Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Taurus SHO and Taurus updates

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11 | 06:09 PM
LexFather

Post 2013 Taurus SHO and Taurus updates

vs old

The big new for 2013 will be the addition of a 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine, which will become the second available EcoBoost engine for the model given the existence of the sport-tuned Taurus SHO. Ford promises that the new, smaller EcoBoost engine will help the Taurus achieve best-in-class fuel economy of “at least 31 miles per gallon freeway,” while delivering power ratings comparable to many naturally aspirated V6 engines in the segment.

3.5-liter V6 goes to school
With the addition of the 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine, Ford will now offer a total of three engines in the Taurus, with the base model remaining a 3.5-liter V6, albeit with a 27 horsepower bump to 290, thanks to the addition of twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT). Ford says that the Ti-VCT not only improved performance, but will also yield a boost to mileage as well, although EPA figures are not yet available.

The naturally aspirated V6 will come mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.

Let’s talk tiny EcoBoost
The nitty-gritty details on the 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine, the mid-level engine in the lineup, start with a 237 horsepower rating and 250 lb-ft of torque. This four-pot will help push the rather large Taurus sedan with the help of a six-speed automatic transmission. While EPA figures aren’t yet final, Ford is predicting “at least” 31 miles per gallon highway, but no estimate for the city was given.

Across all models Ford says that it made changes to improve overall vehicle efficiency, including a low-tension front end accessory drive belt, a smart battery management system, more aggressive fuel shutoff during deceleration, variable-displacement air conditioning compressor and reduced friction lubricants throughout the powertrain. While individually these changes may only contribute a fraction of a percent of improvement, Ford says the overall effect can equate to measurable improvements.

What else is new?

For starters, the styling has been tweaked across the lineup inside and out. From the front you should immediately notice an all-new front fascia and grille design, flanked by what Ford calls a “more muscular” hood design. At all four corners the Taurus now enjoys larger wheels and tires, intended to better fill the wheel wells and provide a planted feel and sporty look.

Ford also tweaked the rear quarter panels, upward, and fitted new fully LED taillamps. The result is a mid-cycle refresh that adds a pinch of style, a dose of technology and a zero gain diet.

Let’s talk tech
Also new for the entire Taurus lineup is the addition of EPAS, or Electric Power Assist Steering for those not quite hip on the acronyms used by the Blue Oval engineers these days. EPAS will help provide additional tune-ability for steering feel for each model, as well as reduce parasitic loss on the engine.

Continuing the story of improved driving dynamics begun with the addition of EPAS, Ford also reworked suspension bits by adding newly optimized springs and dampers to improve handling and ride quality. The Taurus also gains electronic torque vectoring, which was recently introduced in the 2012 Ford Focus. This technology is intended to replicate the effects of a true limited-slip differential without the added components thanks to computer-aided selective braking applied to inside wheels while navigating turns.

Borrowing from the utility side of Ford’s lineup, Taurus also gains curve control, another Ford-developed braking system that helps drivers who enter turns with too much speed to safely navigate the turn by properly slowing wheels individually in a way no driver could ever replicate on their own. The net result is a reduced turning radius, and hopefully, keeping the vehicle on the pavement in a moment of misjudgment.

More brakes, please
You might think two new technologies based on braking would be enough for a mid-cycle refresh, but Ford isn’t quite done yet. Ford has also upgraded its brake system across the entire Taurus lineup, involving a larger brake master cylinder with improved booster tuning that results in a shorter pedal ratio and improved braking feel. Ford says it also upgraded the braking materials themselves, reducing fade and improving stopping power.

Enough already, what’s it like inside?
As is the case with many Ford vehicles that have been recently introduced or updated, the new Taurus will come with a combination of eco-minded materials and advanced technology.

For example, the interior uses recycled materials in its cloth surfaces, headliner and for sound dampening materials found under carpets and attached to panels. And that seat you’re sitting on? Taurus seats also use soy-based foam, rather than petroleum, which helps reduce dependence on oil and leaves a more eco-friendly byproduct when the seats reach the end of their service lives.

As for the tech side of things, as expected Taurus gains access to Ford’s latest telematics system, MyFord Touch, but also retains the entry-level Sync system as an option as well. For the Taurus, Sync MyFord Touch uses an eight-inch display screen that is touch sensitive to allow occupants to control many functions of the vehicle ranging from stereo controls to seat warmers.

That’s all?
Not quite, Ford has also added a new heated steering wheel to complement the heated and cooled leather-trimmed seats, available Multicontour seats with Active Motion – a class-exclusive feature – that uses built-massagers to help keep the driver and front passenger alert and comfortable on long drives, Intelligent Access with push-button start and automatic high beams that sense oncoming traffic and automatically turn high-beams on and off.

Ford says it also went through the interior and improved overall craftsmanship, reduced the number of hard surfaces, and upgraded materials across the instrument panel and center console. Ford also wrapped the A-, B- and C-pillars in cloth, and flock-lined the glovebox and center console storage bin. Sound levels have also been reduced thanks to new A-pillar and cowl baffles, as well as sound absorbing liners for the wheel-wells.

Show me the SHO
While the changes to the standard sedan will be enjoyed by the largest number of customers, Ford says that its special high-ouput Taurus SHO also received a massaging worth discussing.

