Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The shine is off the new GM for investors

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 08:37 AM
LexFather

Post The shine is off the new GM for investors

Shocking....

DETROIT (Bloomberg) -- The new General Motors made its Wall Street debut with much fanfare last November. The initial public offering that was supposed to max out at about $10 billion ended up raising more than double that amount.

CEO Dan Akerson had a good story to tell: The Detroit automaker had posted a $4.8 billion profit for the nine months ended Sept. 30, and new models like the Chevrolet Equinox and Cadillac SRX SUV were selling well. Two weeks after the IPO, GM was worth just $1.6 billion less than Ford Motor Co., and by mid-January the stock ran up 20 percent, to almost $40 a share, giving GM a value of $59.3 billion.

GM's feel-good moment didn't last. Since the beginning of January the stock has fallen more than 18 percent, to close Friday at $30.24 a share, which is $2.76 below its IPO price. GM's market valuation now trails Ford's by almost $8 billion. Analysts fret about the churn in GM's management ranks, the aggressive use of incentives to sell its cars, ongoing losses in Europe, and a softening in the Chinese market, where GM is the leader.

There's also the thin pipeline of new models. Add it up, and investors may be better off taking a wait-and-see approach, says Peter Nesvold, an analyst with New York research firm Jefferies.

As soon as practical

The U.S. Treasury owned 61 percent of GM as a result of its 2009 bailout of the automaker. It sold shares equal to a 28 percent stake during the IPO and can unload the rest as early as May 18. In a January interview, Ron Bloom, head of the Obama Administration's auto-industry task force, said the government wanted to sell its GM shares "as soon as practical."

The Feds need a $53 share price to break even, and right now auto stocks are under pressure from higher oil prices and Japan's disaster, which has disrupted production for many carmakers. "Politically it would be hard for the administration to sell the remaining shares below the original deal price," says Nesvold.

A GM spokesman declined comment.

Even in China, a bright spot for GM over the last decade, there are challenges. Growth in the world's largest auto market slowed to 8 percent this year after reaching almost 30 percent in the fourth quarter. Some local governments, such as the city of Beijing, are placing restrictions on new-car sales to battle traffic congestion. In the long run, GM may struggle to sustain its 11 percent net margin in China as more competition continues to pour in.

Revolving door

The revolving door in GM's executive suite also has investors nervous, according to Brett D. Hoselton, analyst for KeyBanc Capital Markets. The carmaker is on its third CEO since it emerged from bankruptcy in 2009.

Same for its chief financial officers: The latest, Chris Liddell, left on Apr. 1 after 15 months on the job, saying he was ready for bigger things. He ceded the job to GM Treasurer Daniel Ammann. "I don't know what the management team will do," says Hoselton. "There's a lack of predictability."

Ammann attempted to calm Wall Street's nerves at a dinner with analysts on Apr. 7 by indicating he will be in the job for years. He also said GM's heavy spending on sales incentive -- at $3,300 per vehicle, they were the highest of any major carmaker in March -- will not become the status quo. Analysts said the next day they were satisfied that GM won't start a price war and may be firming up its management team.

Still, to say shareholders are feeling confident would be a stretch. Says Nesvold: "GM remains a 'show-me' story."

The bottom line: Management turnover, weakness in China, and big sales incentives have hit GM's stock, complicating Treasury's plans for an exit.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz1JhW0G0px

Old 04-16-11, 05:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

gm may get bailed out again if it keeps going the way it is.

how about getting the crapload of money given to uaw back in such a bailout?
Old 04-16-11, 05:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand the nervous and unstable stock market. But the way higher than average sales incentives to move metal smell too much like GM of the past.
Old 04-16-11, 08:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing that scares me the most is CEO Dan Akerson. They were stupid enough to go with this non car guy. There's nothing worse that an automaker can do. A number of others have done it and it never works out. What you end up with is lineups with no passion. Passion is what is going into the latest Ford's and Hyundai's. You can see what a difference it makes.
Without it, you get bean counter cars like the GM cars of the '80's to the early 2000's. You get rental fleet cars.

A couple of weeks ago, Akerson made it clear who he was when he equated cars to cans of Coke. Akerson recently told The Wall Street Journal that a GM car was just like the can of Diet Coke he was drinking during the interview. He said...

"GM has to start acting like a consumer-driven -- not [an] engineering-driven -- company," Akerson said. "We sell a consumer product -- our can just costs $30,000."

WTF????

This is exactly what caused GM's demise. Here we go again, unless the board is smart enough to can him (no pun intended).

They need another Bob Lutz to stay on this recent roll they've been on.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 04-16-11 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 08:41 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Will GM ever go completely bankrupt, or will they keep getting bailed out?

It would be interesting to see an automaker collapse.
Old 04-16-11, 10:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
Will GM ever go completely bankrupt, or will they keep getting bailed out?
People are probably wondering the same thing about Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, Saab, Volvo, and other auto companies that either keep getting rescued by government money or bought-out by other corporations.

It would be interesting to see an automaker collapse.
While I don't know of any entire auto-corporations that have folded recently (AMC, I believe, was the last, in the 1980's), just look at all of the individual-divisions that have been lost in the last 10-15 years.....Geo, Eagle, Plymouth, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn, and Hummer. And that, of course, doesn't include proposed divisions that never actually came about to start with, like Amati (Mazda's proposed luxury-division).

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-11 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 10:13 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
People are probably wondering the same thing about Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, Saab, Volvo, and other auto companies that either keep getting rescued by government money or bought-out by other corporations.
The bolded part I'm sure people don't mind at all. It's not using tax payer money to prop the failure up. If a company wants to use its own money to buy a failing company that's their decision. People had a big problem with the gov't using tax payer money to prop up the failure that was GM.

