Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Corolla vs Jetta (the guy from VW is bashing Toyota)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 02:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i know the corolla is built very cheaply, and fit n finish is average.

but 15 years from now, that VW will have broken down already...... 5 years earlier.

put the corolla mechanicals into a jetta, and we have a winner.
well let it be said that the difference is toyota spending their money in mechanicals and VW spending their money on hinges.

hence you have ZR series engine with double-vvti in cheapo Corolla while more expensive Jetta ends up with 2.0l 8v unit from who knows when... my fathers Golf MK3 in.... 1996? had the same engine as 2011 Jetta.
Old 04-15-11, 02:53 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Resale value is also something to consider.... Corollas are basically KING in that division.
Old 04-15-11, 03:02 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have to say though, this video was somewhat funny.

especially when he shakes the back seat.

i would never touch a VW except as a rental.
Old 04-15-11, 03:08 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

That's what pissed me off the most...the guy was completely out of line and unprofessional majority of the time. Hell....if Toyota compared their reliability to that of VW's and did a shop tour that showed all these broken down VW's and they did so in the same unprofessional manner.... they'd look like a bunch of bullies. They're not going to do that because they got nothing to prove to VW.
Old 04-15-11, 03:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

heh, not to mention the door seals - toyota and lexus seals can be easily removed and put back, with one finger... nothing wrong with that at all, one point about toyota, is that big consideration is placed on ease of repair and toyota constantly gets rated as easiest car to work on... germans are notoriusly bad for hard to remove plastics which then get broken, scratched, etc, etc.

not sure about seat, never had toyota where the back seat was like that... and i have had every new toyota in europe for the past 7-8 years, including yaris, auris, rav4, all had folding seats too.
Old 04-15-11, 03:51 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Your buddy is smoking crack...and you are smocking crack for believing a word of that bs....

Let's hear WHY the VW is better in every respect.... Don't make claims like that and leave it open. I've worked for VW for a few years and they are the biggest piles of **** on the road. They break down every week and a few times a month if you are lucky. And they have alot more issues then electrical. They're just bad cars. When I worked at Toyota.... 90% of all the Corollas only came in for regular scheduled maintenance and oil changes. Now tell me what's a better car.
Dude you worked VW awsome . Let me guess service department? Cool! I havent heard of a person bring a working car to service department ever besides service maybe toyota owners are different.
Old 04-15-11, 04:22 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the back seat was definitely not normal. That thing is missing a bolt somewhere.
Old 04-15-11, 07:17 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

the back seat was definitely not normal. That thing is missing a bolt somewhere.
nothing like reviewing a used car with an unknown history, must be a vw dealer
Old 04-15-11, 08:00 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I want to see this same guy review a supercar made of fiberglass or another carbon material and say that it's worse then the GTi because VW's structural integrity is far better.... haha.
Old 04-15-11, 08:11 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Notice how they used the last gen Jetta which was a more expensive car than the new Jetta. VW cheapened the new one, interestingly enough, to compete more in line with the Corolla class as VW was desperate for more sales.

Regardless, a Corolla will last twice as long as "the better built" Jetta. And for the Jetta to last just half as long, it will require 10X more service/repairs.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 04-15-11 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-15-11, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Notice how they used the last gen Jetta which was a more expensive car than the new Jetta. VW cheapened the new one, interestingly enough, to compete more in line with the Corolla class as VW was desperate for more sales.

Regardless, a Corolla will last twice as long as "the better built" Jetta. And for the Jetta to last just half as long, it will required 10X more service/repairs.
The new Jetta is terrible, hard to believe its all new for 2011. Its on par with a 1995 Corolla.

http://pressroom.consumerreports.org...sappoints.html
Consumer Reports ripped it and it was last in C&D in a recent comparo where the Focus won (it was actually a really good article by them)

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...s-katy-perry/1

Release Date: 04/05/2011

New Volkswagen Jetta disappoints

The newly redesigned Volkswagen Jetta now ranks last among the 11 small sedans that have been tested by Consumer Reports. Engineers found fault with its agility, cornering grip, coarse engine, braking, interior fit and finish, and so-so fuel economy.

“The new Jetta is unimpressive,” said David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports’ Auto Test Center in East Haddam, CT. “In an effort to bring the car’s starting price down, VW cheapened the previous Jetta’s interior and suspension, making it less sophisticated and compromising handling.”

The four-vehicle small sedan test group also featured two versions of the new Chevrolet Cruze—which CR found light-years ahead of the crude Chevrolet Cobalt that it replaced -- and the latest generation Hyundai Elantra.

The Cruze now ranks mid-pack among the 11 small sedans tested, with a Very Good overall score. The two versions tested handled nicely and felt substantial. But a tight rear seat and so-so fuel economy for this class reduced the Cruze’s overall scores.

Consumer Reports' findings on the newly redesigned Elantra were highlighted last month in CR’s Annual Auto Issue, where it was named a Top Pick in its category. It currently ranks as the best small sedan that’s been tested by the publication, followed by the Nissan Sentra, Subaru Impreza and Toyota Corolla, in descending order. The Sentra, Impreza and Corolla had all been tested previously. The redesigned Ford Focus just went on sale; Consumer Reports will be testing one in the months ahead.

Prices for the small sedans tested in this group ranged from $18,375 for the Cruze LS to $20,530 for the Cruze LT.

The issue also features a test of the redesigned Scion tC coupe and ratings of car batteries including four from a new lower-cost line of batteries called PlusStart that performed well.

The Elantra is the only vehicle in the test group that is Recommended. The Cruze LS, Scion tC, and Volkswagen Jetta scored too low to be Recommended. The Cruze LT is too new for Consumer Reports to have adequate reliability data to Recommend. Consumer Reports only recommends vehicles that have performed well in its tests, have at least average predicted reliability based on CR’s Annual Auto Survey of its more than seven million print and Web subscribers, and performed at least adequately if crash-tested or included in a government rollover test.

