Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze With Detached Steering Wheel Caught On Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 01:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
How does a steering wheel have to removed "exactly correct" to prevent the airbag from going off? Mind explaining that?
It varies from car to car. Details are given in the vehicle Service Manuals that factory-trained technicians use. But, in general, the column's air-bag sensors, or, if the sensors are somewhere else, the approved de-activation system, have to be carefully de-activated first to prevent them from being triggered. Techicians have been injured by inadvertent air-bag deployments while attempting this.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-12-11 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If this would have happened to a Corolla, the government would demand sexual favors from Toyota and fine them 10 million dollars and do another witcthunt..
Don't give them any more ideas.

Steering wheels falls off from government motors vehicle= oh, not an issue.
If more of them fall off, (not just one) it will probably be an issue.
Old 04-12-11, 01:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It varies from car to car. Details are given in the vehicle Service Manuals that factory-trained technicians use. But, in general, the column's air-bag sensors have to be carefully de-activated first to prevent them from being triggered. Techicians have been injured by inadvertent air-bag deployments while attempting this.
there are no airbag sensors in the column that i know of - what you have to do is take out connection to the airbag, which is classic clamp wire... nothing special at all.

maybe it was different 15-16 years ago.
Old 04-12-11, 01:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Exactly and nobody checked the (re)work. All the other fictional speculation is just that, fictional speculation.
Nobody, including me, is denying that. But most of the rest of what I said was not ficticious. If you don't believe me, ask a technician.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-12-11 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 02:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody, including me, is denying that. But the rest of what I said was not ficticious. If you don't believe me, ask a technician.
That's good (about not denying that).

Who knows or cares about the most of the rest of what you said if it was ficticious or not. (glad you added that most part)

No need to ask a technician (plus we at CL know the usual common knowledge and hearsay on air bag repairs by auto techs), this is not an auto technician repair issue.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-12-11 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV

No need to ask a technician (plus we at CL know the usual common knowledge and hearsay on air bag repairs by auto techs), this is not an auto technician repair issue.
Maybe everyone, including us, is making too much of it. So far, it was one isolated event, on one car, that has (apparantly) not repeated itself. If it does repeat itself, then, of course, it will be more of an issue.

Isolated defects like this can happen that are not part of a general pattern on an assembly-line. I had a Mazda, once, back in the 80s, with a rare defect in the automatic transmission that made the RPM flare on some shifts. No other car sold by that dealership had it...I just had the bad luck of the draw. Fortunately, it was handled, under warranty, by a superb Technician, with the help of a factory-engineer.
Old 04-12-11, 02:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe everyone, including us, is making too much of it. So far, it was one isolated event, on one car, that has (apparantly) not repeated itself. If it does repeat itself, then, of course, it will be more of an issue.

Isolated defects like this can happen that are not part of a general pattern on an assembly-line. I had a Mazda, once, back in the 80s, with a rare defect in the automatic transmission that made the RPM flare on some shifts. No other car sold by that dealership had it...I just had the bad luck of the draw. Fortunately, it was handled, under warranty, by a superb Technician, with the help of a factory-engineer.
Yes, that's what GM is trying to tell us. And I hope they are right.

But your little shift flare episode with the Mazda back in the day pales compared to the terrifying experience of the Cruze owner (the freakin steering wheel fell off at highway speeds). I don't think the owner wants to see if the problem repeats itself.
Old 04-13-11, 08:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default 2011 Chevrolet Cruze With Detached Steering Wheel Caught On Video

While we reported on the recall regarding the Chevrolet Cruze and its defective steering wheel issue, we didn’t realize just how severe the problem was until we saw video of the defect, and the very real consequences it could pose.

A Youtube user uploaded a video of one of the vehicles, which shows the steering wheel hanging on by a couple wires and nothing more. The car in question only had 1600 miles on it, and a mother, grandmother and 19 month infant were travelling in the vehicle when the steering wheel detached at 65 mph while travelling on a highway.

While General Motors is taking steps to fix the issue, seeing it in person raises a whole host of questions regarding the matter – namely, how the hell could this happen on a modern production car that’s otherwise well built?

Get more Chevy Cruze news and info at CruzeTalk.com

Source: AutoGuide via CruzeTalk.com

FAIL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_b4V6C4aM

Last edited by flipside909; 04-13-11 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-13-11, 08:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ryan.....we already have a thread going on this subject. You might want to get Dave or one of the mods to combine them.

This video, BTW, is a good graphic on the situation.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...e-driving.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-13-11 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-13-11, 10:53 PM
ggravant
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan.....we already have a thread going on this subject. You might want to get Dave or one of the mods to combine them.

This video, BTW, is a good graphic on the situation.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...e-driving.html
The interesting aspect of this event is how the wheel would even come off if you are just cruising at 65. I typically have slight forward pressure on the wheel, so even if it became loose and was wobbly, I think my reaction would be to keep even forward pressure on it and slow down and pull over - not pull it towards myself.

I could see it coming off if you were backing out of a parking space, looking backward and spinning the wheel with one hand or something like that.

I am not suggesting that the wheel was OK and not loose - I just find it unlikely that it would pop off into your lap just cruising down the highway.
Old 04-14-11, 09:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

wait, didnt GM say that it was only one vehicle and it was fixed?

lol... some things never change and one of them is GM just lying about everything they ever do.
Old 04-14-11, 09:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

imagine if that happened to Toyota instead of RX400h stuck floormat in ES350.
Old 04-14-11, 09:28 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If this would have happened to a Corolla, the government would demand sexual favors from Toyota and fine them 10 million dollars and do another witcthunt..

Steering wheels falls off from government motors vehicle= oh, not an issue.
like I mentioned before, an F student (GM) getting a D or even a C is "most improved", while an A student gets an A-/B+ is the end of the world
Old 04-14-11, 12:38 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Reminds me of the old saying "look for the union label", here is a classic example of what government and union ownership of what was formerly private enterprise, provide.
Old 04-14-11, 12:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
imagine if that happened to Toyota instead of RX400h stuck floormat in ES350.
Originally Posted by GS3Tek
like I mentioned before, an F student (GM) getting a D or even a C is "most improved", while an A student gets an A-/B+ is the end of the world
Bingo. Bingo.