Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo Concept Universe

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 07:52 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Concept Universe

Volvo Universe shows Chinese look
This is Volvo’s Concept Universe, the first indication of the company’s future direction under Chinese ownership.

Unveiled at the Shanghai motor show, the Universe is described by Volvo as a “large, luxurious sedan with a new human-centric design language that honours the beautiful lines of classic Volvo models”.

Stefan Jacoby, president and CEO of Volvo, said the Concept Universe offers “a sneak preview of what people can expect from our next top-of-the-line sedan”.

Volvo exterior designer Jonathon Disley said the Universe project began 12 months ago, when the company’s designers were asked to consider a new form language for Volvo. They spent two days in the Volvo museum “looking at classic models from a different viewpoint”.

Disley said, “We felt that the most classic models were soft and voluptuous but also offered a sense of protection. We had a request from chairman Lee [boss of Geely, Volvo’s owners] to reflect the serenity in light when the sun is rising or setting and to create something intriguing in the nose.”

As a former Volvo owner, I don't like the direction they're headed. Styling wise, that is. That front end is terribly under styled.
Old 04-18-11, 08:04 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front grill and lights are very unique for sure, rear reminds of jaguar for some reason.

I like the suicide doors on this concept.

And is it just me, or are the exhausts tiny as ****?
Old 04-18-11, 08:08 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WTF is up with that hood bulge.
Old 04-18-11, 09:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

certainly interesting
Old 04-18-11, 09:59 PM
LexFather

Front end is really odd but I guess explaining their new grille. The rest looks good, great proportions but what Volvo needs to get through their heads is their most distinctive styling was the one they ABANDONED, the great boxy styling. That thing could be a Buick, a Saab, a Jaguar etc etc.

Go back to this but refine it.