Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

European Identity Crisis for Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 09:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Link please.

The Lexus hybrid only sells because it is more efficient than its gasoline sibling. If Lexus offered a diesel RX in Europe it would most likely outsell the hybrid.

And I am uninformed? I could say the same thing about you and some of your comments.
you have some very bad misconceptions about hybrids... unless you are going over 100mph on the highway, hybrid is going to get better mileage... thats only thing that german mags tend to say against RX and GS when it comes to fuel consumption.

Not to mention that rest of europe has speed limits anyway.

I guess I understand since you do live in Germany and they will not write too good about hybrids until BMW/VW/MB have good ones :-). But even they do.
Old 04-20-11, 09:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Q7 3.0 TDI vs 450h:
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/audi-...0h-935875.html

80-120 km / h 6.2s 4.9 s
Test consumption - 9,7 l 8.5
Old 04-20-11, 01:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe Hybrids in Europe has some sort of tax deductions. I know in London you don't have to pay congestion charge. They might also have a "green pass" to drive at HOV lanes in some locations.
Old 04-20-11, 01:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Do you like Guinnees?

While I'm doing all this arguing, I much prefer Euro beers, wine from France, Liquor from France(grand mariner ftw), Mirmosa's from Spain , Sweeden, etc etc etc

And I think some Euro country bought Budweiser bought Budweiser

I insisted my last set of Goodyears were from the German plant, the H&R springs for the ES are from Germany, my TTE wheels are made in Germany etc etc

I'm a Japanese owning, Euro parts hybrid modder
I'm not big on dark beers, I just recently started appreciating them. My favorite beers are Polish Zywiec from the tap and Japanese Saporo in metal cans.
Old 04-20-11, 01:03 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

hybrids dont have to pay london congestion charges and also something about paying less if its a company car
Old 04-20-11, 01:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
hybrids dont have to pay london congestion charges and also something about paying less if its a company car
Correct and the CT I think has the lowest possible taxes in class in regards to emissions etc....

There are still a lot of misconceptions about hybrids not just in Europe but here as well.

Then we get to see another double standard. Gas MPG in mags where diesels win= correct. Gas MPG where hybrids do better= not trustworthy

Old 04-20-11, 02:03 PM
DFGeneer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I think the different conditions in different markets will give different results. The daily driving conditions in America and Europe are very different.

In German magazine tests a Lexus hybrid was the clear winner in urban fuel economy. In overall conditions though, the diesels performed better. So while a BMW X5 3.0d might achieve say 9 L / 100 km overall, the Lexus RX hybrid would achieve 10 L / 100 km overall.

Also, magazine tests are in my opinion not trustworthy. I simply don't trust the way they test gas mileage. There are to many variables and factors affecting fuel economy. The best gas mileage claims always come from the consumers. And here, once again, different variables also come into play such as driving style, tire pressure, A/C usage, headlight usage etc. The results will always vary. But still, I trust these claims more than those from the EPA or magazines.
Well, I gave you links to data from real consumers showing the hybrid getting better real world fuel economy, yet you insist it is the opposite?
I agree there are many variables, but still, whats the chance you are right and those numbers from the consumers are wrong?

Originally Posted by spwolf
Interesting article.
Now that the hybrid shows better numbers, they find it "not as clean" as the diesel, since it only came with Euro 4 certification. If one looks at the numbers, the RX450h would easily pass Euro 6, yet it is "not as clean" according to the mag. I find it very dishonorable to falsely accuse a new technology for not being what it is supposed to be in the first place.

No, I don't think thats objective journalism.
Old 04-20-11, 02:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DFGeneer
Well, I gave you links to data from real consumers showing the hybrid getting better real world fuel economy, yet you insist it is the opposite?
I agree there are many variables, but still, whats the chance you are right and those numbers from the consumers are wrong?

Interesting article.
Now that the hybrid shows better numbers, they find it "not as clean" as the diesel, since it only came with Euro 4 certification. If one looks at the numbers, the RX450h would easily pass Euro 6, yet it is "not as clean" according to the mag. I find it very dishonorable to falsely accuse a new technology for not being what it is supposed to be in the first place.

As I said before, main problem for Lexus is lack of options... check the pricing:
Price 57 825 € * 67 900 € **

So RX450h is 10k Euros more expensive than Q7! Sure, it has a lot more equipment and yes it is a lot faster... but average person would like RX300h-RX350h much better!
Old 04-20-11, 04:26 PM
DFGeneer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Yes, completely agree on that one. Lexus definitely needs broader range to have better sales.
But it really seems they don't care that much about european sales.
Old 04-20-11, 04:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DFGeneer

Interesting article.

AMEN!!!'