Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Ford Focus

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Interesing.

Seems like a 1.6L Hybrid Focus would do well.
Why bother with the cost and complexity of a Hybrid when an 80-MPG diesel version is coming in Europe? Problem is, like the wagon and the Turbo RS, we apparantly won't get that version here in the U.S.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-for-2012.html
Old 04-12-11, 07:57 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why bother with the cost and complexity of a Hybrid when an 80-MPG diesel version is coming in Europe? Problem is, like the wagon and the Turbo RS, we apparantly won't get that version here in the U.S.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-for-2012.html
I'm not knocking a diesel version, but when the premium is just as great as a hybrid would be and diesel fuel costs more 75 cents more that regular in my area, well the brid would make more sense to me.
Old 04-13-11, 03:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Interesing.

Seems like a 1.6L Hybrid Focus would do well.
I'm not knocking a diesel version, but when the premium is just as great as a hybrid would be and diesel fuel costs more 75 cents more that regular in my area, well the brid would make more sense to me.
OK, I'll agree, if a 1.6L gas-electric hybrid can get the same 80 MPG as the small diesel.......and it would probably be doing it on cheaper fuel.
Old 04-13-11, 04:06 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, informative review Grandmaster Flash... I mean, Mike...

Seems to be a solid bet for DD, and solid for mileage and Ford's current impressive run. Spacious, practical... nice

FYI- for my vote, have no interest in Durango R/T review (or any Dodge or Jeep) any longer due to scary rise incidents as of late (fire, steering wheel, etc.) and already tested the Citadel version... off my list for good
Old 04-13-11, 04:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Again, informative review Grandmaster Flash... I mean, Mike...
Thanks, Russ.

FYI- for my vote, have no interest in Durango R/T review (or any Dodge or Jeep) any longer due to scary rise incidents as of late (fire, steering wheel, etc.) and already tested the Citadel version... off my list for good
OK.....yours was the only request I had for a Durango R/T review, so I'll take it off my review list. The Fiat 500 is next....as soon as a Fiat shop opens up in reasonable driving-distance. The closest one, right now, is almost 50 miles, though I'll go that far if I have to.
Old 04-13-11, 05:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

80 mpg diesel? really?

That would be 80 imperial mpg on Euro Test cycle?... Probably more like 45 mpg in the US, and thats for 105hp diesel with extra long gears... it will never come to the US, as it would be too expensive. Just like it will be limited sales in Europe, for show only... regular diesel will do fine, be chaper, and have only around 5-10% larger real life consumption.

p.s. meant to quote mmarshals post :-).

Last edited by spwolf; 04-13-11 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-13-11, 08:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
80 mpg diesel? really?

That would be 80 imperial mpg on Euro Test cycle?... Probably more like 45 mpg in the US, and thats for 105hp diesel with extra long gears... it will never come to the US, as it would be too expensive. Just like it will be limited sales in Europe, for show only... regular diesel will do fine, be chaper, and have only around 5-10% larger real life consumption.

p.s. meant to quote mmarshals post :-).
VW has some small European diesels in the 1.2L range (smaller than the U.S.-spec TDI) that can, under ideal conditions, get the equivalent of 75-80 U.S. miles per gallon. Unfortunately, as you note, they are not brought into the U.S. market.

There is an 80-MPG diesel Focus, but, as you note, it is in Imperial gallons, not U.S.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-13-11 at 08:48 AM.