Although power was not bumped as expected based on previous rumors and suggestions, Ford instead focused on other areas of need, such as supplying a more substantial brake system and larger rotors all-around, torque vectoring control and sport-tuned EPAS. For those seeking even more fun in their SHO, Ford offers even better brakes with the Performance Package, along with 20-inch wheels wrapped in summer tires and enhanced heavy-duty cooling, borrowed from the Police Interceptor.

Ford is touting the 2013 SHO as the sportiest model to ever wear the iconic badge, which is also expected to earn as high as a 25 mpg highway rating.

Looks count
One of the main gripes with the 2010 Taurus SHO was that it lacked differentiation from the standard sedan. Buyers who were forking over the extra cash for the sport sedan wanted something to show for it, literally, so Ford says it listened and gave the 2013 SHO a fully unique front fascia, as well as changes to the wheels and rear fascia.

Compared to the bar grille on the 2010 and 2013 standard Taurus, the latest SHO features a dramatically different all-black mesh grille, not unlike that found on the lower fascia of the 2012 Focus. Also unique are the HID headlamp housings, SHO badging, unique 19-inch wheels that have “SHO” carved into them, black sideview mirrors, a unique rear decklid spoiler, and a painted section on the lower rear fascia.

Changes continue into the interior, with unique perforated leather-wrapped steering wheel and seats, as well as woven aluminum trim and aluminum pedals.

I want MORE!
And for you, Ford offers the SHO Performance Package, which offers package-specific tuning to the suspension – including unique dampers and springs – that goes above and beyond the standard SHO. Also changes are even further upgraded brake pads and track-tuned calipers, a re-calibrated EPAS configuration, the ability to completely disable stability control, a 3.16 final drive ratio for improved acceleration, extreme-duty cooling, 20-inch machined and painted wheels and 245/YR20 performance summer tires.
Old 04-19-11 | 06:44 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Nice...me likey new look.
Old 04-19-11 | 06:54 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Looks considerably more downscale, IMO.
Old 04-19-11 | 07:09 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

It gained the mustangs square jaw, which is a good thing it looks more aggressive and it will flow better with the square but.
Old 04-19-11 | 07:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

No thank you. That grill is horrible. And a 2013 Model Year? Did the 2012's even go on sale yet?

I do find the current Taurus attractive. 45-50k Taurus' and Hyundai's sure are shocking!
Old 04-19-11 | 07:18 PM
Hoovey689

I <3 Ford!!!! Nice updates to the Taurus. I believe it's a great package, an my only two gripes about this full size sedan is the curb weight and brakes. Although I don't think those two things were addressed in this refresh. Some other big news that has not been confirmed but I've posted on a few months ago was the power increase for the updated SHO. Ford engineers have hinted that the 3.5L ecoboost engine and 6-speed transmission can handle more power than what the current 365hp powertrain dishes out. I'd expect some revised figures somewhere around the 400hp mark if this rumormill comes to fruitation someday.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 04-19-11 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-19-11 | 07:49 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Finally the 2.0L is unleashed.
Old 04-19-11 | 08:01 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Man father recently test drove and ecoboost sho & f150....The guys gone stark raving mad I tell you. He lit up like a kid on Christmas. He's pondering the trade of his paid off lariat too go back in and get the ecoboost f150. We are no "Jeff Gordons," but we have been known to be some serious "drivers" ( whatever that means )...He noted the truck is scary fast after his test drive.

side note: The Ecoboost SHO is rumored at blue oval locations and have been said to be "faster than the current production line of mustangs." Hype or not, I'd be happy to see some of these ugly shaped mustangs off the road. hehe.

Joel
Old 04-19-11 | 09:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

These don't sell especially well, so the improvements are needed. It seems most US buyers opt for crossover SUVs ( by a wide margin) if they want something of this size.
Old 04-19-11 | 10:08 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

I like the current grill better....
Old 04-19-11 | 11:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Nice improvements and I give Ford credit for trying to head in a solid direction. But I am bugged by many detail issues. Before I get to those, here's some front-end observations.

The changed inside angle of the headlights make the biggest visual impact. Lets recall, these are the same shaped lights Ford used with the last Windstar. (Can we call them retro if they have only been retired for 15 years? j/k) Oh.... and the same ones Toyota is currently using on the Highlander. Many new Audis will have these lights too (A7, refreshed A4). I have a feeling the "reverse" headlight look is going to be a popular new styling trend coming up.

Now here's where some of the details fall short. The dinky tachometer looks like an afterthought and totally misses the mark in a performance oriented sedan. Lexus (IS-F, LF-A), Porsche, and Ferrari know to make the tachometer a priority. Then, we have the jumbo wheels and 4x4 look that does not help develop a sleek and sporty aura. Has anyone noticed how high up the back of a Taurus sits? It looks like it's been rear-ended. Lastly, the retro dashboard hints Ford didn't want to take a risk making their own version of a modern interior. Pesonally, I think that's cheap and a reflection of their abilities.

Too many compromises and too many other selections out there.
Old 04-20-11 | 05:22 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The standard model. I like the current one better.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 04-20-11 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-20-11 | 09:35 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Not really feeling the re-fresh. Like the current one better.
Old 04-20-11 | 09:38 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

That car looks like it's either got punched in the face or it has smelled something extremely foul..... one of the two...