Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I hate crazy hot million dollars concept cars!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 12:48 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the goal was to give us a partially blank canvas (production model) so that we can then modify it back to the concept level and thus continue the circle of life.

lol you had me with your premise but some of these examples you gave aren't that far off from the concepts.
Old 04-19-11, 12:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Just FYI - the LF-S was not the forbearer for the production 3GS, so that's not necessarily a good comparison.
I respectfully disagreed, every design details are identical, grill, headlights, fog lights, brake duck next to the fog lights..........roof line, side profile.....etc. It is the same car, just toned way down for production.
Old 04-19-11, 12:56 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I respectfully disagreed, every design details are identical, grill, headlights, fog lights, brake duck next to the fog lights..........roof line, side profile.....etc. It is the same car, just toned way down for production.

I think you're right on this one:

Lexus LF-S Concept Vehicle Makes Ú.S. Debut at the 2005 Los Angeles Auto Show

The Lexus LF-S concept car made its Ú.S. debut today at the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show. First introduced at the 2003 Tokyo Motor Show, the LF-S is a next-generation sedan that expresses the Lexus brand's new conception of luxury car design.

'The LF-series is much more than a parade of show cars,' said Denny Clements, Lexus group vice president and general manager. 'It represents a new design direction and new design language -- one that is bold and striking yet simple and intriguing.'

Seen for the first time in North America, the Lexus LF-S concept is a realization of a quest to define the essence of luxury in every detail. The concept vehicle seeks to provide a peak experience that fills the driver with exhilaration and provides comfort in every moment, while understanding and anticipating each individual user's constantly changing needs.

Always lòòking ahead, Lexus designers in concert with its engineers produced what is truly a 'design exercise in luxury,' revealing a preview of what lies ahead for future Lexus sedans. In designing the LF-S, Lexus used long integrated lines to simplify the form and shape of the vehicle. The wrap-around design, from the side of the vehicle all the way to the rear, virtually eliminates the rear corners of the vehicle and offers an example of how simplicity can be very intriguing.

Over the past year at major international auto shows, Lexus has offered hints of this new direction in design with the LF-series of concept vehicles. 'LF' is shorthand for a design language Lexus calls 'L-Finesse.' This design language has been artfully translated by the all-new 2006 Lexus GS, which arrives in March and is the first Lexus production vehicle to incorporate these new styling cues.

The new design approach is rooted in several years of study by Lexus of what luxury means for people today. More than just a 'new look,' the new Lexus design is intended to engage customers visually -- and emotionally -- with the brand.
Old 04-19-11, 12:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
I thought the goal was to give us a partially blank canvas (production model) so that we can then modify it back to the concept level and thus continue the circle of life.
The goal of a concept car is to show the public what they are making, what the future product is like. But they hyped it up so much to generate interest, then deliver a very water down production version.

lol you had me with your premise but some of these examples you gave aren't that far off from the concepts.
I am just posting during my lunch time, don't have times to find good examples
Old 04-19-11, 12:59 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I think you're right on this one:
Thank you

LF-S was first introduced at the 2003 Tokyo Motor Show.

3GS hit dealer floor at 2006.
Old 04-19-11, 01:01 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

The biggest offender right now is the original FT86 concept, it looks like a $300k Ferrari Scuderia.

Yeah you are getting that when you pay $20k for your new 2013 86
Old 04-19-11, 01:02 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concept

Production

Old 04-19-11, 01:07 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Even the LFA was toned down, the 2007 concept was quite a bit hotter:

Old 04-19-11, 01:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a difference between a concept that is intended to directly hint at a production model, and one that displays the first look at a new design language that will be applied to all production models. My point there is that the 3GS was simply the first L-Finesse Lexus so it was the first one to benefit from the design language that debuted on the LF-S.

LF-Xh was an RX concept.
LF-Sh was an LS concept.
LF-Ch was a CT concept.

LF-S and LF-Gh are "general" concepts, meant to showcase the future of the entire brand, less so one specific model.

There is a difference.
Old 04-19-11, 01:23 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

There's a difference between a concept that is intended to directly hint at a production model, and one that displays the first look at a new design language that will be applied to all production models. My point there is that the 3GS was simply the first L-Finesse Lexus so it was the first one to benefit from the design language that debuted on the LF-S.

LF-Xh was an RX concept.
LF-Sh was an LS concept.
LF-Ch was a CT concept.

LF-S and LF-Gh are "general" concepts, meant to showcase the future of the entire brand, less so one specific model.

There is a difference.
I understand what you meant, but you can't deny the 3GS looks identical to the LF-S.

The FT86 concept is directly hinting at the future production model, but the concept is a $300k car, hinting at a $20k production car

The FT86 II is already being water down, they are easing it in, so when the cheap looking production car hit, the disappointment doesn't hit so hard.

Old 04-19-11, 01:37 PM
LexFather

Concepts have always exaggerated features. Also many concepts are there for public feedback and the brand changes what they can according to feedback. They are not production cars so they don't have safety features that help uglify production cars.

Concept cars have always been an exciting part of the car scene.

I can understand maybe being disappointed b/c a concept car that was said to be close to production was really changed. Otherwise I don't really understand the hate for it.

I mean there are concept buildings, concept jewerly, concept planes, concept yachts...etc etc..

Old 04-19-11, 01:55 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

LF-Xh was an RX concept.
LF-Sh was an LS concept.
LF-Ch was a CT concept.

There is a difference.
You are right, concepts like the Benz F700 and F800 is hinting at future design language, not to any specific model. Although the F800 looks a lot like the latest CLS.

Old 04-19-11, 01:57 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concept is like a dream, beautiful and out of this world, yet far from reality. Why hate except for the unicorn nightmare that 1Sicklex post .
Old 04-19-11, 02:08 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Concepts have always exaggerated features. Also many concepts are there for public feedback and the brand changes what they can according to feedback. They are not production cars so they don't have safety features that help uglify production cars.

Concept cars have always been an exciting part of the car scene.
Agreed 100%.

Sure these kind of concept vehicles are really for concept only, to generate idea.

But concept like the FT86 is directly hinting at the production 86.

It is really a cost issue though, as concept car for the ultra highend hyper car looks pretty much identical to the production car, cars like the Veyron, Mclaren F1, One-77, XJ220....etc.

I bet you the production Galibier will look pretty much the same as the concept:

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can understand maybe being disappointed b/c a concept car that was said to be close to production was really changed. Otherwise I don't really understand the hate for it.
I hate it because I can't afford those million dollars cars that looks identical to the concept car
Old 04-19-11, 02:10 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by votru
Concept is like a dream, beautiful and out of this world, yet far from reality. Why hate except for the unicorn nightmare that 1Sicklex post .
LOL

Thank you guys for letting me get this off my chest

Quick Reply: I hate crazy hot million dollars concept cars!