Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze With Detached Steering Wheel Caught On Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-11, 05:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like complexity of the various controls associated with most modern cars is an excuse for the steering wheel coming off. Let's hope they are right since they believe (or claim) it to be an "isolated incident". So many quality controls in the process failed to allow this to happen, beginning with wrong wheel/part.
Old 04-11-11, 05:48 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

imagine how scary it would be if your driving down the road and the wheel came off, i think that would be more scary than unintended acceleration.
Old 04-11-11, 06:07 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Just saw this on Yahoo and thought it was fitting...

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...-are-the-best/
Old 04-11-11, 06:22 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alucard
That's the ultimate theft detterent: make would be theives too afraid to drive your car in the first place.
Put a sticker on the window. "If you steal this car. The steering wheel might come off when you need it most. Please still the car next to me."
Old 04-11-11, 06:59 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I wont say anything about this because people could quickly come at toyota for the overblown toyota braking incidents
Old 04-11-11, 08:54 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Vitaly Petrov had a similar issue in his F1 car over the weekend! That would be a Lotus/Renault.

My steering has come off
Very lucky that there wasn't more traffic. Terrible luck for Petrov. Glad that it didn't end up more serious.
Old 04-11-11, 09:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Like complexity of the various controls associated with most modern cars is an excuse for the steering wheel coming off.
I agree that it is not a direct factor (or excuse), but the complexity....and sensitivity......certainly doesn't help. The article said that the wheel had been taken off and replaced. Some technicians and factory-workers (with reason) are very nervous removing and replacing a steering-wheel, because, if not done exactly correct, the air bag can go off right in their face, causing severe injuries. It's possible the factory-worker was so nervous he (or she) simply forgot something.

the car maker said it traced the problem with that particular car to a case in which the wrong wheel was put in a car and replaced later in the assembly process with the correct one. But the new wheel wasn’t attached properly, the car maker says.
We also don't know, when the wheel was replaced on the assembly-line, if the air-bag sensors had been installed and activated. As I just mentioned, that can make some workers nervous.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-11-11 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-11-11, 10:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that it is not a direct factor (or excuse), but the complexity....and sensitivity......certainly doesn't help. The article said that the wheel had been taken off and replaced. Some technicians (with reason) are very nervous removing and replacing a steering-wheel, because, if not done exactly correct, the air bag can go off right in their face, causing severe injuries. It's possible the technician was so nervous he (or she) simply forgot something.
That's a lot of guessing about nervous techs, etc. You missed the part about quality control processes not working that led to this. More than one incompetent tech caused this to happen and get delivered to final customer.
Old 04-11-11, 10:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
That's a lot of guessing about nervous techs, etc. You missed the part about quality control processes not working that led to this. More than one incompetent tech caused this to happen and get delivered to final customer.
Yes, GM has come a long way with quality-control in the last several years (they even make some models that I would buy), but, like a tiger's stripes, some things are still hard to change.
Old 04-11-11, 11:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,069 Likes on 2,580 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some technicians and factory-workers (with reason) are very nervous removing and replacing a steering-wheel, because, if not done exactly correct, the air bag can go off right in their face, causing severe injuries.
How does a steering wheel have to removed "exactly correct" to prevent the airbag from going off? Mind explaining that?
Old 04-11-11, 11:11 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

It was the aftermarket steering wheel covers placed over the factory steering wheel.
Old 04-11-11, 11:18 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's a video of the car in question, showing the steering wheel detached. It's really amazing that the driver/passengers were all uninjured... I can't even think of my reaction if the steering wheel were to fall off in my hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_b4V6C4aM&hd=1
Old 04-12-11, 12:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
How does a steering wheel have to removed "exactly correct" to prevent the airbag from going off? Mind explaining that?
:-)

someone didnt screw the bolt properly, end of story.
Old 04-12-11, 09:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
:-)

someone didnt screw the bolt properly, end of story.
Exactly and nobody checked the (re)work. All the other fictional speculation is just that, fictional speculation.
Old 04-12-11, 11:33 AM
LexFather

If this would have happened to a Corolla, the government would demand sexual favors from Toyota and fine them 10 million dollars and do another witcthunt..

Steering wheels falls off from government motors vehicle= oh, not an issue.

Quick Reply: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze With Detached Steering Wheel Caught On Video