Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Fiat 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 07:00 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I wouldn't buy a large FIAT and do the high mileages I put on my Lexus without expecting to have problems.

This guy doesn't have a problem with his high-mileage 1976 Fiat 131 Mirafiori, which was also sold in the United States as the Fiat Brava.

He's got 1,025,098 km (640 686 miles) on it. His first ever breakdown occurred at 878,582 km (549 113 miles) when the timing belt snapped.

The owner is quite eccentric. He's French and has traveled all over Europe with his little Fiat. He's been to the the western-most tip of Europe (the coast of Portugal) to the eastern-most tip of Russia as well as from the northern depths of Finland to the sunny southern-most tip of Italy. And he's even had his car shipped over the US for a roadtrip.

Source: http://www.autobild.de/klassik/artik...i-1596558.html
Old 06-23-11, 07:09 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I don't think it will be rated as the best FIAT model ever. However, like the UK MOT test, the German TUV test is merely a check to see if a vehicle is in a roadworthy condition on that day. So it checks lights, tyre tread depths, brakes etc, as well as structural soundness. It is not a test of reliability. Yes, it can give you a breakdown of figures of which models failed the most, but what did they fail on - failed brake light? Worn tyre? How much was down to vehicle build quality and how much was down to owner negligence? No one can tell you.

Warranty Direct, who sell warranties for used cars, track claims made against their policies, the number of days off the road and the cost of the claim. They publish annual reports of the cars they have paid out the most claims on and those that are the most reliable. They rank the FIAT Panda 15th most reliable, just below the Toyota Yaris and well above Toyotas such as the RAV4 and the Avensis, Verso etc. (nothing can touch the Toyota Corolla).

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/

They produce a Top 100 list, ranking the Panda as "Good", if the 500 can keep up that performance then FIAT won't have much to worry about.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100

Exactly, Andy.

The TÜV inspections exist to check the condition of the car and not to rate reliability. It also forces the German people to properly maintain and take care of their cars as the financial penalty charges can bleed you dry.

Since many Italian and French economy cars have a cheap buying price, they're generally bought by people who need a cheap car to get them from A to B and who, I've noticed, don't seem to take proper care of them. That means at TÜV inspections certain things like worn tires, a cracked taillight etc. earns the car negative points.
Old 06-23-11, 07:47 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Judging by the fact that my dealer has 90 500s in stock, I'm gonna say the 500 is a failure in the marketplace. This is too much stock when even the Toyota dealer down the road doesn't have 90 Toyotas to sell.

It's still a new car that most people don't know about. Give it some time.

The MINI has sold well because it was marketed well and because many people also knew of the original MINI Cooper. Hardly anyone in the US knows about the original Fiat 500.
Old 06-23-11, 07:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Exactly, Andy.

The TÜV inspections exist to check the condition of the car and not to rate reliability. It also forces the German people to properly maintain and take care of their cars as the financial penalty charges can bleed you dry.

Since many Italian and French economy cars have a cheap buying price, they're generally bought by people who need a cheap car to get them from A to B and who, I've noticed, don't seem to take proper care of them. That means at TÜV inspections certain things like worn tires, a cracked taillight etc. earns the car negative points.
that is simply not correct, and you guys are deceiving them, but ok :-).
Old 06-23-11, 07:54 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
A similar example:

Through 1991, Zastava sells almost 145,511 Yugos across America. The price is laughable; the car, while not designed for highway driving of the sort that makes up most Americans' commutes, is reliable enough if maintained. Trouble is, few people who pay $4,000 for a new car are willing to commit to keeping it in shape, particularly in a country where the cost of a mechanic's services can be exorbitant.

http://automobear.com/Default.aspx?b...ava&model=Yugo
Old 06-23-11, 08:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Judging by the fact that my dealer has 90 500s in stock, I'm gonna say the 500 is a failure in the marketplace.
Right now, I can't agree.....it's too early to say that. The dealer network is still quite sparse, especially away from major cities. Only a few of them (relatively) are actually open for buisness, although more of them are gradually coming every day. A second one, for example, just opened in the D.C. area, and a few more are planned.