The wagon version of the Jetta, called the SportWagen, is based on the previous generation of the vehicle; the SportWagen is still Recommended.

Full tests and ratings for all five of these test vehicles appear in the May issue of Consumer Reports, which goes on sale April 5th. The reports are also available to subscribers of www.ConsumerReports.org. Updated daily, ConsumerReports.org is the go-to site for the latest auto reviews, product news, blogs on breaking news and car buying information.

The redesigned Hyundai Elantra combines nimble handling with a comfortable, well-controlled ride. The interior is well equipped and neatly laid out. Quick, responsive steering and little body lean help the Elantra feel agile. Emergency handling is very secure. The Elantra GLS ($18,445 MSRP as tested,) is powered by a 148-hp, 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine that provides decent performance and gets 29 mpg overall in CR’s own fuel economy tests. The six-speed automatic transmission shifts smoothly and responsively. Braking is Very Good. Fit and finish is good for the class. The trunk is spacious. CR expects reliability to be above average like the previous Elantra.

The Chevrolet Cruze handles nicely and has a taut and controlled ride. Its relatively heavy weight—as much as some larger mid-sized family sedans—hampers fuel economy and acceleration. The Cruze LS ($18,375 MSRP as tested), is powered by a 138-hp, 1.8-liter four cylinder engine. The uplevel Chevrolet Cruze LT ($20,530 MSRP as tested,) is powered by a 138-hp 1.4 liter turbocharged four cylinder. Both engines perform adequately and get 26 mpg overall, but the LT’s engine is more responsive and refined. The six-speed automatic transmission shifts smoothly. Braking is Very Good. The well-finished cabin is one of the nicest in this class, but the rear seat is tight. There is a good-sized trunk. Some popular and important features, like power mirrors, are unavailable on the Cruze LS.

The redesigned Volkswagen Jetta is a shadow of the agile, well-finished car it once was. The rear seat is roomier and the trunk is huge, but handling agility and cornering grip now fall short, as does the finish inside the formerly impeccable interior. The Jetta SE ($20,800 MSRP as tested), is powered by a coarse-sounding 170-hp, 2.5-liter five-cylinder engine that gives adequate acceleration and gets 25 mpg overall. The six-speed automatic transmission can be slow to downshift. Braking distances are long. Cargo space can be expanded by folding the 60/40 rear seatback.

The redesigned Scion tC is a well-equipped coupe that provides responsive handling as well as very good fuel economy and acceleration. A jittery ride, noisy cabin, and limited rear visibility are low points. The Scion tC ($19,165 MSRP as tested), is powered by a 180-hp, 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that is responsive and gets an impressive 28 mpg. The six-speed manual transmission shifts precisely, and effortlessly, but it lacks the sporty feel of the best shifters. Braking is Very Good. Fit and finish are unimpressive. Cargo space is good and the 60/40-split rear seatbacks fold to create a generous hatchback bay.

Old 04-15-11, 08:52 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I love my Wolf... 15,800 miles with 1-year anniversary next week, knock on wood, not a problem yet after the passenger window seal was fixed Week 1... free oil/maint to 36K miles

34 mpg highway (at 75-80) and tons of smiles... oh yeah, base stereo and it rocks!!!
That's why your project hasn't funded yet Russ.

You already struck gold with your reliable VW. Haven't you heard? Lightning doesn't strike twice.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I can't be bothered to listen to another lame car salesperson.
+1000000

Gets tiring talking to salespeople that know less about the cars they're selling than you do.

(Though Porsche has been the exception to this so far )

Agreed.

I actually saw a really cool GTI the other day, but VW doesn't have anything that I'd actually consider buying.
Old 04-15-11, 08:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The typical BS salesman is using a used and old Corolla. Take any older car and you'll find lose things. And how do we know he didn't stage that lose window molding? You know he had to test it prior, which of course helped it come off more. Further, my aunt has a similar Corolla and the rear seats do not swivel like his.

Having said that, I have had seat time in both cars and I can attest the Germans focus on different things compared to the Asian cars (and vice versa). The VW's and Audis are built heavy, solid, and handle very well. But as mentioned, their electronics suck. The Asian cars get the electronics right, but to me skimp on solidity, perceived strength, and feeling the road. One's a no-worry commuter car and the other is a driver's car with all the high-strung maintenance to go along with it's abilities. There are people out there who like one or the other and that's why both these cars sell well.
Old 04-15-11, 09:22 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The typical BS salesman is using a used and old Corolla. Take any older car and you'll find lose things. And how do we know he didn't stage that lose window molding? You know he had to test it prior, which of course helped it come off more. Further, my aunt has a similar Corolla and the rear seats do not swivel like his.

Having said that, I have had seat time in both cars and I can attest the Germans focus on different things compared to the Asian cars (and vice versa). The VW's and Audis are built heavy, solid, and handle very well. But as mentioned, their electronics suck. The Asian cars get the electronics right, but to me skimp on solidity, perceived strength, and feeling the road. One's a no-worry commuter car and the other is a driver's car with all the high-strung maintenance to go along with it's abilities. There are people out there who like one or the other and that's why both these cars sell well.
Very accurate and well said.
Old 04-15-11, 09:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminds me of an local (ex) Mercedes salesperson discussing Lexus versus Mercedes with me. He kept going on and on about a Lexus owner experiencing a persistent rattle in console. I quickly got away from this guy being unwilling to even waste another minute with him.

Quick Reply: Corolla vs Jetta (the guy from VW is bashing Toyota)