Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got a new SL63 AMG for our Daughter's 16th birthday! Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 11:06 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! Wish i had that nice of a car at 16!
Old 04-15-11, 11:11 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

........................I come in here for nothing, I was expecting nice pics & spoiled daddy's girl!!
Old 04-16-11, 09:38 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new Elantra. That blue color is stunning. I test drove one last week and I was very impressed. This car is way nicer than my old '08 Mazda 3s.
Old 04-16-11, 10:19 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

lucky...what i got for my 16th was a 1984 (12yr old) subaru wagon... beat up but passed to me from someone in the family... but i enjoyed learning every button in that car.. being it was my first car.... must be nice to get a new car....
Old 04-16-11, 10:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Got a new SL63 AMG for our Daughter's 16th birthday! Pics!

(JK)

Lindsay Lohan has had two SL63's for real...........and wrecked both of them with DWIs. Just imagine how her parents felt.

Anyhow, congragulations on the new Elantra. A good compact daily-driver.....hard to go wrong with it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-11 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 10:45 PM
needis
Driver School Candidate

Great beginner car.
Old 04-16-11, 10:46 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lindsay Lohan has had two SL63's for real...........and wrecked both of them with DWIs. Just imagine how her parents felt.
That they'd have a couple fewer cars to sponge off of her? That it might affect their ability to continue to sponge off of her career? That they might not be able to stay in the tabloids while she was off in jail or rehab? That's just off the top of my head about what they might be thinking...certainly not about her well being in any case or stretch of the imagination.

And OP, congrats on a good purchase. That's a pretty nice present for a 16 YO. I never got a car from my parents, but I'm proud of that. I worked and bought mines, but to each his/her own.

I'm curious about the mileage, too, as my sister is contemplating a new car and wants excellent gas mileage as opposed to her current one of 14 GPM (it seems that way, at least...), and the C & D mileage was only 20?? (Per Lexbob's post)

Big Mack
Old 04-17-11, 05:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
That they'd have a couple fewer cars to sponge off of her? That it might affect their ability to continue to sponge off of her career? That they might not be able to stay in the tabloids while she was off in jail or rehab? That's just off the top of my head about what they might be thinking...certainly not about her well being in any case or stretch of the imagination.

And OP, congrats on a good purchase. That's a pretty nice present for a 16 YO. I never got a car from my parents, but I'm proud of that. I worked and bought mines, but to each his/her own.

I'm curious about the mileage, too, as my sister is contemplating a new car and wants excellent gas mileage as opposed to her current one of 14 GPM (it seems that way, at least...), and the C & D mileage was only 20?? (Per Lexbob's post)

Big Mack
I was surprised to see the 20 mpg overall in the C&D comparo. CR also said something similar that the Elantra came in below the EPA averages in their test. It was still very class competitive, but not as high as expected.
Old 04-17-11, 07:06 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
I'm curious about the mileage, too, as my sister is contemplating a new car and wants excellent gas mileage as opposed to her current one of 14 GPM (it seems that way, at least...), and the C & D mileage was only 20??

Big Mack
14 Gallons per minute? Mind sharing what she drives

To the OP, good on you to get your daughter a new car, I my family isn't fortunate enough to buy me a new car when I was 16, but still, it's the thought that counts .
Old 04-17-11, 06:38 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jewcano
A Mack truck, I think.

