Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Corolla vs Jetta (the guy from VW is bashing Toyota)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 10:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Each car both have their advantages and disadvantages. Reliability isn't the only thing people care about. Some lease their cars so they don't give a damn about long term reliability, but they do care about interior fit and finish.

It's a salesmen' tactic and it happens with every brand. It's a common practice to highlight your advantages and ignore the disadvantages when you're on camera. One thing I do have to say though is that despite the Corolla having a flimsy trunk, it still is a safe car. The gas struts are just one of the neat features, but defintiely not crucial for safety.
common practices for who? watch Lexus comparing CT200h and A3... it is very different from above.
Old 04-15-11, 10:08 AM
Akachan LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do think that VW does tend to appear to use some high gauge steel in their cars. And their fit and finish in many of their models has been impressive. But for some reason they refuse to make their cars reliable. But even if I only keep the car during the warranty period, I still would not want to have to be bothered making repeated visits to the service department for unscheduled service, especially considering how much money is invested into it.

I'm not really sold on the gas struts used on the trunks of cars today. Sure they save some space, but they are just one more thing to go wrong. They will need replacing at some point unlike traditional hinges.

I did not hear any vibration when the doors were closed on the Corolla that the salesman spoke of. I've personally closed them myself. They close with a solid "thunk." And what was that wire hanging down from the trunk in the Corolla? It looked like it was purposely placed there. And as far as long-term durability in the real world is concerned, I see many more 25-30 year old Corollas still on the road than VW Jettas.
Old 04-15-11, 10:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
common practices for who? watch Lexus comparing CT200h and A3... it is very different from above.
Common for salesmen in dealerships. The very individual will try to sell the car regardless if he/she works for Toyota, Volkswagon, or even Lambo. That's their job and it's very obvious they aren't going to preach about their competitor's offering. If they do, then they aren't good salesmen at all.
Old 04-15-11, 11:09 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Common for salesmen in dealerships. The very individual will try to sell the car regardless if he/she works for Toyota, Volkswagon, or even Lambo. That's their job and it's very obvious they aren't going to preach about their competitor's offering. If they do, then they aren't good salesmen at all.
^^^ Agree, salesman are there to sale car, advertisment are there to promo & sale their brand!!
Old 04-15-11, 12:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Akachan LS
I do think that VW does tend to appear to use some high gauge steel in their cars. And their fit and finish in many of their models has been impressive. But for some reason they refuse to make their cars reliable. But even if I only keep the car during the warranty period, I still would not want to have to be bothered making repeated visits to the service department for unscheduled service, especially considering how much money is invested into it.

I'm not really sold on the gas struts used on the trunks of cars today. Sure they save some space, but they are just one more thing to go wrong. They will need replacing at some point unlike traditional hinges.

I did not hear any vibration when the doors were closed on the Corolla that the salesman spoke of. I've personally closed them myself. They close with a solid "thunk." And what was that wire hanging down from the trunk in the Corolla? It looked like it was purposely placed there. And as far as long-term durability in the real world is concerned, I see many more 25-30 year old Corollas still on the road than VW Jettas.
they all use thin steel in crumple zones and high strength steel where it is needed. it has nothing to do at all with quality, reliability, longetivity or security. Maybe only with stupidity.

:-).

I bet if he tried new Jetta it would show very different traits.
Old 04-15-11, 12:17 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
they all use thin steel in crumple zones and high strength steel where it is needed. it has nothing to do at all with quality, reliability, longetivity or security. Maybe only with stupidity.

:-).

I bet if he tried new Jetta it would show very different traits.
Amen. I bet that guy also thinks that muscle cars and older cars from the 50's and 60's are also safer then new cars because they use thicker steel. Boy is he in for a surprise.
Old 04-15-11, 12:19 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

on style and personality alone I would by a jetta (the new one) over a corolla anyday
Old 04-15-11, 12:32 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
on style and personality alone I would by a jetta (the new one) over a corolla anyday
I agree!
Old 04-15-11, 12:44 PM
seanlee
Driver

lolz.
people who buy basic corolla/jetta cannot afford high maintenance, in the cost or in time.

and that is what people are looking for.
Old 04-15-11, 01:34 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i know the corolla is built very cheaply, and fit n finish is average.

but 15 years from now, that VW will have broken down already...... 5 years earlier.

put the corolla mechanicals into a jetta, and we have a winner.
Old 04-15-11, 01:36 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Can I get a big discount on that bang up Corolla he use as demo?
Old 04-15-11, 02:01 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i know the corolla is built very cheaply, and fit n finish is average.

but 15 years from now, that VW will have broken down already...... 5 years earlier.

put the corolla mechanicals into a jetta, and we have a winner.
That's the whole point of the corolla....

Simple engineering = easier for mechanics to repair = less time spent on labor = cheaper for the client to maintain and repair.

Try working on that VW.... I guarantee it is a pain in the ***.
Old 04-15-11, 02:03 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

After watching this video I realized why Toyota is so much more reliable than Volkswagen because the German company spent so much effort on something the sales agent could brag about in front of the potential customers and totally ignore what the important parts are - the mechanical of a car. Not the hinges or the seal or if the back seat shakes LOL. So what if your thumb could dig into the fender, I don't see Corolla getting fail in crash test. How old is this video anyway, the guy was comparing a 06 Jetta to a 09 Corolla? I wonder if he dares to bring out the 11' Jetta.
Old 04-15-11, 02:10 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
After watching this video I realized why Toyota is so much more reliable than Volkswagen because the German company spent so much effort on something the sales agent could brag about in front of the potential customers and totally ignore what the important parts are - the mechanical of a car. Not the hinges or the seal or if the back seat shakes LOL. So what if your thumb could dig into the fender, I don't see Corolla getting fail in crash test. How old is this video anyway, the guy was comparing a 06 Jetta to a 09 Corolla? I wonder if he dares to bring out the 11' Jetta.
That's not the only issue with VW....

They fail to understand that the average buyer in this market could care less about sturdy trunk shocks or solid sheet metal. They want a car that is:

Comfortable to drive
Affordable to maintain
Reliable in the long-run
And good on gas

MOST buyers in this segment are not looking for a car that has superior chassis welding, "SPORTS" suspension, over-engineered components,or race-car handling. They want a daily driver that will get them from point a to point b and preferably out of the shop as much as possible.

Go for a drive and as an experiment count how many older corollas and camry's you will see on the road and compare that number to how many older VW models ALTOGETHER you see on the road.
Old 04-15-11, 02:26 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I've driven a few jettas, all ranging from 2000 to 2009 with anywhere from 147k miles to 15k miles and while they are ok, they aren't as solid as this makes them out to be (or what you would expect from a german car) Good cars, but not great

Quick Reply: Corolla vs Jetta (the guy from VW is bashing Toyota)