And having a lot of cars in stock is not necessarily a bad thing. The dealership where I did my 500 review, for example, had a number of cars in stock in all 14 colors and all trim-levels that were offered at the time......something that can't be said for many vehicles and dealerships. That, of course, makes it easier for the customer to find exactly what he or she wants.
Old 06-23-11, 09:49 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you sure it is a real Abarth underneath, and not just a couple of stripes pasted on? If he is an official Fiat rep, maybe he does indeed has one, but (as of today) Fiat still doesn't have it on their American web site, and the reps at the dealership said it would arrive in America near the end of the year.
I'm pretty sure it was the real thing as it had dual exhaust and definitely a different exhaust note than other regular 500s he's been bringing home for the past year. Most of the cars have had "M" manufacturer plates.

He lives around the corner from the couple who are managers at the Ford F-150 plant (they have a different F-150 in their drive every night). We've joked about loading the 500 into the F-150. Other neighbors include an engineering manager at the GM proving grounds, a sales manager at a Nissan dealership, the owner of a Range Rover dealership, and the president of one of the Japanese transplant auto suppliers. One of the sr. engineering managers from Nissan used to live down the street until he was transferred. Our neighborhood is filled with current and retired auto and supplier folks.
Old 06-23-11, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I'm pretty sure it was the real thing as it had dual exhaust and definitely a different exhaust note than other regular 500s he's been bringing home for the past year. Most of the cars have had "M" manufacturer plates.
OK...I'll buy that. In that case, it probably was a pre-released Abarth model, particularly with an "M" plate.

He lives around the corner from the couple who are managers at the Ford F-150 plant (they have a different F-150 in their drive every night). We've joked about loading the 500 into the F-150. Other neighbors include an engineering manager at the GM proving grounds, a sales manager at a Nissan dealership, the owner of a Range Rover dealership, and the president of one of the Japanese transplant auto suppliers. One of the sr. engineering managers from Nissan used to live down the street until he was transferred. Our neighborhood is filled with current and retired auto and supplier folks.[/
Damn.....there's no excuse for you not getting a good deal now on just about anything you'd want.

(just kidding).

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-23-11 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-23-11, 10:20 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

...Damn.....there's no excuse for you not getting a good deal now on just about anything you'd want.

(just kidding).
Alas, no Toyota / Lexus execs or dealers that I know of.
Old 06-23-11, 11:00 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
The point about the TUV inspection simply is correct and you know it.
Old 06-23-11, 11:58 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Judging by the fact that my dealer has 90 500s in stock, I'm gonna say the 500 is a failure in the marketplace.
Its a total failure in terms of marketing.

I've seen ZERO commercials for Fiat, and finding out where and when dealerships are opening up is almost impossible.

Right now, they are basically relying on word of mouth alone and a few internet or magazine articles about the car...

Thats just not enough to launch a car company.
Old 06-23-11, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
I've seen ZERO commercials for Fiat, and finding out where and when dealerships are opening up is almost impossible.

Thats just not enough to launch a car company.
It's not hard at all. Fiat has a complete list of dealerships (studios, in Fiat-speak) that either are open now or are scheduled to open later.

http://www.fiatusa.com/en/find_a_dealer.html

Some, though, for various reasons, are running behind schedule.

You're correct there are few TV ads for Fiat (I've only seen one), but there are a number of full-page ads in auto magazines.
Old 06-23-11, 04:34 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Automotive News had a story today that Fiat is launching a national ad campaign starting in July. It looks to be mainly a print and online. Here's a positive review from the Detroit Free Press.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011062...hrough-traffic
Old 06-24-11, 12:13 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

It's not hard at all. Fiat has a complete list of dealerships (studios, in Fiat-speak) that either are open now or are scheduled to open later.

http://www.fiatusa.com/en/find_a_dealer.html

Some, though, for various reasons, are running behind schedule.
I know of at least two on that list with bad information.

The second problem is that the dealers don't seem to be advertising independently either...

Or maybe there just aren't enough in the first place? I don't know, either way they've had cars here for quite awhile and not enough people know about them.
Old 06-24-11, 06:36 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

I believe they have been holding back on major advertising for a number of reasons:

- Lack of cars
- Lack of open studios
- Maintaining the hype for early-adopters. You have to really want a 500, search out the dealer, and be willing to pay MSRP. They didn't want to start out with a fire sale. One of the long-time issues with domestic small cars was their inability to sell them for a profit.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2012 Fiat 500