And congrats to the OP's daughter.
Old 04-17-11, 06:50 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Anyhow, congragulations on the new Elantra. A good compact daily-driver.....hard to go wrong with it.
Mike, how are you so confident when you say that?
Don't get me wrong, I value your opinion, but that car JUST hit the market. It has absolutely no history, the Hyundai entity as a whole has VERY little positive history. I am aware that they are doing alot better now then several years ago, but we still don't know how "new" Hyundai will last in the long-term. Most manufacturers will claim they make awesome products, because they have to in order to get sales...and at first their cars are very impressive. Positive reviews will hit magazines and people will go and bu the product. But what people need to understand is that the review is of a BRAND NEW car that has no wear on it. Only time will really tell how these products stand up to high miles, and use (or abuse).
Old 04-17-11, 08:29 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Don't get me wrong, I value your opinion, but that car JUST hit the market. It has absolutely no history, the Hyundai entity as a whole has VERY little positive history. I am aware that they are doing alot better now then several years ago, but we still don't know how "new" Hyundai will last in the long-term. Most manufacturers will claim they make awesome products, because they have to in order to get sales...and at first their cars are very impressive. Positive reviews will hit magazines and people will go and bu the product. But what people need to understand is that the review is of a BRAND NEW car that has no wear on it. Only time will really tell how these products stand up to high miles, and use (or abuse).
Hyundai's already have an established track record. I'd consider only Toyota and Honda to make more trouble free cars for the long haul. I did a quick search for some examples. And these models are before Hyundai really turned it around with the Genesis, 2010 Sonata, 2011 Elantra, and Equus. These latest cars are twice as well built than these 200K+ examples. And do you really think Hyundai would started their 10 year warranties years ago if they thought they'd be screwing themselves?
Even Toyota and Honda won't take that risk.

I'd even say that Hyundai would go longer than a Nissan or Mazda and yes, I know how long they last.

2002 Accent - 250,000 miles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyC6HkU7EPg

2006 Sonata - 200,000 miles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNpxjQJH_rM

2002 Sonata - 200,000 miles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtA7-yXLTPo

2001 Santa Fe for sale - 200,000 miles
http://www.lemonfree.com/KM8SC83D71U082358.html?wfvar=0
Old 04-17-11, 08:48 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I was going more for gallons per mile, but same diff...

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
A Mack truck, I think.
How'd you know???

She has a Navigator. Thing is a beast and I told her not to get it considering how poor the mileage was in her EB Expedition, but she insisted on another full size (and gas guzzling) SUV. Such an impractical ride, especially since it's fully decked out and has the center console in the rear, too, meaning it legitimately can only seat 6 - provided 2 are midgets. It's appalling, really...

It certainly doesn't help that she has no idea how to slowly accelerate, how to slowly brake to a stop, or do anything that might improve the mileage. Oh well...she's looking now for something that doesn't take $120 to fill for 5 days worth of driving.

Big Mack
Old 04-17-11, 09:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
OK, you may have gotten me on a small typo. Lohan had two SL65 AMG's, not SL63's.....and wrecked them with her boozing.

Here's a shot, BTW, of one of them being towed:

Elantras, in general, have had a good reliability record for a number of years now....and have done well in Consumer Reports testing and in government crash-testing. Consumer Reports shows its reliability better or much-better-than-average going back to at least 2005. It is true that the 2011 model has an all-new body/interior and some other significant differences (and the 2011 Elantra Wagon is substantially different from the new sedan), but Consumer Reports still feels confident enough to recommend it. I agree. Mechanically, I would consider a new Elantra myself if I was in the market for a compact sedan/wagon, but I don't care for the new styling....too much like the new Sonata's styling, which I also don't care for.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-17-11 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 09:42 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Great choice on a new car for your daughter. I hope she enjoys it. Definitely a good buy.

Unlike some folks, I am not here announcing any level of hierarchy, I just want to voice that they are in fact making some of the "best bang for the buck" vehicles, and backing them up w/ awesome warranties. Some are just die hard enthusiasts for their brand name vehicles, which is respectable but even I as a "honda" owner do not profess it's the ultimate in it's class. I'm an open minded person, I take everything with a grain of salt and feel Failure to acknowledge "change/improvement" because of brand name is just ignorance.

These companies kia/hyundai have really stepped up what they bring to the table in the past few years. I was a technician for hyundai ( also nissan, bmw, toyota, dodge/jeep/chrysler/ ), When they began the design of the genesis sedan...short story I was impressed. Yes impressed by hyundai despite their early 90's plague. They actually compared it to the new lexus LS class and just about had it beat in every aspect. I was not their to witness anything past that, or real road testing but the data was impressive for int. ext. eng. & cargo figures.

Again congrats on the purchase,
Joel.

Quick Reply: Got a new SL63 AMG for our Daughter's 16th birthday! Pics!