for customer service. This guy really wants to make Audi work and is willing to do grunt work to make things happen for the average buyer (not even a wealthy individual). This thread has shined a new light upon Audi.

Also, this thread reminds me of the Chinese Lambo owner beating his Gallardo in public to make a statement about the non-existent attention he was receiving to fix his Gallardo. Funny how they're owned under the same umbrella.
Old 04-08-11, 03:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow 1st class handling of the situation by Audi, nicely done.
Old 04-08-11, 03:23 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
The President himself making a personal call says SO MUCH about Audi's bottom line for customer service. This guy really wants to make Audi work and is willing to do grunt work to make things happen for the average buyer (not even a wealthy individual).
you think so?

or was it because he made an internet stink, and then audi had no choice but to respond?

a few weeks ago, someone wrote a blog claiming that Samsung was putting a keylogger on its laptops sold to customers.
Samsung responded pretty quickly to do a little damage control.
Old 04-08-11, 03:41 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
you think so?

or was it because he made an internet stink, and then audi had no choice but to respond?

a few weeks ago, someone wrote a blog claiming that Samsung was putting a keylogger on its laptops sold to customers.
Samsung responded pretty quickly to do a little damage control.

From the post, he went online about it after receiving the call and RS4 courtesy of the President.

What are you talking about?
Old 04-08-11, 03:58 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

go audi.
Old 04-08-11, 04:07 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

From the post, he went online about it after receiving the call and RS4 courtesy of the President.

I thought it was an S4...
Old 04-08-11, 04:57 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

i dunno. I had the impression that he was bichin about not getting his audi on time.

At first, I thought he was being a crybaby.

You don't pay full price up front for special order, do you ?
Old 04-08-11, 05:28 PM
felixdang
Driver

That's great To have a president call you and apologize.. One good word from a customer can go a long way

Quick Reply: Audi makes it right with disgruntled customer, loans free S4 until order arrives