Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How riding a Vespa can help National Security

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 08:54 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How riding a Vespa can help National Security

HFL News Link

Scooters are effeminate, a bit silly and just not serious transportation, right? Well, what if riding one could decrease the risk of future wars and save you money? It’s estimated that if just 10 percent of American car drivers shifted just 33 percent of their miles onto scooters by 2020, national gasoline consumption would be reduced by 3.9 billion gallons per year. That’s 198 million fewer barrels of oil we’ll need to import each year equalling a $21.4 billion saving.

The figures come from Vespa as part of a mature, powerful pro-scooter use message. Vespa doesn’t want you to get rid of your Hummer, they want you to shift a portion of your annual mileage onto two wheels and want to demonstrate to you the savings you could make personally and the savings we would make nation wide.

That’s the idea with the Venn diagram above. Transferring some of your miles onto a scooter will save you money. Figuring the fuel consumption difference between the average 75mpg Vespa an a 21mpg SUV (which is actually pretty good for an SUV), your average fuel consumption can improve to 48mpg, which is on-par with a Toyota Prius. Unlike that Prius, your Vespa won’t get stuck in traffic. Figuring 15,000 miles-per-year, doing 50 percent of your miles on two wheels will reduce your annual fuel consumption from 714 gallons to just 312. At $3.67 a gallon, that reduces your annual fuel expenditure from $2,620 to $1,145. You’ll also save money on tires and other consumables and save time spent in traffic.

The message is uniquely fitting for Americans who are reluctant to give up the ability to haul large numbers of screaming children or take extremely long road trips, no matter how infrequently they do either. Owning both a scooter and a car would give Joe and Sally Average the best of both worlds. They can retain the ability to wish they did things like extreme kayaking on the weekends while saving money on gas on weekdays.

Vespa is also keyed into the national consciousness in a more meaningful way than the average bike maker. Reducing national gasoline consumption by 3.9 billion gallons a year only represents a 2.8 percent decrease from current levels, but it’s a step in the right direction of a goal created by President Obama to reduce foreign oil imports by 1/3 by 2025. Making their products relevant to the discussions taking place on national news and at water coolers is extremely powerful marketing.

Making this campaign stand out even more in an industry which typically can’t fog a mirror with its advertising is a strong message about the need to pass pro-bike legislation in order to reap the benefits two-wheeled transportation can bring to our country. You can agree that reducing national oil consumption is a desirable goal, right? Well then you need to install some scooter parking to help make that happen.

As a whole, this is a strong brand message linking Vespa to the idea of a green, affordable transportation future and making the attainment of that transportation as painless as possible while presenting a message that’s positive for all motorcycles and scooters. If every motorcycle company could make their products relevant in such a powerful way, motorcycling would likely be taken far more seriously in this country.

Old 04-15-11, 09:29 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will never happen. It be nice to see the figures if everyone in major cities kicked the habit of driving and started walking or riding a bike or taking public transit to where they had to go. I know its easier said then done. We don't live in a utopian society and will never live in one.

Last edited by JessePS; 04-15-11 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-15-11, 09:32 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

how cute lol
Old 04-15-11, 09:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds great, if the risk of severe injuries or death aren't important.
Old 04-15-11, 09:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
This will never happen.
I just found the article hilarious.

What works for Europe does not work in the U.S.
Old 04-15-11, 10:23 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Living in a northern state, I don't see 50% scooter use as practical - unless 50% of your total annual mileage represents summertime commuting and joy riding. An electric car as a second car does make some sense, though.

That said, a buddy of mine has been doing something similar with two wheels. For the past couple years they had only a Ford Explorer and his motorcycle. (I bought his pickup.) He took the bus to work 90% of the time and his wife drove the Explorer. He retired this winter and his wife continued working, so he drove her on days he wanted to have the Explorer. Now that spring is here, he rides his motorcycle everywhere on weekdays and doesn't have to hear his wife lecture about "Motorcycle = death machine" before each ride.
Old 04-15-11, 10:32 AM
Koma

During nice weather seasons I take my bicycle to work and the gym 2-3 days a week. Reducing my weekly gas consumption by approximately 1.2-1.8 gallons. I get a workout, save some gas money and put less miles on my car.
When my body is up for it I'll increase the amount of travel on a bike to work.

Don't Vespas cost a pretty penny though? The $1500 figure you save in gas a year does that even cover the cost of the scooter?

I want to buy a motorcycle. I know it saves gas but I know it's still an end outcome of more money being spent. Even bicycling to work costs money (gotta buy a bike and gear).

I mean it's a neat idea but not everyone can do it. My round trip commute to work, gym, home is 15 miles. Not everyone lives that close to their work.
Old 04-15-11, 10:50 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

I'll be buying a bike for commuting to work for the spring and summer but it aint going to be a gay vespa lol i got a 45mile round trip daily commute, I'm thinking a nice Harley Road Glide with ape hangers should do the trick, or I could alway buy my roomates 06 RC51
Old 04-15-11, 01:59 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, I ride a Vespa and I'm proud of it. There is NOTHING better for getting around a busy downtown to get to and from work. I have a 2011 RX 450h for the winter months when there is snow or ice on the roads. But once it warms up you'll find me riding to work on my Vespa. I save a ****load of gas by riding it and I can park on the street for free where I'd have to pay if I parked my RX. Make fun of people riding scooters if you want, but for getting around the city, you cannot beat them. I easily save 20% on my driving time by riding the Vespa. As well, I can easily ride on the highway as I can hit 140 km/hr on it.
Old 04-15-11, 03:40 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rather get a Piagio MP3