Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

mini Nissan Leaf review

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 11:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
Default mini Nissan Leaf review

Co-worker of mine was second on the list for a new Nissan Leaf from Santa Monica Nissan. After several delays, the vehicle finally arrived last Thursday. (Original promised date was early December.) But he was one of the lucky ones. His car left Japan one day before the earthquake hit. There have been no Leaf shipments since the earthquake and that isn't likely going to change anytime soon according to him.

Now to the car. I was not actually behind the wheel, but he gave me a decent ride around some blocks. Everything is VERY futuristic, from the interior to exterior styling, and dash and console displays. It looked and felt like it was built very well. On paper I had the notion this would be an unattractive shape, but it actually looked somewhat decent up close with it's clear taillights and swoppy roofline.

Some other notes: The "engine" has a fake cover on it to appear like a gas motor, there's no tailpipe, and it is absolutely SILENT at all times! It was an eerie and strange feeling throughout the whole drive. But I mean this in a good way. I kept thinking of the "People Mover" ride that was once at Disneyland back in the 80's. If not that, imagine any modern automated rollercoaster ride when it first starts off and accelerates. At low speeds or from a stop, there is an amazing build up of thrust that pins you back, with absolutely no motor noise to speak of. Not even an electric motor sound. Or at least I didn't hear one. It's just rapid forward motion like you'd feel anywhere but in a traditional car. Really trippy and VERY addicting!

The rest of the ride was pretty normal. He took one corner a bit more aggressively and I did notice some body roll. Nothing too bad though. I can't comment on braking since I didn't drive, but that too seemed pretty normal. Inside, there was a bunch of high tech dashboard/displays that he went over, but I was so enthralled over the acceleration, I couldn't begin to take much else in.

Overall, I was super impressed with how this car drove. However, I wondered if the wild, cartoonish acceleration would wear off as a novelty over time and started thinking how it would hold it's wow-factor for it's owner. One quick thought of never having to stop at a gas station again put any doubts to rest.
Attached Thumbnails mini Nissan Leaf review-leaf.jpg   mini Nissan Leaf review-leaf2.jpg   mini Nissan Leaf review-leaf1.jpg  
Old 04-17-11, 09:49 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

My gf's aunt got her's the same day after the four or five-month delay, as you mentioned. She's very environmentally-conscious, and she likes the cartoonish-look of the car. Her kids actually picked it out. Time will tell to see if Nissan made a worthwhile fuel-alternative vehicle. I still think it's like a Pokemon, but that's just me.
Old 04-18-11, 11:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for sharing, fizzboy....and congragulations to your co-worker on his purchase. I agree he was fortunate to actually get a Leaf...it is in high demand and short supply.

As you noticed with the low-speed acceleration, pure-electric motors have their greatest torque just as the engine starts from a stop (technically, at almost 0 RPM). Torque then diminishes as you gain speed, unlike a typical gas engine where torque typically peaks between 1500 and 4500 RPM, and HP at 5000 or above, though VTEC gas engines often peak somewhat higher.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-18-11 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-18-11, 01:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

congrats to your friend. Its an amazing car. With family in Nissan corporate I have been hearing about this car for almost 2 years now. Nissan really pulled it off with this little car. So much cheaper than the volt AND no need to give your money to government motors
Old 04-18-11, 11:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
congrats to your friend. Its an amazing car. With family in Nissan corporate I have been hearing about this car for almost 2 years now. Nissan really pulled it off with this little car. So much cheaper than the volt AND no need to give your money to government motors
Good points. Nissan is to be commended for their effort and price point. I believe the $7500 tax credit was applied to his purchase too.
Old 04-18-11, 11:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for sharing, fizzboy....and congragulations to your co-worker on his purchase. I agree he was fortunate to actually get a Leaf...it is in high demand and short supply.

As you noticed with the low-speed acceleration, pure-electric motors have their greatest torque just as the engine starts from a stop (technically, at almost 0 RPM). Torque then diminishes as you gain speed, unlike a typical gas engine where torque typically peaks between 1500 and 4500 RPM, and HP at 5000 or above, though VTEC gas engines often peak somewhat higher.
Thanks MM. Your reviews are my goal/inspiration. hehe

That's a great point about the low-end power vs. the freeway power. We only drove around city streets, so I can't comment on the freeway power. I will ask him what his power impressions are, but he'll likely say the same thing you did.

Maybe the next round of electrics will be the best of all three worlds: Great pick up off the line and on the highway, along with the high mileage. It's cool to watch all this stuff unfold and witness each version's improvements (minus Honda).