Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars Americans Think Are the Best

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 11:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427

2010 Top selling cars in the US as of 1/4/11

3. Toyota Camry 327,804
4. Honda Accord 311,381
5. Toyota Corolla 266,082
The Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra, by a large margin, handily outsell all three of these......but, of course, are not regular passenger-cars, but pickups.
Old 04-11-11, 11:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra, by a large margin, handily outsell all three of these......but, of course, are not regular passenger-cars, but pickups.

1. Ford F-Series 528,349
2. Chevrolet Silverado 370,135
Old 04-11-11, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
1. Ford F-Series 528,349
2. Chevrolet Silverado 370,135
Auto-market watchers often consider GMC Sierra sales along with the Silverado, because they are essentially the same vehicle. At one time, not long ago, domestic F-150 sales approached 800,000, but that was back with cheaper gas. Nobody is going to buy an F-150 now unless they actually NEED one, not just for image reasons or showing-off.
Old 04-11-11, 11:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
How is Acura constantly topping the reliability and build quality charts? Werent most of their cars infected with crappy automatic transmissions that would break down about 5 times before the car hit 100k? Is that an issue they solved already? I think it was mostly the TL, MDX, Accord 4cyl/6cyl, and I might be missing a few models...but to me that's a HUGE turnoff. I wouldn't even think about buying a car that had a potential problem such as transmission failure which I bet is no joke when you see the repair bill.
That is not even close to being true about the transmissions in how problematic they are, every brand has had issues with engines and transmissions, the issue were not common enough to give Honda a big hit in reliability ratings or resale. There were issues with a number Honda and Acura transmissions but it has been blown out of proportion over the internet mainly because it is a company known for reliability and those models with v6 autos were huge sellers, the issue may seem bigger from reading complaints on forums when in reality it was only a small percentage of vehicles with issues.

The replacing multiple transmissions is either bad mechanics, the dealership using bad transmissions to replace bad transmissions or people just exaggerating then the transmission design itself. I have yet to meet someone with a Acura/Honda in that period that had to replace their transmission, my parents had/have a TL and CL with the transmission that was supposed to be problematic, they never had any kind of issues and they have close to 100K miles. From what I read it was likely a batch of outside supplier pieces to the transmission that had improper tolerances/machining which led to lubrication issues, it is not the design itself or you would never see those models on the road anymore. They are warrantied to 100K miles and sometimes more, get examined to see if they are properly working, and have extra lubrication jets added so it is not going to lower Acura's/Honda's perception or reliability.

Toyota/Lexus had sludge issues with some of their engines and their was even a lawsuit to warranty them but it was still not serious enough to drop their reliability ratings by much.

Compared to most other brands Toyota engines/trans and Honda transmissions/engines are still far more reliable and durable despite having some issues with some models which is why they continue to be at the top.
Old 04-12-11, 11:37 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
That is not even close to being true about the transmissions in how problematic they are, every brand has had issues with engines and transmissions, the issue were not common enough to give Honda a big hit in reliability ratings or resale. There were issues with a number Honda and Acura transmissions but it has been blown out of proportion over the internet mainly because it is a company known for reliability and those models with v6 autos were huge sellers, the issue may seem bigger from reading complaints on forums when in reality it was only a small percentage of vehicles with issues.

The replacing multiple transmissions is either bad mechanics, the dealership using bad transmissions to replace bad transmissions or people just exaggerating then the transmission design itself. I have yet to meet someone with a Acura/Honda in that period that had to replace their transmission, my parents had/have a TL and CL with the transmission that was supposed to be problematic, they never had any kind of issues and they have close to 100K miles. From what I read it was likely a batch of outside supplier pieces to the transmission that had improper tolerances/machining which led to lubrication issues, it is not the design itself or you would never see those models on the road anymore. They are warrantied to 100K miles and sometimes more, get examined to see if they are properly working, and have extra lubrication jets added so it is not going to lower Acura's/Honda's perception or reliability.

Toyota/Lexus had sludge issues with some of their engines and their was even a lawsuit to warranty them but it was still not serious enough to drop their reliability ratings by much.

Compared to most other brands Toyota engines/trans and Honda transmissions/engines are still far more reliable and durable despite having some issues with some models which is why they continue to be at the top.
lol

So you are going to go against what everyone here has said and is common knowledge. They stink at making transmissions. The Accord/Oddessy etc have the problems too.

Guess what, some people are already reporting problems with the new 6 speed in the MDX and ZDX.

Why are you again bringing up Toyota and a non related issue? Engine sludge is not a transmission. Then it was found there was sludge b/c people were not changing their oils. Yet Toyota still agreed to help consumers.

Look there is no getting around the fact they are not great at transmissions and the TL/CL had some of the worst transmissions put in any vehicle of any year.

Old 04-12-11, 12:54 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The '01-03' Acura CL and TL did have transmission problems. Acura addressed the problem the same way that BMW is treating the HPFP issue in the N54 engine (3.0 liter twin turbo); they just replace the part when it goes bad. To Acura's credit, they did extend the warranty to 7 years, 100k miles, but not before a whole lot of them went bad and it was apparent something needed to be done.

FWIW, I helped an ex-gf buy an Acura CL-S, and it went through a couple transmissions within the warranty period. Aside from the transmission, it had no other problems through 100k+ miles.

Honda makes great transmissions - manual transmissions.