If they start going south again, I hope they are let to fail. Let other companies buy em out, or just let them collapse into obscurity.
Old 04-16-11, 10:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
The bolded part I'm sure people don't mind at all. It's not using tax payer money to prop the failure up. If a company wants to use its own money to buy a failing company that's their decision. People had a big problem with the gov't using tax payer money to prop up the failure that was GM.
Yes, I agree that there is some difference between tax money and corporate-money for buyouts. But the original question was whether the company would fold or not. And I'm sure that many of the employees and managers in a failing company that would stand to lose their jobs don't care whether it is tax money or corporate money that saves them.
Old 04-16-11, 10:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Feds need a $53 share price to break even
"Politically it would be hard for the administration to sell the remaining shares below the original deal price,"
Why? It probably wouldn't change a thing......the Feds have lost money on virtually everything else they've done since the late 1990's.
Old 04-17-11, 06:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why? It probably wouldn't change a thing......the Feds have lost money on virtually everything else they've done since the late 1990's.
less schools for kids dont change anything? nice.
Old 04-17-11, 07:08 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
The thing that scares me the most is CEO Dan Akerson. They were stupid enough to go with this non car guy. There's nothing worse that an automaker can do. A number of others have done it and it never works out. What you end up with is lineups with no passion. Passion is what is going into the latest Ford's and Hyundai's. You can see what a difference it makes.
Without it, you get bean counter cars like the GM cars of the '80's to the early 2000's. You get rental fleet cars.

A couple of weeks ago, Akerson made it clear who he was when he equated cars to cans of Coke. Akerson recently told The Wall Street Journal that a GM car was just like the can of Diet Coke he was drinking during the interview. He said...

"GM has to start acting like a consumer-driven -- not [an] engineering-driven -- company," Akerson said. "We sell a consumer product -- our can just costs $30,000."

WTF????

This is exactly what caused GM's demise. Here we go again, unless the board is smart enough to can him (no pun intended).

They need another Bob Lutz to stay on this recent roll they've been on.
While I agree Akerson scares the pi$$ out of me as CEO (just another govt puppet), I'll disagree with non-car guys being successful. Case in point- Alan Mulally came from an engineering background and Boeing, yet Ford is the BEAST that cannot be stopped right now. He saw the future, didn't borrow a dime, and now look at Ford's valuation against GM. Which company in healthier? Which has a brighter future? Who would you invest in? Not even close....

GM needs a CEO with a sack to come in, stay, and get things going in the right direction, but since Barry owns the company, it'll never happen....
Old 04-17-11, 08:03 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
While I agree Akerson scares the pi$$ out of me as CEO (just another govt puppet), I'll disagree with non-car guys being successful. Case in point- Alan Mulally came from an engineering background and Boeing, yet Ford is the BEAST that cannot be stopped right now. He saw the future, didn't borrow a dime, and now look at Ford's valuation against GM. Which company in healthier? Which has a brighter future? Who would you invest in? Not even close....

GM needs a CEO with a sack to come in, stay, and get things going in the right direction, but since Barry owns the company, it'll never happen....
That's a good point, but no doubt, Mulally loves cars too even though his background is elsewhere. Indeed, Mulally is a perfect man for the job. Engineering background and running Boeing to more success is very transferable to turning a car company around.

What I meant was that when you put finance guys or guys with no design or engineering background to head car companies, it turns disastrous. Like when Chrysler LLC recently put Bob Nardelly in the top spot. I believe he's already gone, but what a stupid *** move. These types of guys are nothing but bean counters interested in making cars as cheap as possible. Not about making cars as great as possible and still turn a reasonable profit.
Old 04-17-11, 08:10 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
That's a good point, but no doubt, Mulally loves cars too even though his background is elsewhere. Indeed, Mulally is a perfect man for the job. Engineering background and running Boeing to more success is very transferable to turning a car company around.

What I meant was that when you put finance guys or guys with no design or engineering background to head car companies, it turns disastrous. Like when Chrysler LLC recently put Bob Nardelly in the top spot. I believe he's already gone, but what a stupid *** move. These types of guys are nothing but bean counters interested in making cars as cheap as possible. Not about making cars as great as possible and still turn a reasonable profit.
Agree... Nardelli bankrupted Chrysler, and he almost destroyed Home Depot... a passion for your company is what works, not clueless business decisions based off spreadsheets.

Look at Palmisano at IBM... meets a customer EVERY day... think ANY of the GM clowns do that????
Old 04-17-11, 10:20 AM
ggravant
Driver

While it is true that Ford did not take the same bailout money that GM and Chrysler took, they did borrow money from the Fed during the financial meltdown, which they had every right to do. This is an interesting article that is mainly casting stones (boulders actually) at the Fed:

http://dailyreckoning.com/the-half-t...he-half-truth/

It is all taxpayer money, and if they all pay it back with interest, then great. I do agree, however, they if any of the big three are in danger of failing again, then the government should not be involved.
Old 04-17-11, 10:28 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ggravant
While it is true that Ford did not take the same bailout money that GM and Chrysler took, they did borrow money from the Fed during the financial meltdown, which they had every right to do. This is an interesting article that is mainly casting stones (boulders actually) at the Fed:

http://dailyreckoning.com/the-half-t...he-half-truth/

It is all taxpayer money, and if they all pay it back with interest, then great. I do agree, however, they if any of the big three are in danger of failing again, then the government should not be involved.
This was discussed at length already. Most here are aware that Ford (and BMW among others) took advantage of a short term lending opportunity from the Feds.

There is a massive difference between a short term loan and the government bailing out GM and Chrysler by injecting massive amounts of cash and taking over stocks, and essentially control of the automakers.

This new information proves, once again, that the government should not have bailed them out and GM and Chrysler should have died.

Quick Reply: The shine is off the new GM for investors